Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » ALLEGRO_HAPTIC or force feedback for Allegro

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
ALLEGRO_HAPTIC or force feedback for Allegro
beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Since I found out that both Linux and my cheap USB joystick support force feedback, I'm interested in developing support for force feedback, or for haptic devices for short, also in Allegro. Now, on the PC platform, and certainly on Linux, almost no game uses haptic effects since no one knows how to program them. So support for haptic devices in Allegro would be nice. Also, SDL2 will also support haptic effects, so that's another reason I don't want Allegro to fall behind.

Anyway, I started work on this, but Thomas suggested that I first post the API I suggest here, so we can discuss and improve it. So please read this proposal for allegro5/haptic.h and tell me what you like, dislike and find unclear about it. Without more ado, here is the content of the file (also attached for use at your leasure).

#SelectExpand
1/* ______ ___ ___ 2 * /\ _ \ /_ \ /_ \ 3 * \ \ \L\ \//\ \ //\ \ __ __ _ __ ___ 4 * \ \ __ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ /'__`\ /'_ `/`'__/ __`\ 5 * \ \ /\ \ _\ _ _\ _/\ __//\ \L\ \ \ //\ \L\ \ 6 * \ _\ _/____/____\ ____\ ____ \ _\\ ____/ 7 * /_//_//____//____//____//___L\ /_/ /___/ 8 * /____/ 9 * _/__/ 10 * 11 * Haptic (that is, force feedback) routines for Allegro. 12 * By Beoran (beoran@gmail.com), 2013. 13 * 14 * See readme.txt for copyright information. 15 */ 16 17#ifndef __al_included_allegro5_haptic_h 18#define __al_included_allegro5_haptic_h 19 20#include "allegro5/base.h" 21#include "allegro5/events.h" 22#include "allegro5/mouse.h" 23#include "allegro5/joystick.h" 24 25#ifdef __cplusplus 26 extern "C" { 27#endif 28 29/* Enum: ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_CONSTANTS 30 */ 31enum ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_CONSTANTS { 32 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_RUMBLE = 1 << 0, 33 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_PERIODIC = 1 << 1, 34 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_CONSTANT = 1 << 2, 35 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_SPRING = 1 << 3, 36 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_FRICTION = 1 << 4, 37 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_DAMPER = 1 << 5, 38 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_INERTIA = 1 << 6, 39 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_RAMP = 1 << 7, 40 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_SQUARE = 1 << 8, 41 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_TRIANGLE = 1 << 9, 42 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_SINE = 1 << 10, 43 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_SAW_UP = 1 << 11, 44 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_SAW_DOWN = 1 << 12, 45 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_CUSTOM = 1 << 13, 46 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_GAIN = 1 << 14, 47 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_ANGLE = 1 << 15, 48 ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_RADIUS = 1 << 16, 49 ALLEGRO_HAPRIC_AZIMUTH = 1 << 17, 50}; 51 52 53 54/* Type: ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 55 */ 56typedef struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC ALLEGRO_HAPTIC; 57 58/* Direction of a haptic effect. Angle is a value between 0 and 2*M_PI. 59 * An angle 0 means oriented towards the user, M_PI is away from the user 60 * (towards the screen). Angle is only supported if the device 61capabilities include 62 * ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_ANGLE. 63 * Radius (if supported ) is the distance of the effect from the user 64 * as a value between 0 and 1. Normally it is 0. Radius is only 65supported if the 66 * device capabilities include ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_RADIUS . 67 * Azimuth is the angle of elevation, between -M_PI and M_PI. 0 points to the 68 * horizontal plane, -M_PI points down, and M_PI points up. 69 * Azimuth is only supported if the device capabilities include 70 * ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_AZIMUTH. 71 * 72 */ 73struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_DIRECTION { 74 double angle; 75 double radius; 76 double azimuth; 77}; 78 79/* In all of the following structs, the doubles that express duration represent 80 * time in seconds. The double that represent levels of intensity are 81between 0.0 82 * and 1.0 that mean no effect and full 100% effect. */ 83 84/* Delay to start the replay and duration of the replay, expressed in 85seconds. */ 86struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_REPLAY { 87 double length; 88 double delay; 89}; 90 91/* Envelope of the effect. */ 92struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_ENVELOPE { 93 double attack_length; 94 double attack_level; 95 double fade_length; 96 double fade_level; 97}; 98 99/* Constant effect. Level is between 0.0 and 1.0. */ 100struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_CONSTANT_EFFECT { 101 double level; 102 struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_ENVELOPE envelope; 103}; 104 105/* Ramp effect. Both start_level and end level are between 0.0 and 1.0. */ 106struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_RAMP_EFFECT { 107 double start_level; 108 double end_level; 109 struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_ENVELOPE envelope; 110}; 111 112/* Condition effect. */ 113struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_CONDITION_EFFECT { 114 double right_saturation; 115 double left_saturation; 116 double right_coeff; 117 double left_coeff; 118 double deadband; 119 double center; 120}; 121 122/* Periodic (wave) effect. */ 123struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_PERIODIC_EFFECT { 124 int waveform; 125 double period; 126 double magnitude; 127 double offset; 128 double phase; 129 130 struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_ENVELOPE envelope; 131 int custom_len; 132 double *custom_data; 133}; 134 135/* Simple rumble effect with a magnitude between 0.0 and 1.0 for both 136 the strong and the weak rumble motors in the haptic device. */ 137struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_RUMBLE_EFFECT { 138 double strong_magnitude; 139 double weak_magnitude; 140}; 141 142union ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT_UNION { 143 struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_CONSTANT_EFFECT constant; 144 struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_RAMP_EFFECT ramp; 145 struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_PERIODIC_EFFECT periodic; 146 struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_CONDITION_EFFECT condition; 147 struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_RUMBLE_EFFECT rumble; 148}; 149 150/* Type: ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT. This neeeds to be filled in and uploaded to 151 * the haptic device before it can be played back. 152 */ 153struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT { 154 int type; 155 int id; 156 struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_DIRECTION direction; 157 struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_REPLAY replay; 158 union ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT_UNION data; 159}; 160 161 162/* Type: ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT 163 */ 164typedef struct ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT; 165 166 167 168/* Installs the haptic (force feedback) device subsystem. */ 169AL_FUNC(bool, al_install_haptic , (void)); 170/* Uninstalls the haptic device subsystem. */ 171AL_FUNC(void, al_uninstall_haptic , (void)); 172/* Returns true if the haptic device subsystem is installed, false if not. */ 173AL_FUNC(bool, al_is_haptic_installed , (void)); 174/* Checks if no new haptic devices became availabe and reconfigues the haptic 175 *subsystem. */ 176AL_FUNC(bool, al_reconfigure_haptic , (void)); 177 178/* Gets the amount of available haptic devices.*/ 179AL_FUNC(int, al_get_num_haptics , (void)); 180 181/* Opens and initializes the haptic device and returns a pointer 182 * to a device handle, or NULL on error. */ 183AL_FUNC(ALLEGRO_HAPTIC *, al_get_haptic , (int hapticn)); 184/* Closes the haptic device. */ 185AL_FUNC(void, al_release_haptic , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC *)); 186/* Returns true if the haptic device can currently be used, false if not.*/ 187AL_FUNC(bool, al_get_haptic_active , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC *)); 188/* Gets a string that describes the name of the haptic device.*/ 189AL_FUNC(const char*, al_get_haptic_name , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC *)); 190 191/* Returns an integer with or'ed values from ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_CONSTANTS, that if 192 set indicate that the haptic device supports the given feature. */ 193AL_FUNC(int, al_get_haptic_capabilities , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC *)); 194 195/* Sets the gain of the haptic device if supported. Gain is much like 196volume for sound, 197 it is as if every effect's intensity is multiplied by it. Gain is a 198value between 199 0.0 and 1.0. Returns true if set sucessfully, false if not.*/ 200AL_FUNC(bool, al_set_haptic_gain , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 201*, double gain)); 202/* Returns the current gain of the device. */ 203AL_FUNC(double, al_get_haptic_gain , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC *)); 204 205/* Returns true if the mouse has haptic capabilities, false if not.*/ 206AL_FUNC(bool, al_is_mouse_haptic , (ALLEGRO_MOUSE *)); 207 208/* Returns true if the joystick has haptic capabilities, false if not.*/ 209AL_FUNC(bool, al_is_joystick_haptic , (ALLEGRO_JOYSTICK *)); 210/* If the mouse has haptic capabilities, returns the associated haptic 211device handle. 212 * Otherwise returns NULL;*/ 213AL_FUNC(ALLEGRO_HAPTIC *, al_get_haptic_from_mouse , (ALLEGRO_MOUSE *)); 214/* If the mouse has haptic capabilities, returns the associated haptic 215device handle. 216 * Otherwise returns NULL;*/ 217AL_FUNC(ALLEGRO_HAPTIC *, al_get_haptic_from_joystick, (ALLEGRO_JOYSTICK *)); 218 219/* Returns the maximum amount of haptic effects that can be uploaded 220to the device. */ 221AL_FUNC(int, al_get_num_haptic_effects , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC *)); 222 223/* Returns true if the haptic device can play the haptic effect as 224given, false if not. */ 225AL_FUNC(bool, al_is_haptic_effect_ok , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 226*, ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT *)); 227 228/* Uploads the haptic effect to the device. In play_id, an integer is 229stored that is 230 a reference to be used to control playback of the effect.*/ 231AL_FUNC(bool, al_upload_haptic_effect , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 232*, ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT *, int * play_id)); 233 234/* Plays back a previously uploaded haptic effect on this device. */ 235AL_FUNC(bool, al_play_haptic_effect , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 236*, int play_id, int loop)); 237 238/* Stops playing a haptic effect on this device. */ 239AL_FUNC(bool, al_stop_haptic_effect , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 240*, int play_id)); 241/* Stops playing all haptic effects on this device. */ 242AL_FUNC(bool, al_stop_all_haptic_effects , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 243*, int play_id)); 244 245/* Returns true if the haptic effect is playing on the device false if 246not or if stopped. */ 247AL_FUNC(bool, al_is_haptic_effect_playing, (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 248*, int play_id)); 249 250/* Uploads a simple rumble effect to the haptic device and starts 251playback immediately. 252 */ 253AL_FUNC(bool, al_rumble_haptic , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 254*, double intensity, double duration, int * play_id)); 255 256/* Event source for haptic device events. 257 *(XXX: currently no events are planned to be emitted, but that may change. )*/ 258AL_FUNC(ALLEGRO_EVENT_SOURCE *, al_get_haptic_event_source, (void)); 259 260 261 262 263#ifdef __cplusplus 264} 265#endif 266 267#endif

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

One "danger" with these things is always that you write for one platform and then other platforms do things completely differently. You end up with a "biased" api. If you haven't already, I think you should look at Windows and Mac OS X and see how things are done there (even if you can't write drivers for those.) Then find a common set of functions and an API that is not targetted at a single platform.

NOTE: You may have already done this. I see a lot of very specific information here and that made me wonder if this wasn't just a thin wrapper over Linux apis.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Actually I'm guilty as charged there. :(

I don't have access to windows or mac OS-X, so to get some ideas of who to structure the API, I had to take a look at the SDL 2 sources (which are under the same license as Allegro, so no problem there). They too use a Linux-ish API as the smallest common denominator for most platforms . So I went for that with some nuances, such as using doubles to get device independent value for time , and relative values for intensity in there.

But I also know from SDL2 that it's possible to fit Windows and OS-X into this Linux-ish API, so I thought it would be OK. But if you have better ideas, then please do make suggestions.

I'll probably only be able to supply a Linux driver anyway, so I'd love to hear from people who want to implement te Windows or OS-X, or Iphone, or Android drivers for this and I'd like those people to tell me how we could modify this proposal so it will make it easy for them to write their drivers.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

beoran said:

But I also know from SDL2 that it's possible to fit Windows and OS-X into this Linux-ish API, so I thought it would be OK.

If that's the case then it's probably OK. BTW, you don't need a computer running Windows or OS X to look at the APIs. MSDN and http://developer.apple.com have documentation online.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Well yes, but I don' t use SDL exactly because I like the Allegro API better, so their API doesn't have to be the end-all be-all. If possible I'd like an API that is easier to use than SDL.

It's true, I should RTFM, but since I don't have a chance to test the other platforms, I doubt I would learn much more from RTFM than from the SDL code. I'd rather listen to the opinion of people who had hands on experience with those API's. Or people who are willing to gain this experience.

To be blunt, Trent, would you be willing to do the Windows or OSX port of this? You can get a USB joystick that supports rumble cheaply and easily enough, and then you can try to make it work using the Windows or OSX API. Like that you'll get valuable hands-on experience and we'll be able to decide how too proceed with ALLEGRO_HAPTICS much better.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I can do Windows and OS X, but I may not have a lot of time to invest in them. I'll do my best. I guess I'll have a look on MSDN first and see what's available.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Thanks a lot! I know you are busy with your game project, but I think for an action RPG, rumble effects certainly will be an extra selling point. Even if you can't write the whole driver, your explorations will hopefully shed some light on the right approach.

I'll share with you the whole patch of all other changes I made versus Allegro git so far while I was working on the Linux driver, if and when you need it, so feel free to request it whenever.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Branches are cheap in git right? Is there any reason we can't create a branch for developing this (to anyone who knows)?

beoran, these two pages hold most of the key information on force feedback with DirectInput:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/microsoft.directx_sdk.idirectinputdevice8.idirectinputdevice8.createeffect(v=vs.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/microsoft.directx_sdk.idirectinputeffect.idirectinputeffect.setparameters(v=vs.85).aspx

Maybe you can tell me what out of this is common between your header and this. We can then try and make something that works well with stuff in common from them. For things that are in one but not the other, we can optionally drop them or keep them with fallbacks to something close where not supported.

EDIT2: After reading over your API fully and comparing it to DirectInput, it's mostly the same. I think there are a few types of effect that are missing in DirectInput and I didn't see anything about replays (if there is no replay in DirectInput I think we could put the onus on the user to replay effects, I'm not sure about this though.)

One thing I think that should be done is to somehow merge this with the joystick (and mouse?) apis somewhat. Like perhaps we could have a function like ALLEGRO_JOYSTICK *al_get_haptic_joystick and maybe the reverse.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

OK, I'll set up my allegro branch at github for this, it might be tomorrow or Monday though before I get this done.

I quicly read the info linked too and it seems Directinput supports a few effects that Linux doesn't, and generally formats it's parameters differently, and is somewhat more convoluted. Especially when it comes to the position of the effect. Linux only supports an angle, (or 2 carthesian axes for a condition effect, IIRC), but DI supports much more. My idea was to only support spherical coordinates , and let the divers translate those as needed.

The Directinput API does allow on to upload, play and stop a sample, but it doesn't give you a "play id" like Linux does, you have to use the effect object, which means you can't reuse the object for different replays. This means that it may be easier to implement the API if we drop the play id and always use an ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT * to control playback and stopping:

#SelectExpand
1/* Uploads the haptic effect to the device. */ 2AL_FUNC(bool, al_upload_haptic_effect , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC*, ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT *)); 3 4/* Plays back a previously uploaded haptic effect on this device. 5If the effect want uploaded yet, this will automaticallly call al_upload_haptic_effect to try and upload the effect. 6*/ 7AL_FUNC(bool, al_play_haptic_effect , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC*, ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT * effect, int loop)); 8 9/* Stops playing all haptic effects on this device. */ 10AL_FUNC(bool, al_stop_all_haptic_effects , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 11*, ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT * effect)); 12 13/* Returns true if the haptic effect is playing on the device false if 14not or if stopped. */ 15AL_FUNC(bool, al_is_haptic_effect_playing, (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 16*, ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT * effect)); 17 18/* Fills in the haptic effect with a a simple rumble effect, uploads it to the haptic device and starts playback immediately. 19 */ 20AL_FUNC(bool, al_rumble_haptic , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC 21*, ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT * effect, double intensity, double duration, ); 22 23/* Copies a haptic effectin such a way that dest can be uploaded, played, and stoppped independently from src. */ 24AL_FUNC(bool, al_copy_haptic_effect(ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT * dest, ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT * src);

What you say? :)

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Looks ok. DirectInput doesn't have a "rumble" haptic, which one do you think is closest?

(probably just an oversight but does this need the effect parameter? AL_FUNC(bool, al_stop_all_haptic_effects , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC
11*, ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT * effect));)

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Rumble is just a very simple "rumble" effect, normally you replace this by a periodic sine wave (or other supported wave) of the required amplitude. Actually, Linux supports rumble because the driver does an internal translation for you. I still want to have a "rumble" for the simples use case where all you want is a bit of vibration in the joystick.

Oh, and for integrating ALLEGRO_HAPTIC devices with joystick and mouse, I think
al_get_haptic_from_mouse and al_get_haptic_from_joystick should be enough for now. Normally I'd imagine you first install the joysticks and then enable the haptic effects on them. We could probably put that in the docs too and perhaps even require this, although I still haven't figured out yet how to make this work with the pluggable joysticks feature.

And yes, that was an oversight. The proper signature is of course
AL_FUNC(bool, al_stop_all_haptic_effects , (ALLEGRO_HAPTIC *));

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I think the ALLEGRO_HAPTIC for any joystick should behave exactly like the ALLEGRO_JOYSTICKs. If it's unplugged or one is plugged in the current state remains valid. Those devices become usable/unusable once you call al_reconfigure_joysticks. I guess with mice or other devices we just not support hotplugging at least at this time.

And I agree that having a simple "rumble" effect is a good idea.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Yes, I see the point about al_reconfigure_joysticks. Perhhaps that's what al_reconfigure_haptics will do on the side of the haptic devices then?

Oh, and it went easier than I thought, I set up a copy of the Allegro development branch on Github. You need the "haptics" branch specifically, get it here:

https://github.com/beoran/allegro/tree/haptic

Ah git... It's sometimes a bit difficult to use, but in functionality, it's "king"!

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Depends. Besides gamepads, what other haptic devices are there that will be supported? DirectInput only supports haptics on gamepads. On Linux we could do something like we do for joysticks already, but I don't know if hot pluggable haptic devices are as important as joysticks. Do other haptic devices on Linux get /dev/input/js* devices or something else? If so they'd probably be treated like joysticks with no buttons or whatever, and al_reconfigure_joysticks would take care of them automatically.

Checking out the code now.

EDIT: Couldn't complete the checkout. Got this error:

warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

In linux, any input device can have haptic capabilities. So it's not linked to /dev/input/js0 at all, really. At least in theory, linux can have haptic keyboards, haptic trackerballs, haptic mise, haptic tablets, haptic touch screens, etc.

Another reason why haptic devices may not be integrated in joystics is on mobile platforms. Iphones and android can vibrate the whole phone, which isn't connected to the input. I though this should probably be modeled in Allegro as a haptic device too.

And the code isn't in compiling state, sorry for that. I just blasted it there quickly so we could "git" going. :p

Edit: to solve your git problem, after clning the repository, go into the seemingly empty cloned allegro subdir and do

git checkout 653125e2e3c80953d153c0a3f34326e940e8cadc
git checkout -b haptic

To get the repository in working state.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ok, but the error is from git. I can't clone the repository.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

I tested it, if you do git clone and then get that message, you should find a seemingly empty allegro directory. That means the cloning actually worked, just the checkout didn't.

Necause git's not able to find the right branch (it expects master but that doesn't exist), it checks out nothing and leaves the allegro directory seemingly empty. So you must manually check out the latest revision and tell it that is the haptic branch.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

(I only looked at this briefly so far)

You provide a filled-in effect structure to al_upload_haptic_effect, but then you must provide the same address to al_play_haptic_effect? I think the previous design was cleaner, where the ALLEGRO_HAPTIC object owns the effect after uploading, and returns a handle for you to work with.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Yeah that makes sense to me. I just couldn't articulate it.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

beoran said:

Iphones and android can vibrate the whole phone, which isn't connected to the input. I though this should probably be modeled in Allegro as a haptic device too.

I agree.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

OK, I'll reinstate the int handle based API. Or should I use a ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_PLAYBACK * , a bit like the sound API?

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Maybe ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT_ID (not a pointer) if we were to match the audio API.

Do we need the stuff to enumerate/reconfigure/get/release individual ALLEGRO_HAPTIC objects? I'm assuming that haptic devices could be a component of some other objects, mainly ALLEGRO_JOYSTICK. For vibrating the whole phone, we might use the ALLEGRO_DISPLAY as the parent (or introduce something different). This might simplify the API a bit.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

I'll take another look at the audio API and try to see how I can match that best with an ALLEGRO_HAPTIC_EFFECT_ID.

As for simplifying the API, unfortunately, some haptic devices are not connected to another device such as a display, screen or a joystick. Think of the PS2 Rez "Trance Vibrator" or other similar haptic devices. We have to think of everything...

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

We have joy sticks.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Ah yes, joy sticks like these ones too:
http://therionorteline.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/usb-vibrator.jpg?w=1092
;)

True, we could model such a no-input haptic device as a joystick (that does not return events), but I feel that that doesn't make much sense now if that makes sense. Also mice and keyboards can be haptic as well.

However, perhaps a few joystick wrapper functions could be useful, like say
al_joystick_upload_haptic_effect, al_joystick_upload_play_effect, etc?

1   2 

Go to: