Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Allegro 5 "marketing" :)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5 "marketing" :)
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

None of these logos are any good - for the love of Christ don't change anything until we get someone for real to show how logos are done. :(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Only Mark and I left on the sanity boat. :-/

Some of these are interesting sketches that might make for the beginnings of some animated intro to a game of a similar graphical style, but as logos... not even close. :-X

There's nothing wrong with a basic font logo as is currently used. Unoriginal and uninspiring as it may be, at least it's not downright embarrassing because obviously no effort was taken and nobody thinks it's awesome.

Anyway, the best "marketing" would be great games that use the library. Proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Second to that is excellent documentation on how to install the library (e.g., pre-built libraries for all platforms), and then a well written tutorial/guide of how to use the library.

Obviously even if it takes a person 8 hours to learn how to install Allegro on his favorite platform, that only represents an insignificant amount of time in the grand scheme of making a complete game. But that's not how people feel when they are getting started. So working on making Allegro beginner-friendly is the best way to get more people to use it.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Some of these are interesting sketches that might make for the beginnings of some animated intro to a game of a similar graphical style, but as logos... not even close.

I partly agree cause...

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with a basic font logo as is currently used.

...this is only because there is no logo proper, as it stands Allegro has no logo whatsoever and this is the only reason I just say you are right.

There is nothing wrong in "being from the 90s" per se, it is actually an asset!

But just consider this as an example:

2D Libraries

SDL - SimpleDirect Media Layer

It’s beginner friendly, simple ( relatively ), cross platform, well supported and is used to make commercially shipping products ( like the recently release Dungeons of Dredmore ). It handles just about every aspect of creating a 2D game, graphics, sound, loading files, networking… you name it. It is very much a C based library. You can use it from C++ without effort, just don’t expect any object oriented features.

Allegro

This is the library ( and Fastgraf ) I started out using many many many years ago. It was originally written for the Atari ST and I am simply floored that it is still around and in active development. That said, it was good then and it is good now. Interesting trivia point, the guy behind Allegro way back in the early 90s, went on to become one of the main programmers behind XNA. Anyways, this much like SDL, covers just about everything you would need for 2D game programming. Also like SDL, it’s very much a C library.

SFML - Simple and Fast Media Library

The new kid on the block, and frankly, I have zero personal experience with this library. Like the other two, it handles just about everything you would need to implement a 2D game. Unlike the others, this is an object oriented library ( C++ ). A quick look at the classes and it looks like a very modern and clean design. On that level alone, I would probably go this route if I was starting out today. It is event driven, which is a very handy thing ( and something Allegro is moving towards ), which should make your game structure easier to implement.

When has SDL been released initially? When did Allegro land on Windows?

Just about the SAME year, or whenabouts...still anytime I stumble upon someone that compares somewhat ....it is always Allegro that comes out "older".

Now, I think it's clear that the logo itself is no priority at all, ALL the rest you have mentioned is clearly more important (and already aknowledged by the thread).

But to me you seem to be bashing the thing for the sake of it, honest.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

{"name":"608522","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/e\/9ed2cb5e4f2edf6630d721034dff896b.png","w":340,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/e\/9ed2cb5e4f2edf6630d721034dff896b"}608522

edit:
The alpha transparency seems to be messed up here in chrome. >:(

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

None of these logos are any good - for the love of Christ don't change anything until we get someone for real to show how logos are done.

Not agree. But in any case never say no and just disappear, at least post an idea of an already made logo to see how you think it should be.

Some of these are interesting sketches that might make for the beginnings of some animated intro to a game of a similar graphical style, but as logos... not even close.

I bet you would have say the same for Google, Ubisoft, Microsoft, etc, etc... Or maybe you're the kind of person that need to see something first to 'learn' how to do it.

Why don't you post something? Doesn't need to be yours, just something you consider a logo.

Quote:

Unoriginal and uninspiring as it may be, at least it's not downright embarrassing because obviously no effort was taken and nobody thinks it's awesome.

This is what people with no creativity at all use to think. If you have no such creativity it's fine, but don't try to judge others works because you simply can't, you don't have that power since you're not a creative person. It's like a jury of mathematicians were judging a group of graphical artists.

fea37560ab6d35149fa74b6c87a0bdbd.png

That's a good one too. It's simple yes, but damn it's much better than the current one.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

rendered in OpenGL using Allegro 5 Primitives:
{"name":"608523","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d42e15c81fc7bdb0bfc90200d7cee418.png","w":616,"h":392,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d42e15c81fc7bdb0bfc90200d7cee418"}608523

code:

#SelectExpand
1// render unofficial allegro logo (using a5 primitives) 2// cx = center x ordinate 3// cy = center y ordinate 4// lwidth = logo width 5// a5lbgcol = a5 logo background color 6// a5lacol = a5 logo A color 7// a5l5col = a5 logo 5 color 8void renderUnofficialA5Logo(float cx, float cy, float lwidth, ALLEGRO_COLOR a5lbgcol, ALLEGRO_COLOR a5lacol, ALLEGRO_COLOR a5l5col) 9{ 10 float lunit = lwidth / 17.0f; 11 float tlx = cx - lwidth / 2.0f; 12 float tly = cy - lunit * 6.0f; 13 // background without corners 14 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit, tly, tlx + lwidth - lunit, tly + lunit * 12.0f, a5lbgcol); // top to bottom 15 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx, tly + lunit, tlx + lwidth, tly + lunit * 11.0f, a5lbgcol); // left to right 16 17 // background rounded corners 18 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit, tly + lunit, lunit, lunit, a5lbgcol); // tl 19 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 16.0f, tly + lunit, lunit, lunit, a5lbgcol); // tr 20 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 16.0f, tly + lunit * 11.0f, lunit, lunit, a5lbgcol); // br 21 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit, tly + lunit * 11.0f, lunit, lunit, a5lbgcol); // bl 22 23 // A 24 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 3.0f, tly + lunit * 2.0f, tlx + lunit * 7.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, a5lacol); // - top of A 25 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 3.0f, tly + lunit * 6.0f, tlx + lunit * 7.0f, tly + lunit * 7.0f, a5lacol); // - middle of A 26 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 2.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, tlx + lunit * 4.0f, tly + lunit * 10.0f, a5lacol); // | left of A 27 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 6.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, tlx + lunit * 8.0f, tly + lunit * 10.0f, a5lacol); // | right of A 28 29 // A rounded top 30 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 3.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, lunit, lunit, a5lacol); // tl 31 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 7.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, lunit, lunit, a5lacol); // tr 32 33 // 5 34 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 9.0f, tly + lunit * 2.0f, tlx + lunit * 15.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, a5l5col); // - top of 5 35 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 9.0f, tly + lunit * 5.0f, tlx + lunit * 14.0f, tly + lunit * 6.0f, a5l5col); // - middle of 5 36 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 9.0f, tly + lunit * 9.0f, tlx + lunit * 14.0f, tly + lunit * 10.0f, a5l5col); // - bottom of 5 37 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 9.0f, tly + lunit * 2.0f, tlx + lunit * 11.0f, tly + lunit * 6.0f, a5l5col); // | left of 5 38 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 13.0f, tly + lunit * 6.0f, tlx + lunit * 15.0f, tly + lunit * 9.0f, a5l5col); // | right of 5 39 40 // 5 rounded right 41 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 14.0f, tly + lunit * 6.0f, lunit, lunit, a5l5col); // t 42 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 14.0f, tly + lunit * 9.0f, lunit, lunit, a5l5col); // b 43} 44 45 46// calls used in example output 47 renderUnofficialA5Logo(160.0f, 120.0f, 80.0f, al_map_rgba(255,255,255,255), al_map_rgba(0,0,0,255), al_map_rgba(192,64,64,255)); 48 renderUnofficialA5Logo(480.0f, 120.0f, 80.0f, al_map_rgba(255,255,255,255), al_map_rgba(0,0,0,255), al_map_rgba(249,155,33,255)); 49 renderUnofficialA5Logo(200.0f, 340.0f, 320.0f, al_map_rgba(255,255,255,255), al_map_rgba(0,0,0,255), al_map_rgba(128,128,128,255)); 50 renderUnofficialA5Logo(500.0f, 240.0f, 160.0f, al_map_rgba(255,255,255,255), al_map_rgba(0,0,0,255), al_map_rgba(83,111,199,255));

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

This is what people with no creativity at all use to think. If you have no such creativity it's fine, but don't try to judge others works because you simply can't, you don't have that power since you're not a creative person. It's like a jury of mathematicians were judging a group of graphical artists.

That's a load of bullshit. That's like saying if you're not a chef you can't tell if theres something wrong with food. Most art critics can't create art themselves but are perfectly qualified to judge the artwork of others.

Anyone who makes a statement such as you did is most likely a bad artist who can't take criticism from others and so therefore deems that person incapable of judging them.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

LennyLen said:

That's like saying if you're not a chef you can't tell if theres something wrong with food

I think it's not the same.

Quote:

Anyone who makes a statement such as you did is most likely a bad artist who can't take criticism from others and so therefore deems that person incapable of judging them.

If you're eating shit, and I give you food and you tell me that it sucks then yhea you're pretty much incapable of judge.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

@Matthew, Mark Oates:
I'm not convinced. This sounds as if you're just trying to disguise your subjective opinion as facts. Please provide 3-4 logos (anything will do) for reference, so we can see "how it is done". I really mean it.

There's nothing wrong with a basic font logo

Right. I've never meant to create THE logo, just an improved version of the font-logo which doesn't look like someone used a cheap generator in the 1990s.

Quote:

as is currently used

Wrong. ;D
It's really not good. It says "1990s DOS blitting library". :-/

The website should have changed with the 5.0 release to signal it's something new. That's what we're trying to accomplish here.

pkrcel said:

Now, I think it's clear that the logo itself is no priority at all, ALL the rest you have mentioned is clearly more important (and already aknowledged by the thread).

Agree.

interesting sketches

Well, it looks sketchy, because some people said they liked it sketchy. :o

There's also still this font-logo, which I think is still better than the current one. With or without Pacman.
{"name":"608530","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/6\/b62b4342ba951c69db90f40c6bb7e7a9.png","w":374,"h":164,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/6\/b62b4342ba951c69db90f40c6bb7e7a9"}608530

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I think it's not the same.

What you think is irrelevant, unless you can can give a good explanation as to why you think that.

But here's why it is the same... I'm not a chef, yet I can tell when the chef who prepared my food put too much salt in it, or overcooked the meat. I have senses, and am capable of using them.

Likewise, even though I cannot paint to save myself, I can look at something a student painted and see that the proportions are wrong, or that there are conflicting shadows. Again, I have senses and know how to use them. You don't need to be able to create something to tell when someone else has done a bad job at attempting to do so themself.

Quote:

If you're eating shit, and I give you food and you tell me that it sucks then yhea you're pretty much incapable of judge.

That makes absolutely no sense, and only serves to confirm what I surmised.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

LennyLen said:

I'm not a chef, yet I can tell when the chef who prepared my food put too much salt in it, or overcooked the meat. I have senses, and am capable of using them.

Hahaha man... That's exactly why it is not the same. Everybody can do that, it's like "Man I can't breath, there is something wrong with the oxygen here!" or "man it's too hot I'm burning" those are human sense everybody can distinguish, but even though I would like to take you to some of the most distinguish restaurants and make you test the food, you'll probably find some food dishes that you don't like but does that mean that all the people need to agree with you or it's just you to used to eat McDonald's?

Not because to you it has too much salt, or its texture is weird or whatever it means that it's not good food.

Quote:

Likewise, even though I cannot paint to save myself, I can look at something a student painted and see that the proportions are wrong, or that there are conflicting shadows.

Oh, so you can distinguish when a student has failed, how convenient. I bet that if I put here two paintings one made by an student and another with a value of millions dollars and you won't be able to know which one is which.

Quote:

Again, I have senses and know how to use them.

Art is not only ruled by senses. Art changes and what is beautiful today tomorrow may not, but still being art. If you don't have also the knowledge tomorrow you could say that the Mona Lisa sucks and remain as a fool.

If we're talking about marketing, and modern logos and we say that this:

logo.png

It's better than this:

{"name":"b62b4342ba951c69db90f40c6bb7e7a9.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/6\/b62b4342ba951c69db90f40c6bb7e7a9.png","w":374,"h":164,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/6\/b62b4342ba951c69db90f40c6bb7e7a9"}b62b4342ba951c69db90f40c6bb7e7a9.png

Or this:

fea37560ab6d35149fa74b6c87a0bdbd.png

Then we know no shit about graphic designs and logos.

Now, if you just want to troll go ahead and continuing talking about chefs and food.

That's is why I said this is going to nowhere, for the new people around here this is what always happens. It's like "We know that we current logo sucks, but it's that, or the logo of the year, we won't conform with a community made logo. We need Leonardo Da Vinci."

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Come on, arguing about art or food and being polemic won't lead us anywhere.

A quick patch for dramatically improving the look of the official website would be to just remove the yellow background of the sidebar[1]. Maybe we can at least agree on that?

References

1. Plus search fields and hovering of menu items.
Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

LennyLen said:

Likewise, even though I cannot paint to save myself, I can look at something a student painted and see that the proportions are wrong, or that there are conflicting shadows. Again, I have senses and know how to use them. You don't need to be able to create something to tell when someone else has done a bad job at attempting to do so themself.

Quoted for truth. Andrew Loomis (who was a very successful artist several decades ago and one among few who really knew their craft) explains exactly that in great detail across several pages in one of his books (from the top of my head, I think it is in "Successful Drawing").

I think I'll continue to play WoW. :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Polybios said:

A quick patch for dramatically improving the look of the official website would be to just remove the yellow background of the sidebar[1]. Maybe we can at least agree on that?

Please send in some patches :) there's a git repo for the website.

Anything that helps make the site look better is a win.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I know the logos are bad because if I tried to make one that is what it would end up looking like. :P

And we aren't speaking of million dollar art for the rich. No I cannot tell the difference between a painting by a monkey or a modern abstract artist. There is none. It's just a made up world with made up rules for people with too much money.

Logos are for the common person. And I can tell the difference between amateur hour and professionalism because one looks bad and the other looks good.

The pacman logo is marginally better than the current one, but it's nothing to write home about. The A5 one looks like an icon.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Again, show us your concept of good logos, talk is easy. At least that way we can learn from the biggest brains of the smaller community.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Dennis said:

code:

#SelectExpand
1// render unofficial allegro logo (using a5 primitives) 2// cx = center x ordinate 3// cy = center y ordinate 4// lwidth = logo width 5// a5lbgcol = a5 logo background color 6// a5lacol = a5 logo A color 7// a5l5col = a5 logo 5 color 8void renderUnofficialA5Logo(float cx, float cy, float lwidth, ALLEGRO_COLOR a5lbgcol, ALLEGRO_COLOR a5lacol, ALLEGRO_COLOR a5l5col) 9{ 10 float lunit = lwidth / 17.0f; 11 float tlx = cx - lwidth / 2.0f; 12 float tly = cy - lunit * 6.0f; 13 // background without corners 14 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit, tly, tlx + lwidth - lunit, tly + lunit * 12.0f, a5lbgcol); // top to bottom 15 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx, tly + lunit, tlx + lwidth, tly + lunit * 11.0f, a5lbgcol); // left to right 16 17 // background rounded corners 18 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit, tly + lunit, lunit, lunit, a5lbgcol); // tl 19 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 16.0f, tly + lunit, lunit, lunit, a5lbgcol); // tr 20 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 16.0f, tly + lunit * 11.0f, lunit, lunit, a5lbgcol); // br 21 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit, tly + lunit * 11.0f, lunit, lunit, a5lbgcol); // bl 22 23 // A 24 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 3.0f, tly + lunit * 2.0f, tlx + lunit * 7.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, a5lacol); // - top of A 25 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 3.0f, tly + lunit * 6.0f, tlx + lunit * 7.0f, tly + lunit * 7.0f, a5lacol); // - middle of A 26 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 2.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, tlx + lunit * 4.0f, tly + lunit * 10.0f, a5lacol); // | left of A 27 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 6.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, tlx + lunit * 8.0f, tly + lunit * 10.0f, a5lacol); // | right of A 28 29 // A rounded top 30 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 3.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, lunit, lunit, a5lacol); // tl 31 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 7.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, lunit, lunit, a5lacol); // tr 32 33 // 5 34 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 9.0f, tly + lunit * 2.0f, tlx + lunit * 15.0f, tly + lunit * 3.0f, a5l5col); // - top of 5 35 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 9.0f, tly + lunit * 5.0f, tlx + lunit * 14.0f, tly + lunit * 6.0f, a5l5col); // - middle of 5 36 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 9.0f, tly + lunit * 9.0f, tlx + lunit * 14.0f, tly + lunit * 10.0f, a5l5col); // - bottom of 5 37 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 9.0f, tly + lunit * 2.0f, tlx + lunit * 11.0f, tly + lunit * 6.0f, a5l5col); // | left of 5 38 al_draw_filled_rectangle(tlx + lunit * 13.0f, tly + lunit * 6.0f, tlx + lunit * 15.0f, tly + lunit * 9.0f, a5l5col); // | right of 5 39 40 // 5 rounded right 41 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 14.0f, tly + lunit * 6.0f, lunit, lunit, a5l5col); // t 42 al_draw_filled_ellipse(tlx + lunit * 14.0f, tly + lunit * 9.0f, lunit, lunit, a5l5col); // b 43} 44 45 46// calls used in example output 47 renderUnofficialA5Logo(160.0f, 120.0f, 80.0f, al_map_rgba(255,255,255,255), al_map_rgba(0,0,0,255), al_map_rgba(192,64,64,255)); 48 renderUnofficialA5Logo(480.0f, 120.0f, 80.0f, al_map_rgba(255,255,255,255), al_map_rgba(0,0,0,255), al_map_rgba(249,155,33,255)); 49 renderUnofficialA5Logo(200.0f, 340.0f, 320.0f, al_map_rgba(255,255,255,255), al_map_rgba(0,0,0,255), al_map_rgba(128,128,128,255)); 50 renderUnofficialA5Logo(500.0f, 240.0f, 160.0f, al_map_rgba(255,255,255,255), al_map_rgba(0,0,0,255), al_map_rgba(83,111,199,255));

I like it!
Mind if I steal this code and theoretically use it in my games?[1]

As for the logos on display, I like the allegro5 being sketched, except the red 5 looks bad.

References

1. Theoretically as in actually using it in my games, but probably never finishing any :)
Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Mind if I steal this code and theoretically use it in my games?

Fine with me.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

No I cannot tell the difference between a painting by a monkey or a modern abstract artist. There is none. It's just a made up world with made up rules for people with too much money.

Untrue, but I agree SO wholeheartily.... :-*

Anyway

Quote:

Logos are for the common person

SO true! I took the liberty to scrounge up a number of logos from multimillion companies....

xlogo_bg.gif

altera-logo-v3.png

autodesk_header_logo_140x23.png

{"name":"kinder-logo.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/eb9ff5552fbfbd9c382490393c22e34a.png","w":391,"h":119,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/eb9ff5552fbfbd9c382490393c22e34a"}kinder-logo.png

{"name":"auchan-logo.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6ab3c61e6a8d95803e028b7913d9f2c7.jpg","w":620,"h":330,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6ab3c61e6a8d95803e028b7913d9f2c7"}auchan-logo.jpg

tN_0_711Logo.jpg

{"name":"images","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/b\/fb1830247bb976d834e8617f573962db.jpg","w":340,"h":114,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/b\/fb1830247bb976d834e8617f573962db"}images

topbar_logo.gif

....to ME, NONE of the aforementioned works strikes as amateur, for instance.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Man I never liked that Auchan logo. That super-market was in Italy and here in Spain they're called Alcampo.

{"name":"logo_alcampo.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b36948dfb19909644f2425e6cda07bdb.jpg","w":2921,"h":671,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b36948dfb19909644f2425e6cda07bdb"}logo_alcampo.jpg

pkrcel said:

....to ME, NONE of the aforementioned works strikes as amateur, for instance.

Well, for this community those logos would be garbage.

Hey Matthew, here is a multimillionaire sketch logo.

{"name":"Gamestop.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/9\/e98467b0b6cb7613a48e42db56ac8215.jpg","w":1600,"h":472,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/9\/e98467b0b6cb7613a48e42db56ac8215"}Gamestop.jpg

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Man I never liked that Auchan logo. That super-market was in Italy and here in Spain they're called Alcampo.

I came to know when I saw the one in the Avenida Diagonal, but I just wanted to point out two things:

- I do not necessarilty think the logos I posted are good, I actually loathe a couple them....but they sure as hell are not AMATEUR work.

- Auchan is a FRENCH mall chain ;D ,not Italian.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Here's a multi-billion company:

logotipo.png

(Just remembered it because we saw those signs all over Spain when we were there on vacation - and I always thought back then "who would use a cheap looking logo like that" :P)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Hahahaha yhea, this is two steps from my apartment.

{"name":"nuevo_ecingles.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/2\/121210a9a6292c0cee47b1a061daa469.jpg","w":700,"h":424,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/2\/121210a9a6292c0cee47b1a061daa469"}nuevo_ecingles.jpg

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

@matthew I don't want to fan the fires but I think it's good to remember that the worst enemy of good is not bad, but perfect.

A new logo isn't that important, but the old one really looks worn-out. And of course its' a topic everyone loves to bike shed about. And that's also what this blocks other work. So I'd like the new logo to be chosen as soon as possible so we can move on to the more important work.

Now we probably can't make a "perfect" new logo, but I do think we can come up with one that is somewhat better than the old one, and that better to suggests that Allegro 5 is "all new". And that's all that is needed really, for now, since we can always improve the logo even more if need be.

If you like, please make a few suggestions on what you'd like in a somewhat better logo. It would help sort out this discussion more rapidly so we proceed with the more urgent matters.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

A new logo is irrelevant. What is relevant is to make a stable and useful cross-platform library. It does not even have to compete with other libraries for attention.

Not having a new logo does not stall development of the library in any way. If anyone wants to contribute code they can just grab the current version from git and start writing patches.

A nice looking logo would be nice, yes, but not having one does not "block" anything.

Go to: