Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » example of a5 with an ImGui library

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
example of a5 with an ImGui library
mmomar
Member #15,674
July 2014

In my gui I only look for a button press, not a release. I could change it, but I don't know, I like the immediacy of the button press, instead of a 2 step process.

For buttons only that's ok but other widgets may need a press-release scheme and then you don't want to have inconsistent behaviour. Notice that pretty much all modern OS adopt this push-release way, which also plays better with inputs that aren't very precise (e.g. touch screen). It also allows to integrate other features such as drag and drop. Again there's no single answer it depends what you do, but 2 step is more in line with standard OSes.

Quote:

It's very interesting to remove the data from the widgets, but in some cases doesn't that make it the users job to store the data?

Hmm.. Yes and no. If the user needs to read and write data from a widget in a rmgui context it usually means you'll have a copy of the data. There might be occasional cases were you need to store data, but compare that to rmgui where you always have to store data (you always need to store a handle to widgets).

Quote:

How do you control your layout in imgui? It is just a single global flow layout that all the widgets use? Or do you have others, and if so, are they difficult to create in imgui?

That's the part that is less obvious to get right with an imgui implementation, and personally I haven't tackled layout very much yet (and hope to do so eventually). For the sort of tools I made, layout was rarely an issue. In practice, simple stacking horizontally or vertically, grid, or filling remaining space is generally enough. Creating resizeable spaces (like I'm doing with columns) isn't a problem. What's hard to get right is if you want to measure the size of items and feed that back in the layout in an submission-order independent way. It probably has to be done in two passes. Unity solves that by running the gui code multiple times (e.g. maybe in the first pass it only does size measurement, then layout, etc. just a guess). How I think I'll solve more intricate layout is that I'll have layout primitive store state and the layout would only be applied on the second frame (effectively there would be a frame of lag, perhaps for a new window it means the window isn't showing during the first frame. During resizing interaction the frame of lag shouldn't be noticeable). But this is a rather open topic that I suppose people are trying to address in different ways.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

In my gui I only look for a button press, not a release.

Mine has the full press-on-hover-then-release-on-hover behavior.

I'm cool like that. 8-)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

In Agui, I made a mouseClick event, which requires the press and release to be on the same Widget. If it is a left mouseClick on a button I give an actionPerformed event.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

It would be silly easy to add in the press release scheme alongside my own. Just make a second event. One for the widget button press and one for the press hover release.

You guys do realize this thread nearly made all our libraries obsolete at once, don't you? I for one do not care. I will continue working on my retained mode gui regardless. I want it to come to some minimum kind of completion and I still enjoy working on it.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

And I have too much code invested in my gui hahah. But this is really cool once you understand its potential. I'm surprised I had never heard of it before.

mmomar
Member #15,674
July 2014

The most important think is to keep writing your own new code as much as possible this is how we all learn. Btw ImGui still have lots of issues and lacking features it's not like its making anything obsolete :P

Pho75_
Member #12,377
November 2010

I dislike passing the properties of the widgets as parameters in your RenderWidget functions,
but that's easy to move into the gui context.
But on the whole I think this is a very elegant API.

I'm not converted to the immediate-mode paradigm,
but this has inspired me to allow immediate-mode processing of events in my gui library.
If your needs are simple (which is probably the case often enough) it really is very convenient to just handle all your events in one function vs. sub-classing widgets and adding listener routines.

I'm a firm believer in "creating options" for the programmer and not dictating methodology.

Thanks.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

mmomar said:

The most important think is to keep writing your own new code as much as possible this is how we all learn. Btw ImGui still have lots of issues and lacking features it's not like its making anything obsolete :P

You're too kind. ;)

I have to admit I really like the idea of batching geometry. It would be interesting to implement the same in my own gui, but I doubt I would get to that anytime soon. It's so much more efficient from a hardware point of view.

1   2 

Go to: