Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Is SIlverlight an STD?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Is SIlverlight an STD?
weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Some important website cloud-service requires Silverlight. It's my PC, though, and I'm the family-admin[1].
I'm not in a good mood at the moment, and searching whether Silverlight meets my criteria, or finding the actual Linux alternative are PITA.
So my questions are: is it as unsafe as Java or Flash? And: Is it as intrusive as Adobe products / Steam? Considering to just install the crap. (I already made my mom complain about the lack of Linux support; I'm a big boy.)
Or if someone could enlighten me about Moonlight (the Linux alternative), that'd be great. My Debian is still Wheezy, and I need to look into upgrading. (When backports backfire.)

References

1. I'm certain there was a comparable derogatory term that fits me exactly
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Silverlight is dead in the water. MS has dropped it.

you could try moonlight if you want, I've not attempted it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

I ;D'd. Quite hardfully. Adobe has a similar product that I only hope has been shitcanned as well.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

furinkan said:

Adobe has a similar product that I only hope has been shitcanned as well.

It is. If you mean flash. It's been dead for over a year now. Adobe's moved their dev tools to html5 now. Or if you mean Air, then same diff. It never really even left the ground before it was grounded.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I wouldn't call Flash dead by any means. Sure, HTML5 is a serious competitor, but dead? No.

EDIT: More like dying in a very slow way. :-/

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Vanneto said:

EDIT: More like dying in a very slow way. :-/

Flash is no longer under development. At most it gets bug fixes. It is not supported on a majority of user's internet devices (aka: most mobile devices these days), and there are also no longer any updates for the nsapi plugin (no new flash for firefox, even bug fixes).

--

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Air! That's what it was. I was afraid Adobe had yet to learn their lesson.

As for flash I'm getting into HTML5 media development a little. Hopefully Flash gets a nice bullet to the skull here in a few more years, and then I'll have one more thing to tell my kids about.

Quote:

Back when I was a cadet programmer during the Second Browser war... *children sigh loudly*
We were pinned down! IE 6,7, and 8 were firing anti-progress mortars all around us! Opera fell asleep, so we had to carry her. The evil Flash Player was huddled in a bunker; not firing anymore... but it just wouldn't die. My team was assigned to finish the job and win the battle! All we had to do, was sneak into the enemy bunker and put Ole Flash down...
*rambles*
And that's how you were made!

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Silverlight is dead in the water. MS has dropped it.

I bet that pissed off all three developers ;D
Typical M$ though.

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

Flash is no longer under development.

That probably explains why it's been several weeks since Flash bothered me about installing an update...

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

furinkan said:

Quote: said:

Back when I was a cadet programmer during the Second Browser war... children sigh loudly
We were pinned down! IE 6,7, and 8 were firing anti-progress mortars all around us! Opera fell asleep, so we had to carry her. The evil Flash Player was huddled in a bunker; not firing anymore... but it just wouldn't die. My team was assigned to finish the job and win the battle! All we had to do, was sneak into the enemy bunker and put Ole Flash down...
rambles
And that's how you were made!

You, sir, are a poetic genius. Or I'm drunk. Or both! I really enjoyed that.

Append: Wait, were you quoting somebody else? >:( If so you lose all points for not attributing it.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

@bams: I'm sure that A) you're just drunkish, and B) I'm not the first to write an allegory of the browser wars as an actual war.

EDIT: I recall doing an impromptu version of this during an office meeting, but I'm not sure if it's from anywhere.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Thanks for affirming my hate of this Silverlight. It turns out it isn't vital after all to install it, so I won't.
I was very peeved Adobe AIR Runtime didn't include Flash for my tablet. I thought Flash was one of the perks of Android devices. Also it was advertised AIR would include the functionality of Flash. Yes, I dislike Flash too...
I think HTML 5 is going to be a disaster. Not because the design and implementation will be flawed, but every website will turn into a Microsoft Outlook, and every ad a multimedia experience.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I don't even know what ads are any more. I miss the good ol' days. :-/

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

weapon_S said:

I thought Flash was one of the perks of Android devices.

It was, till Adobe canceled mobile flash support.

Quote:

Also it was advertised AIR would include the functionality of Flash.

Sure, Air can do everything Flash can, and probably does it better. That doesn't mean its compatible ;)

--

Go to: