Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Proposal: Push out a Release Candidate / Dev Version of the "most stable" 5.1

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Proposal: Push out a Release Candidate / Dev Version of the "most stable" 5.1
Phrasz
Member #10,091
August 2008

I feel people are losing interest, since it appears that Allegro is dead in the water. A simple "as-is" RC/Dev version might stimulate some traffic/talk/etc.

Thoughts?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Phrasz said:

A simple "as-is" RC/Dev version

What is that, exactly? AFAIK, the Allegro license is already free to use however you want as long as you don't claim to have written the whole thing.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Yeah, I think you are pretty much free to fork and continue the project it in any way you wish.

I do not think the project is dead by any definition of dead. There is regular activity on the mailing lists.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Dennis said:

I do not think the project is dead by any definition of dead.

I tend to think it is, due to the low level nature etc. when there are so many other things like OGRE and Unity, and I keep an eye out toward glfw and OpenAL.

OTOH, I've been doing exactly that for 10 years since Allegro 3.x days and haven't really produced anything because I keep allowing distractions to interfere, or is it a type of procrastination?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I think he means a binary release of the current state of the 5.1 source tree, and maybe implicitly something like the 'nightlies' that other (much larger) projects have. I don't think the pace of Allegro development could justify such a rapid release cycle but it is definitely true that interest is waning and visible activity could help that.
I've no idea what would be involved; SF.net used to have its compile farm for this sort of thing but that's long gone.
Pete

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think were almost ready for a new 5.1 wip release. Its lo g overdue but the manpower is lighter now since Peter left. He did a lot of boring tedious work as well as bug fixes and features. We need to pick up where he left off...

I'll eventually get a compile farm setup but that won't be I time for the release most likely.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

I agree we should get a 5.1.9 (IIRC) release out there preferrably before the end of the year. Maybe I'll be able to help a bit as well with the upcoming holidays...

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

since Peter left.

When did that happen?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

When did that happen?

A few months ago I think. I gather (but am guessing) he got fed up with people assuming he was the boss, and being left to do all the boring shit. Also the occasional bitch about some change he makes (I'm guilty of that...).

The last thing I recall him saying anywhere was "This isn't my personal project" after someone implied he was (sort of) the project's benevolent dictator.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

I guess I was the one who mistakingly assumed that. Sorry, Peter. :(

But anyway, now we have to pick up the shards and get going at it again.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Well, there aren't really any "shards". The project isn't broken, but development has been slowing down, even since before Peter left. But that's normal for a project that's nearing "good enough" for most of the developers ;)

I think before the wip is made, we need some more testing of the new stuff, and maybe even figure out if we can backport any of the existing changes to a 5.0 release. After that, we can just go through the release steps. It's pretty simple once we've decided on a release point. Just make a branch for the new version, change the version number in that branch to the new release number, and I think there's some misc stuff to do when making the enduser archive though I'm not sure what atm. Last we need someone to make binaries.

--

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Making binaries is the difficult part :P

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Who's running http://allegro5.org/? It seems to be doing daily builds on OS X, Linux and Windows. Is it possible to make the resulting packages available for download?
Pete
ps. Sorry to hear about Peter Wang - was that on [AD] that he quit? I am still subscribed to that list and I don't remember seeing that.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I just now realized there were two Peters.

:o

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Oops, replied to this on the mailing list accidentally. I will build binaries if someone does the rest

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Someone got into a rage fit and reverted one of Peter's commits without even asking first... that certainly didn't contribute to his desire to keep spending 100s of hours of his free time on the project :/

I'm running allegro5.org, and yes, making those binaries distributable certainly was the idea. Mainly would need some testing. But I didn't have much time recently and probably won't until after August 1st.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I don't remember anyone reverting any of Peter's commits. Could you point out the git revision?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Has anyone... apologized to him?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Pretty sure it never happened, so I doubt it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I recommend releasing ASAP. All of the bug reports might liven things up and motivate the developers to spend extra time on Allegro! To assist in the community's motivation to prove you wrong, publish it as bug-free and Allegro 5.2.999.

"Good enough for the developers," you say?! My program crashes and it's your fault! >:(

;)

It might also encourage some of the people that use it to contribute bug reports and maybe even get their own psyches dirty with the Allegro source.

You can just fix it with 5.2.999.1, et. al. Or roll up to 5.2.1xxx. Don't bother going to 5.3 though. That just feels like you're starting over again and everybody has to wait another 5 years.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

The last time a release was brought up (which was by Peter Wang about a year ago), there was a list of things that he mentioned that needed to be done. We have two options: either go and fix all of those things, or just release it now as-is.

First of all, nobody has volunteered to do anything about this theoretical release yet so asking for those things to be fixed might be far-fetched. Second, I don't think Allegro git is in bad shape right now. I released a game a couple months ago (and have done a few releases since then) that runs on every platform Allegro supports and I didn't have any problems. Nothing much has changed in Allegro over that time.

So unless someone is willing to help me with fixing those issues, and I mean real help not "Ok, that sounds great, hope it gets done!", I suggest we just do a release now. I volunteered to build binaries but I don't know the release process so I can't help with that unless someone documents it. And I'm not going to set up automatic builds at this point, it's too much work. I can build for every platform in a day or two, automatic builds would take a week minimum to set up, probably more.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

First of all, nobody has volunteered to do anything about this theoretical release yet so asking for those things to be fixed might be far-fetched.

Eh. They need done regardless. If they get done before the release, so much the better.

--

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Quote:

Either help out or stop whining.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm willing to help out in areas I understand, and put some effort into areas I don't.*

But I need to find a way to get "in the loop" to see outstanding issues, as the roadmap doesn't go into enough detail. I subscribed to the mailing list but I've only seen like two e-mails so far.** It'd be nice if there was a side journal / blog / something for people to read to get caught up on people's thought-processes instead of just looking at blanket code... for example, a "code journal" blog writable by anyone on the mailing list to document thoughts, concerns that go into changes in the works. Personally, if I was a random programmer thinking about contributing, something like that would really help me join a project. It's really hard to get "caught up" on a project by listening to the middle of already started conversations.

*disability disclaimer: I have serious health issues that I cannot predict right now, so I feel the need to mention my inability to have hard commitments at the moment.

**I think I selected "weekly digest" come to think of it, so they've probably been flying and I haven't seen them yet.

-----sig:

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

You haven't missed anything, mail on the list is slow to non-existent right now. From Peter's post to the mailing list in June 2013:

#SelectExpand
1The big one is the build system for the Android port. I would like 2(most) of the examples to build for Android on a Linux host. They don't 3have to run especially well, but once the examples are easily runnable 4on a device we will surely flush out many bugs. And, ultimately, users 5should not need to manually set up an Android-specific project to use 6the port. 7 8 9Going through the 5.1 additions in the docs, here are some things: 10 11* al_get_audio_event_source, as I wrote in January: 12 13 The aqueue driver is the only one which emits these new events. 14 [...] 15 I think the events can and should be generated by the driver's 16 solitary voice instead of a new special purpose audio event source. 17 18* iphone specifics changes as mentioned in January 19 20* I don't understand the documentation for 21 ALLEGRO_EVENT_DISPLAY_CONNECTED/DISCONNECTED. 22 What is the relation of the "display" event source to the physical 23 display? 24 25* I think people are looking at the menu API now. 26 27* audio recording API should be reviewed 28 29* the video addon can be trimmed a bit I think 30 31* (vague reservations about the auto-convert bitmap API still)

Check the mailing list archive from that time on Sourceforge for more messages about it. A few of these things may have been done, ask if in doubt.

1   2   3 

Go to: