Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Interesting Music related Kickstarter

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Interesting Music related Kickstarter
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I just heard about this kickstarter a few days ago, and thought people here might be interested.

It's called imitone, and it lets you hum, whistle or make noises into a microphone, and it will play an instrument with the same pitch/note as what it hears. It can output midi commands as well. There will be a VST, and likely an iPhone app due to stretch goals being hit (Android may or may not make it). It'll be on Windows, Mac, and Linux, though the linux side is "mostly unsupported".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evanbalster/imitone-mind-to-melody

I have wanted a thing like this for years. I keep having tunes pop in my head that I really really like, but have no way to actually write them down, or convert to actual music. Sure I could learn a tracker or something, but I tried, and so far my attempts lead to my perfectionism and impatience kicking in. Get frustrated far before getting the actual melody into music form. A lot of the time I start to get the tune messed up in my head, so I end up with garbage :(

So yeah. might be of interest to some of you! I gave em money.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I see a couple of problems with this. The people that want this (generally non-musicians) probably have fairly poor pitch and don't know it. So what they are attempting to hum is probably not what they actually are humming. I probably fit into that camp too.

Secondly, and based on the first thing, in order to appeal to a wider audience the resulting product will probably end up a cheap gimmick that always produces a pleasant result, even if the input is nothing like it. Which just ruins the whole idea.

I think there is some potential for something like this, but I'm not enthusiastic that this project will succeed in making it.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

site said:

1,789 Backers
$62,962 pledged of $20,000 goal
3 days to go

So he probably has more than he needs right now. Might make him lazy. And what's the pop filter at the microphone for? He's sitting 5 feet away.

Enough of :P. The project is definitely :D.
I have no troubles entering music with a midi keyboard or clicking, but I'd still use this tool. It would suit my laziness. I tend to come up with interesting stuff when I'm in a lazy mood. A subconsciousness thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It's called imitone, and it lets you hum, whistle or make noises into a microphone, and it will play an instrument with the same pitch/note as what it hears.

This could be done with the FFT stuff I'm messing with, assuming you had the instrument samples. I'm only halfway through it all though, it's complicated.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Sounds like an awesome idea.

I've started learning the Ukulele :o It's amazing how easy it was to pick up, and it's so much fun to play.

bamccaig said:

The people that want this (generally non-musicians) probably have fairly poor pitch and don't know it.

You would be surprised how universal the Penatonic scale is. Although many people are tone deaf, they are still a minority even amongst non-musicians.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Derezo said:

It's amazing how easy it was to pick up.

I see.
{"name":"papercraft-ukulele-sample.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/0\/600fa9c7e8211145c540954147581fb7.jpg","w":470,"h":664,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/0\/600fa9c7e8211145c540954147581fb7"}papercraft-ukulele-sample.jpg

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I've uploaded some stuff on SoundCloud.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

I think there is some potential for something like this, but I'm not enthusiastic that this project will succeed in making it.

Dev was started before the kickstarter ahem.. started. It exists now.

And it doesn't seem like they would hard code the pitch correction. IMO it's a good feature, but hard coding it would limit it's usability.

I'm just excited to see it. Should it work even half as well as I hope, I'll have some fun with it.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I'll be interested to see how the midi comes out, if it includes pitch bend etc. If that side of it is pretty tight, it could be a really useful tool, to get down an initial melody. From there tweaking the midi would be no different to what I do know, but without the pain of writing the melody initially.

I might chuck £20 their way and keep my eye on it.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I went and pitched (ha?) in for the prime version, just in case. Hopefully I'll still be able to get the plain version if prime ends up being a bit much.

--

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

but have no way to actually write them down, or convert to actual music.

1. Get a voice recorder, and record your hums
2. Play your hums while you're using a tracker and match the tones (hopefully you're not tone deaf)

I once tried composing a musical piece by recording and reconstructing my hums... although the tune sounded interesting in my head, when actually examined/reconstructed it was full of repeated notes, essentially a drum line. The attempt was a failure, and I never tried to compose music that way again.

This will only be useful to musicians or people with musical skill. That said, I've yet to meet a musician who didn't master the basic skill of transcribing music to notes.

EDIT: Wow, so many typos.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

Music in my mind is polyphonic, I can't hum that!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

One voice at a time?

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm not entirely sure what's so difficult about it... it's just a tuner/pitch-recognizer, clamps to real pitches on a scale, and then sends them to MIDI.

As for the "you can't hum on tune" that's not really a problem if it's not live. People will be at most a few semitones off and as long as those notes are starting and ending at the right times, that's the most annoying part of sequencing. The timing.

All that being said, I had a piece of hardware that did that almost ten years ago.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/592

And it took six notes at a time and coupled them with an exhaustive, beautiful synth library.

I ended up selling it though because I bought it when I was young and had way more money than sense. It was super expensive. ($600+)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

I really can't hum but I whistle like a pro....would that work?

:P

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

The violin is quite useless, too. I know lots of people who simply just cannot play it. Stupid invention.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

SiegeLord said:

2. Play your hums while you're using a tracker and match the tones (hopefully you're not tone deaf)

I've tried that multiple times. It works to a degree, but I still need to work the tracker and not screw up the idea I had going.

--

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

SiegeLord said:

Yeah I've done that before too.

Make a super long pattern and start the long sample at the beginning, have to start from the beginning every time otherwise you miss the note start, makes it a pain later on.

Cut it up and then you have gaps but once you got the melody down in parts you can fix the timing up.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

m c said:

Make a super long pattern and start the long sample at the beginning, have to start from the beginning every time otherwise you miss the note start, makes it a pain later on.

Is this a recording or playback issue? If it's the former, I'm not sure what you expect... unless you're super talented (in which case you already think in notes) you won't get it right on the first time. If it's the latter, then get a better playback software. I used Audacity for recording and playback, and it lets you select the start and end of a segment you play. Something that can rewind some time period in the past would work too.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Just discovered Newtone can do this in FLStudio already!

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

SiegeLord said:

If it's the latter, then get a better playback software.

Yeah SiegeLord, people tell me that all the time. Actually maybe I will try audacity next time.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I was using a wave-to-midi program last century... So what's all the hubbub, bub? Fourier analysis has been around a while.

So I suppose the point of this Kickstarter (and why it's been received so well) is that it bundles pre-existing technology into just the right package.

Go to: