Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » [Rant] Linux C++ IDE's suck

Credits go to Aikei_c, bamccaig, Chris Katko, Jonatan Hedborg, l j, Slartibartfast, and Thomas Fjellstrom for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
[Rant] Linux C++ IDE's suck
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

On Linux, I use:

• Sublime Text 3

• MonoDevelop

Both are very nice, but I don't use either with C++ because I don't code in that dreadful language. >:(

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

C++ because I don't code in that dreadful language.

Or with Allegro, right?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

OICW said:

the last thing I want to do is to complicate the matters by learning new stuff that seems unintuitive at first glance. Though I understand the reasoning behind it.

At the time, I was finishing up my PhD and wanted something that would let me program (mainly Fortran, Perl) and write text (LaTeX) and would give me the same experience on a Mac as it would on Linux.

Still quite glad I made the switch.

so I'll just say, use what you want, just don't tell me a fake text-mode editor is automatically going to give everyone better code.

Of course not, but neither the reverse.
An editor (whether you call it an editor or an IDE) is just a tool. You use the one that suits you the most for a particular task.

I should have said console based vs graphically based. I just can't use something that doesn't even use the pointer. :/

There's barely any difference between vim and gvim, other than being able to click in a gvim window and have the cursor move there.

In other words, I don't really see the difference you're making. :P

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Evert said:

At the time, I was finishing up my PhD and wanted something that would let me program (mainly Fortran, Perl) and write text (LaTeX) and would give me the same experience on a Mac as it would on Linux.

Yep, that's a very good reason for learning and using it. Few years back[1] I've decided that I want to get into Linux and I have installed it as my primary OS. Few weeks ago I have wiped my Windows dual boot partition from a laptop clean. So, yes, I know what the immersion with the software can do.

Unfortunatelly, three things are keeping me from vim. For one it's a terminal program (nope, I don't like gvim, though there's hardly any difference between the two). Second, it isn't able to manage my projects, I'd rather offload this mundane task to the IDE. Same for debugging purposes, gdb's interface is too lowlevel for my tastes. The last thing that really bugs me is the bazillion of keyboard shortcuts that aren't always intuitive and easy to remember (sure by practice you get to know lots of them)[2].

References

1. I actually cannot recall when exactly I've made the switch to Linux, must have been around 2008 or something
  2. Actually this is the other reason I haven't switched to a tiling window manager. I want something useful and friendly. The other reason, I've already mentioned, is that you have to configure it a lot in order to get a look like on screenshots.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I like to use a terminal box, Bash history makes it super easy to use, hardly ever type anything out in full, kwrite to do the text editing, and the ddd windowed debugger. I can open up another terminal for info or manpages. They're all desktop windows in their own right, and not tied to one big window. If I get too many at once to manage easily, I can just drag them off the edge of the screen to the next workspace and continue.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Use QT Creator, even if you are not developing QT. It has really good code completion. You can load projects directly from a CMake file, it supports the major compilers (MSVC, GCC, clang), it is fast, it runs stable.

Or you could use Vim with NERDTree, and some syntax completion, there are various options. Vim is the best choice if you are willing to invest some time and write your own scripts and macros. Even if I'm using Visual Studio, I resort to Vim sometimes. I think it's a joke that the standard search, or search/replace box in most IDEs does not allow regular expressions.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Visual Studio has supported regex search/replace for a long time.

Aikei_c
Member #14,871
January 2013

What torhu said. Been using regex for search and replacements almost since I started using visual studio.

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

torhu said:

Visual Studio has supported regex search/replace for a long time.

Nice, didn't know that. A little embarrassing actually, but it's never too late to start using it. :)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Sed does global/replace fine.

{"name":"204788.strip.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/0\/00974c38e425b41315b9d61fc6784eaf.gif","w":640,"h":199,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/0\/00974c38e425b41315b9d61fc6784eaf"}204788.strip.gif

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Use QT Creator, even if you are not developing QT. It has really good code completion. You can load projects directly from a CMake file, it supports the major compilers (MSVC, GCC, clang), it is fast, it runs stable.

Actually that's exactly what I've ended up with :) I've swallowed the bitterness of it[1] and in the end I was quite surprised by it.

References

1. Mind you, I tend to hate everything Qt related with passion.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

1   2 

Go to: