Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » I make it rain commits

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I make it rain commits
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Not promising anything because the conditions of my disability at the moment.

But what needs work on Allegro 5? Where would one get started on contributing? I run Windows, but I prefer Linux for all my development work.

In light of recent posts, if we want to work on a portable transparent window function call, I'd take a stab at it. That would probably take all of 30 minutes to track down the function calls, and much longer testing, discussing and documenting the API.

[edit] I've always wanted multiple keyboard / mouse support for my games. Maybe I'll take a gander into that.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Maybe you could make it a display option? ALLEGRO_TRANSPARENT. That way you can avoid everything involved in adding a new function.

My body don't lie I'm out of my mind, make it rain over a.cc!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Seems to me you'd need a handle to the root window/desktop, which would have far-reaching effects, since it'd just about have to be global.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Seems to me you'd need a handle to the root window/desktop, which would have far-reaching effects, since it'd just about have to be global.

Is that a problem? al_set_new_display_flags() controls global state like whether it's fullscreen, windowed, or "frameless" windowed.

You could add a flag there for when the window is generated. But I'm not up-to-date on A5. It looks like that function is a "call once at setup and never again" type. So that would rule out changing the flag at run time, yes? (Though, one could easily leave it on and just not use it.)

al_set_new_display_option(), seems more like the the right place to me ("Display options differ from display flags, and specify some details of the context to be created within the window itself.") but none of the listed options really seem similar to what we'd be setting.

I'll probably spend some time looking at the *NIX / Windows API calls and see if "run-time" switch is even an option on them. If not, that particular problem solves itself.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

There is also the Road Map if you'd like to know which features were planned (more or less). Also ask Siegelord.

https://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Allegro_roadmap

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

A more appropriate place to discuss changes is on the developer mailing list (alleg-developers@lists.sourceforge.net) where the actual developers that know the state of the code, and what needs to be done, and how to best go about it reside. You could also just send a message to the users mailing list (alleg-main@lists.sourceforge.net), which is still more likely to get the attention of the developers than this thread is. You can also consider joining IRC if you want to procrastinate and get nothing done: #allegro on irc.freenode.net. There is also a developer channel.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

which is still more likely to get the attention of the developers than this thread is.

I find it a little strange that the developers of Allegro wouldn't frequent the web forum dedicated to their project!

beoran said:

Allegro roadmap

Hmm. Not a whole lot that leans towards my interests at the moment. Some of those points are pretty vague too. I'll just have to get on the mailing list like you guys said.

I've had an idea for a year or so for an advanced control library that fully encapsulates controllers from their effects. Inbetween those, sits an elegant XML-like map that basically lets you use any type of device to control any type of effect, and users can easily write their own. But while it'll likely work directly with the Allegro event system, it'll probably be considered a separate add-on. The net effect would be, any game running this library, can support any new controller that's ever designed as well as any alternative layout that would be more preferable for someone with disabilities. A "3rd-party" tool might also be developed to make non-supported games work, though less elegantly, because my library plans to expose the context. That is, "joystick X button" doesn't map to "keyboard A" it maps "select in menu systems" and "attack in gameplay."

Quote:

Consider merging Emscripten port of Allegro.

Mmmm.... this interests me.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I find it a little strange that the developers of Allegro wouldn't frequent the web forum dedicated to their project!

These never used to be the official forum. Actually, liballeg.org used to have its own forum, AFAIK, or maybe the SourceForge site did. Allegro.cc is Matthew Leverton's personal Web site, which was not officially affiliated with the Allegro project, AFAIK. Now liballeg.org seems to link here for the forums, but that must be relatively recent... I'm not sure who is hosting that now. I think that was more or less just surrendering to defacto standards since these boards used to be so popular.

That said, most open source projects organize development using mailing lists, with a little bit of IRC in between. Discussion boards like this are more for users because they are easier to access and more pretty for newbies. Developers may peek in now and then, but mostly they let experienced users provide support to the forum and stay focused on development behind the scenes.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Devs frequent the forums. But its not where the work gets done.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: