Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Monster RPG 2 for OUYA

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Monster RPG 2 for OUYA
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I like them in the order PS3 > OUYA > Xbox 360. Anyway, I left it charging overnight so hopefully that fixes it.

I like Super Crate Box and Canabalt. Retro Racing is fun, I bought it. I haven't played a ton of them though. Towerfall was fun but I deleted it when I noticed it does online checks before you can play >:(. Haven't not tried Get on Top.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

First and foremost congratulations for getting your game out and porting it to another platform. I've got a question, what's the fuss about OUYA? I've heard pretty mixed reactions and I have read pretty mixed reviews of the system as a whole. The bottom line was something along: "OUYA - oh no".

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think its mostly just polarizing. Either you hate it, or you love it.

The hardware could be better. The next version will likely be a lot better.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

kazzmir said:

Have you tried 'get on top' yet? I can't tell if I'm completely missing something or that game is a boat load of fail.

I tried it by myself and it looked really stupid.

OICW said:

I've got a question, what's the fuss about OUYA?

Android games on a TV. It is what it is. The haters just gonna hate.

Things will get interesting when some big players get involved in this market. Nintendo will need to watch its back.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Things will get interesting when some big players get involved in this market. Nintendo will need to watch its back.

Well, yeah, but when that will be? From what I've heard it is mostly for 2D games. In one review they've named some 3D title that wasn't running exactly smooth. Nevertheless, with the "success" of WiiU Nintedo should watch their back.

Quote:

Android games on a TV. It is what it is. The haters just gonna hate.

Amongst the most criticized points were things like the initial bragging of the authors and their exaltic statements about this being a killer of the traditional consoles etc. while this is certainly not the case; the build quality of the gamepad; and the lack of available games.

The author of the review I've read has compared it to a time many years ago when he got hands on some cheap SNES copy from China with 1000+1 games cartridge. He was like Forest Gump never knowing what he will taste.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

OICW said:

Well, yeah, but when that will be? From what I've heard it is mostly for 2D games. In one review they've named some 3D title that wasn't running exactly smooth.

Considering the current ouya was designed over a year ago, its not entirely surprising that it doesn't have the performance for some more modern games.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

It's an Android device, if it was designed today it wouldn't be up to snuff with any PC or Sony/Nintendo/MS console. And it doesn't need to be. It's more powerful than a PS2, and look at all the great games that and all the less powerful systems had. If you just want a piece of hardware, go spend a bunch more money on a PS3/4. If you want to have fun, I highly recommend the OUYA.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

It's an Android device, if it was designed today it wouldn't be up to snuff with any PC or Sony/Nintendo/MS console. And it doesn't need to be.

Of course it doesn't need to be, yet it in the beginning there were claims that this is a competition for the current and next generation of consoles. It isn't, and it won't be. Though, as you say, there's a potential in it.

Considering the current ouya was designed over a year ago, its not entirely surprising that it doesn't have the performance for some more modern games.

Well, there's NVIDIA Tegra 3 in it and that's not exactly just a pencil sharpener. It serves well for tablets. I think that the expectations and initial claims were just unrealistic.

Nonetheless, there's a potential for this console. However, it needs more games. OUYA is actually the first console I have even considered to buy. It's cheap and could be used for experimentation. Though I'm not sure how easy or complicate will it be to get it. On the other hand, right now it's just a gadget for me just as the first EEE PC from Asus was few years ago.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

OICW said:

Of course it doesn't need to be, yet it in the beginning there were claims that this is a competition for the current and next generation of consoles. It isn't, and it won't be. Though, as you say, there's a potential in it.

I followed the Kickstarter from day 1 and they never claimed it would compete performance-wise with the "big" consoles. If the article said that then I have to say that's just wrong.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

The article refered to twitter accounts of the authors or something. Frankly, I don't care what they said or didn't. For me, right now, it's just a gadget I might buy if I'll have enough money. I was just interested in the fuss about it and the very polarised views on the thing.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Right now the Ouya is mostly about retro gaming and "party" games.

Anybody who thinks the Ouya is there to compete with the PS3 and its big budget games is just ignorant. Its 8GB of storage isn't even enough to hold the content of such a game. :P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

OICW said:

Well, there's NVIDIA Tegra 3 in it and that's not exactly just a pencil sharpener.

The Tegra was actually kind of lack luster at the time, most of the other high end SoCs at the time spanked it (for instance, devices with a dual core SoC would perform better than the tegra which has 4+). And now, the current high end ones more than spank it.

My Tablet has a Tegra 3. It does ok, but it's nothing compared to the new snapdragons and exynos SoCs.

--

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I would have ordered a Ouya, but wife officially said "hell no" to paying $100 to get it.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Man, you listen to your wife? That's... well ok, that's actually smart. :D

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

By all means, don't listen to your wife. After that, go find somewhere else to get sex, dinner, and a clean house. :P

And sorry, I don't have an OUYA, nor do I have $100 spare bucks lying around. Otherwise I would probably help you out.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

After that, go find somewhere else to get sex, dinner, and a clean house. :P

I don't think he gets any of that from his wife ;)

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I'm not amused.

You are making fun of me at the expense of my disabled wife. Now I remember why I chose to have no friends. I don't give a fuck what you think of me, but you have no fucking right to make jokes about my wife. To think I actually considered you a friend Thomas, you can go to hell for all I care now.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

FWIW, I remember you saying you had a disabled son, but not a disabled wife.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Besides, those were bland and smart jokes about you Specter, not your wife.

I'd say take it a bit easier SP, I think most people here understand you have you difficulties in life and that was meant as a cheer up, not the other way round.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I apologize. I had completely forgotten that your wife was disabled. My intention was to solely poke fun at you.

--

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I ported another of my games, Bobby, to OUYA this weekend. Don't know when it'll be live on the store but they usually review in 1 day from my experience so far, so maybe tomorrow.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

1   2 

Go to: