Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Audio Surround Echo Effect Question

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Audio Surround Echo Effect Question
Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

I have a question for those of you with some audio-editing experience: I'm doing some of the initial sound effects for my game and I want some of them to have an echo effect that makes it sound like they're coming from all around you, as opposed to from a specific direction. Yet, this seems to be a little more complicated than just copying the effect once or twice and shifting both its pan and timing, so I'm wondering what advice everyone has on doing such an effect and making it sound really good. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I would start by getting the sound you want out of a wave editor and working from there. What settings produce the desired effect in, say, Aucacity (or Ardour, or Audition, or Any Available Audio Aoftware...)?

When you know the specific effect you want, it'll be easy to find the algorithm to reproduce it.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Reverb and EQ'ing higher frequencies (reducing) can help to give the impression of distance, combine that with panning (look up 3D equalisation); very basically:

"Left to right stereo spread is the horizontal plane (x), the entire frequency spectrum is the vertical plane (y), and front to back is your depth (or z plane). You work in the X plane with the stereo pan positioning, the Y plane with equalization, and the Z plane with time based effects such as reverb and delay and the wet/dry balance of those effected tracks"

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Use openal and get positional audio \o/

I am not sure however if it lets you have a single stream sound like its coming from everywhere rather than a specific direction...

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I am not sure however if it lets you have a single stream sound like its coming from everywhere rather than a specific direction...

IIRC, sounds are perceived to come from front or back because echoes from surrounding objects stay the same, but the primary sound waves aren't focused by the outer ear when coming from behind.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

Dizzy's advice got me closer to the effect I want, but still not quite there... I think I might try looking up some Audacity plugins, see if someone hasn't created one that can produce the effect more easily than manually repositioning audio tracks and tweaking numerous reverb values. ;)

That said, you can get an idea of the nearly exact echoing effect I'm going for with the menu sounds found in Pinball FX 2, for those of you who happen to have that game.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Once I created a stereo effect, where I got the whole stereo image rotating around. It was like all musicians were standing in a half circle and then the circle started to rotate. Center panned players moved to the left, as well as the far right panned players, while the left panned players started to move to the right. Each player oscillated back and forth between far left and far right, in their own phase. I must have mentioned it on this forum. Though I never implemented it in Audacity. Only in A4.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Go to: