Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Allegro 5.0.9 released!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Allegro 5.0.9 released!
simast
Member #12,668
March 2011

But this page ... shows Windows XP support...

To get your executable to run under Windows XP with Visual Studio 2012, you need to:

1) Build with Visual Studio 2012 (Update 1 installed and required for XP support)
2) Select a special "v110_xp" Platform Toolset in project options.

and to run..

a) Statically link with MSVC 11.0 runtime
or..
b) Have Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (Update 1) installed on your machine.

I take it the allegro binary builds that were posted above had the default "v110" Platform Toolset selected - which requires Vista+ to run.

Edit: See this blog post for more info.

MS had the idea they can silently drop Windows XP support.. but then got lots of heat based on their decision and that's why now you have this whole separate Platform Toolset and Update 1 fiasco :)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

That's helpful. I'm just trying to answer somebody's question on Stackoverflow. I would guess that the Allegro binaries weren't built that way, and thus do require Vista.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Many thanks for posting the binaries. It's much appreciated.

Edit:

If you think version for some toolchain is missing, let me know.

I don't suppose binaries for 4.7.1 TDM would be possible? It's what comes with Code::Blocks by default now and I wouldn't mind upgrading my 4.6.1 to it. (ie: allegro-5.0.9-mingw-4.7.1-tdm.7z)

I would compile it myself but I always seem to have problems. Maybe I'll try again.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

You know, maybe we should convince he code blocks people to package allegro 5 , it's mature enough....

david nickson
Member #15,015
March 2013

Hi,

I can't seem to get ALLEGRO_MIN_LINEAR and ALLEGRO_MAG_LINEAR to work with allegro 5.0.9 and Direct3D.
I think my code is correct as it works when I set al_set_new_display_flags( ALLEGRO_OPENGL );
I've read in the changelog of version 4.9.22: "Added three new bitmaps flags ALLEGRO_MAG_LINEAR, ALLEGRO_MIN_LINEAR, ALLEGRO_MIPMAP. Removed the config settings for linear/anisotropic min/mag filtering. DirectX side not yet updated."
Is it still not working on allegro 5.0.9 ?
Was it fixed in an unofficial version or has someone a fix?

Thanks

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

That was a long time ago. It should be working now. What do you mean by "it doesn't work"?

david nickson
Member #15,015
March 2013

Thanks for the reply,

It looks like that the allegro_min_linear/allegro_max_linear is not taken into account with direct3d rendering.

I attached an image to show the differences.
On the left, it's a screenshot with opengl rendering.
On the right, with direct3d rendering.
The top image is enlarged on the screen, so it should use allegro_max_linear.
On the bottom image, the numbers are displayed smaller than their texture, so it should use allegro_min_linear.
I also tried using allegro_mipmap, but I still have the issue.

I'm using allegro 5.0.9 (precompiled versions)

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Can you either 1) post your code or a small example that demonstrates this or 2) try running ex_filter (since you're using the binaries you may have to download the 5.0.9 source and compile it.)

david nickson
Member #15,015
March 2013

Thanks for the suggestions, it was very helpful

I compiled the ex_filter sample and it didn't have the bug.
Then I remembered that I render everything using the primitives addon.

I updated the ex_filter sample to use al_draw_prim and could reproduce the issue.
The updated sample with the bug is here: http://pastebin.com/CgSpPs4e

I also uploaded a screenshot : top is opengl, bottom is direct3d

Thanks.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I guess the primitives addon may change some state, thought not sure why it would change that particular state. Don't even have Allegro on this computer to check. My initial guess is the shaders primitives uses get it wrong?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Looks like in OpenGL the sampler state is a bitmap property, while in D3D it is a display property... i.e. you need to re-set it before every draw call. I fixed this in 5.1.

I think this also affects the shader stuff (I didn't see if the sampler states are set anywhere for textures other than the first one). It's a little late, so I won't be able to fix this myself.

EDIT: Incidentally, a workabout that might work (untested) is to draw the affected bitmaps with al_draw_bitmap_region (just use a 0 width destination, so nothing is actually drawn). Allegro doesn't bother to reset the sampler states, so they will remain set correctly when the primitives code runs. The proper fix will be in 5.0.10 though (and is already in 5.1 branch and will be in the 5.1.6 snapshot).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

david nickson
Member #15,015
March 2013

The workaround with an empty al_draw_bitmap_region works!
I'll use this while waiting for a stable binary release with the proper fix.

Thanks a lot Trent and SiegeLord!;)

1   2 

Go to: