Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SantaHack 2012

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SantaHack 2012
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I didn't get a game from my "Santahacker" :'(.

Oh well... I'll try SiegeLord's. It looks quite interesting :).

bamccaig, hope you enjoy yours!

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

SiegeLord: I hope you got mine working, even though it's only in the link above and not in the santahack system :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I didn't get a game from my "Santahacker"

Me neither :(

To be honest mine is really something VERY BASIC, unluckily i had to work more than expected and had little time for develop my gift.

My gift had to be "something like old school warcraft".
{"name":"607073","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/c\/3ca8e84a47e8562ef9c5ea6f2e94f41e.jpg","w":1176,"h":735,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/c\/3ca8e84a47e8562ef9c5ea6f2e94f41e"}607073

What this means (considering what i had time to implement) is that you control Santa and you must visit three houses, killing orcs along the way. Left-click to select Santa, right click to move, attack and activate the house. (the first house you see is your base, nothing to do there)
The runnable Jar (double click should work): https://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/607074
and the sources: https://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/607075

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Elias said:

SiegeLord: I hope you got mine working, even though it's only in the link above and not in the santahack system :)

I did, hah. Even tried to fix the poor elephant who incorrectly attached himself to his sleigh ;). I really enjoyed it though, hehe.

Oh well... I'll try SiegeLord's. It looks quite interesting :).

Heh, it looks interesting but is probably quite boring :P. Anyway, I'll set up a dedicated server tomorrow so the interested parties might play together.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Here is the SantaHack entry as I blogged it. Talking about the blog, will they become public ?

Screen:
{"name":"607076","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f34cf1307b80aa8f10dc87be7a4c23c.jpg","w":809,"h":636,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f34cf1307b80aa8f10dc87be7a4c23c"}607076
There are falling snow and Christmas balls. You can jump from green block to green block.

There are background stars but you only see them on top of the tree.

It was originally due to be a timed climbing with some shoot / collect things in 10 levels.

In the future release the floors will fall if Santa stays on it too much time.

Santa falling in bottom of the screen should have signified a life loose but it's not implemented.

For now it's Suuuuuuupaaaaaa Saaaaaantaaaaaa !! Invincible you can call him.

Enough babbling, I'm just too angry because I couldn't put more time into it in times ( how many time did I used the word time ? )

Binary (Heavy ! 16.9 MB)
Sources. (gcc win32) The missing framework can be found here: http://members.allegro.cc/GullRaDriel/

I'll do a release which will include scoring, beating vs Christmas balls, sled on top of the tree, higher tree and jpg gfxs because I was so in a hurry that I did just use bitmap format. Shame on me ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

Grace period was under an hour. It was meant to give a short period of extra time for snags uploading, not to give extra debugging or sleeping time.

Given the time of year, I think a day of grace would be called for.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Given the time of year, I think a day of grace would be called for.

Also known as making the competition a day longer. :P

Talking about the blog, will they become public ?

Yes, after Christmas.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

BAF said:

Also known as making the competition a day longer. :P

I noticed ;). Thanks for that, BAF :D.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

Also known as making the competition a day longer.

Maybe ;)

Well it is your comp, Mr Grinch.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

bamccaig, hope you enjoy yours!

Now I feel extra bad because I didn't submit a game for BAF (I probably shouldn't have even gotten Aaron's game until everyone else got it, but I uploaded my incomplete entry and I guess the system considered it sufficient). :(

I love my game, Aaron! It's so perfect for me in every way and I love what you did it with it! Such good work! Thank you.

> help help
SANTAputer is not amused.

:D

For the heck of it, here is a source and binary pack for my grossly incomplete entry[1]:

sgmitt-0.1.1-bin.zip
sgmitt-0.1.1-src.zip

My documentation is probably not really sufficient so I'll add an extra note here: the binaries require the MinGW run-time and Allegro 5. I wanted to bundle them, but I wasn't sure about licensing. For Allegro I guess it would probably be OK, but MinGW is a bigger can of worms. Sounded like I'd have to provide the source code for all of MinGW, which is silly, so it's much easier to just let you install that separately.

The Makefile is MinGW specific (and hard-coded), but the code does build and run in Linux; so you can just build it as you would any other Allegro 5 game in Linux. The libal5poly project has a working Linux Makefile included. I have one for sgmitt too, but it's on a branch that I didn't pull down to Windows before bundling up the zips and the diff is like 3 additions and 3 deletions so I'm sure you can figure it out. ;)

I guess now that the competition is officially over I'll create a public GitHub repository to push to. You know, so I can complete it[2][3].

I guess I'll wait for the official release for the description to get out (because I'm lazy and already feel like we're breaking the rules bypassing the santahack.net site). :)

References

1. Do not download these. :P
  2. No, really!
  3. Maybe.
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I also got the santaputer game as a fallback, but how do you run it?

pepsi@fractal:~/santaputer 07:32 PM $ lua main.lua
bash: lua: command not found
pepsi@fractal:~/santaputer 07:32 PM $ ./main.lua
bash: ./main.lua: Permission denied
pepsi@fractal:~/santaputer 07:32 PM $ chmod +x main.lua 
pepsi@fractal:~/santaputer 07:32 PM $ ./main.lua
./main.lua: line 1: local: can only be used in a function
./main.lua: line 2: local: can only be used in a function
./main.lua: line 3: $'\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 4: local: can only be used in a function
./main.lua: line 5: $'{\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 6: message: command not found
./main.lua: line 7: index: command not found
./main.lua: line 8: $'\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 9: cursor: command not found
./main.lua: line 10: cursorTime: command not found
./main.lua: line 11: maxCursorTime: command not found
./main.lua: line 12: $'\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 13: visible: command not found
./main.lua: line 14: passwordEntry: command not found
./main.lua: line 15: $'}\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 16: $'\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 17: local: can only be used in a function
./main.lua: line 18: local: can only be used in a function
./main.lua: line 19: $'{\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 20: password: command not found
./main.lua: line 21: $'}\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 22: $'\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 23: local: can only be used in a function
./main.lua: line 24: local: can only be used in a function
./main.lua: line 25: local: can only be used in a function
./main.lua: line 26: $'\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 27: local: can only be used in a function
./main.lua: line 28: local: can only be used in a function
./main.lua: line 29: $'\r': command not found
./main.lua: line 30: syntax error near unexpected token `('
'/main.lua: line 30: `local function reboot()
pepsi@fractal:~/santaputer 07:32 PM $ 

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

To run SANTAputer, you need to install love2d 0.8: https://love2d.org/

Then type love santaputer (where santaputer is the directory main.lua resides in).

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I am officially a traitor. :( Really great entry, Aaron. I'll keep poking it to see if there's any treats that I missed.

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

I got SANTAputer too. It looks like you saved SantaHack Aaron :D

--------------------------------------------------
"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

My blog: http://joshuadover.tumblr.com

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

BAAaaAAF, http://www.santahack.net/2012/downloads doesn't work for me :'(.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Same here ^^

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I think BAF kept all the presents for himself.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Or he could have withheld them to protect us all from mediocrity.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Yes, I horded them all.

Okay, okay, fine. I'll share them. I forgot to finish the downloads page, so I need to do that real quick. Then they'll be public. :-x

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Good work BAF, keep going ^^

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Sorry about the delay, I dropped the ball on that one.

I need to look and see if anyone aside from bamccaig uploaded incomplete entries, so they can be displayed as well. Next year, should probably add an option to mark the entry as incomplete, but still allow all the data to be entered.

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

SANTAputer was fun! :D It took me 10 minutes and three crashes though... :-/

I had forgotten that A4's END_OF_MAIN() had to be without the semicolon at the end

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

What harm does the extra semicolon do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

I need to look and see if anyone aside from bamccaig uploaded incomplete entries, so they can be displayed as well. Next year, should probably add an option to mark the entry as incomplete, but still allow all the data to be entered.

Yeah, I assumed because I didn't check off any of the wishlist requirements that it would flag it as incomplete (or fail form validation), but I digress. A checkbox to say "it is complete" would be good (or a big bold statement saying not to upload incomplete entries ;)).

Go to: