Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SantaHack 2012

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SantaHack 2012
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

What's the huge attraction for fullscreen anyway? DOS did it because the normal text screen didn't support windowed graphics. Is it because the other stuff surrounding the window is distracting, or is it the reduced resolution?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I don't find it more immersive. There's still the monitor frame. And I still get all kinds of notifications even in fullscreen.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I would agree that it's more immersive. I actually maximize all windows for the same reason. It let's me focus on one thing and gives me as much space as possible (less scrolling and wrapping).

Fullscreen has downsides though. In Linux, if a fullscreen application crashes then your X environment is left in the same resolution, which can be very frustrating. In Windows, some fullscreen applications don't cooperate well with multitasking. For example, in Skyrim if you task switch away and back it doesn't work right away. I find that I have to switch to Skyrim, then task switch again to another application and back to Skyrim. Also, the volume controls on my keyboard don't work while I'm playing Skyrim fullscreen, which is very annoying because I need my volume at max. to even hear the game. If I forget then I have to wrestle with the task switching thing. :P

I mostly just find free floating windows annoying. They overlap one another and random ways and it is annoying to manage them myself. I am used to having everything maximized though now. :) And I usually fullscreen games so nothing on the desktop breaks immersion.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Here's what I made so far. Yesterday for the code, today for the Blender models.

{"name":"607038","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/03a7a40e08db9c4a6cf10229d7338820.jpg","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/03a7a40e08db9c4a6cf10229d7338820"}607038

I won't have time to work on it during the week though and a lot of stuff is left to do so not sure I'll have a game ready.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Is it because the other stuff surrounding the window is distracting, or is it the reduced resolution?

The former, when I play, I want to play the game, not to chat with friends, read web etc. It's the same as watching films, though I know some people who watch them windowed and reply to messages written to them.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

bamccaig said:

BAF: There appears to be a problem with the blogs because I can't post anymore. Is there a length limit or something? Perhaps "profanity" is not allowed? Perhaps I just screwed up some Markdown syntax and need the preview functionality to tell me...

:o

There shouldn't be any limits or anything. No profanity filters either. What does it do after you try to post?

[edit]
I have record of 3 posts from you. I didn't look at post content, so I don't know if one is invalid (invalid syntax should still produce something though).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It started working again a few hours ago. I was unable to post for quite a while though. Server just returned a generic error (it seemed like something failing server-side and just returning HTTP 500 or something). I wonder if maybe it was because you updated the form with the file upload and I was trying to submit without. Perhaps the software you're using does some kind of checks to make sure the form matches or something? I don't know. In any case, seem to be working again.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I think I may have changed some of the field names on the form, which may explain the problem; I don't remember for sure (but even still, it should have then failed validation, rather than erroring out). I'm not really sure what happened, I'll have to look back through the logs, if I still have old enough logs (not sure how long Heroku keeps logs for).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Something occurred to me that I figured I would ask about, predominantly for the sake of it (read: fun).

Quote:

Publicly available libraries and runtimes can be linked to, and need not be included in this file.

In my case, I am attempting to build my Santahack entry with my libal5poly library, which is far from complete. I intend to extend it while I develop my Santahack entry, adding generic code that isn't specific to my entry to the library instead where appropriate. It's not really clear if my library's code then has to become a part of my entry's submission size limits[1]. Going deeper, what if I were to only add minor enhancements to the library and most of the code was untouched? Would it suffice to include e.g., a patch file for the library or would the entire "bulk"[2] have to be included in the submission entry?

I think that it can be rightly argued that code that exists before the competition begins can be excluded, and code that is written during must be included, but how do you separate intertwined code? It could also be argued that a patch (assuming the patch size is sufficiently smaller than the library as a whole; else it's useless) is sufficient code-wise to turn the before into the after. This is, of course, assuming the distributor/end user has or can acquire a patch program (of course, patch is freely available for all platforms, as far as I know).

Like I said, there's no way that it's actually going to be a limiting factor in my participation, but I just thought I would bring it up for the sake of it. I realize that Santahack, as with all of our looming-deadline competitions are all in the spirit of fun, but this seems like an interesting question to raise.

Append:

As an extension to this, I suppose it's also reasonable to consider the implications of an open source library being actively developed while the competition is taking place. Would you be able to freely use new features that were developed during the competition (by a third party or otherwise), or not; and under what conditions? :D

References

1. I'm absolutely certain that it wouldn't be a problem including the library code in the archive space-wise, though I might frown on it from a distribution model standpoint. I'm not concerned about size. :)
  2. There really isn't a bulk of anything yet.
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I'd say if the library was largely a code result from the competition, then it needs to be included in source form. If minor features were tweaked/bugs fixed, then I'd say it doesn't need to be included.

The only licensing restrictions on SantaHack entries are that a) they must be open source, and b) whatever you upload must be freely distributable on the SantaHack site.

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

It looks like the site doesn't have submission options yet; am I missing them or are they just not there yet?

--------------------------------------------------
"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

My blog: http://joshuadover.tumblr.com

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

You're supposed to work longer on your gift. >:(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

I am, I'm just afraid that I'll be working on it right up to the deadline, so I'd like to know how to submit and everything already ;)

"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

No submission yet; I need to complete it. I've been way too busy this week, and needing to finish the SantaHack site is cutting into what little time I have to work on my entry. :-X :(

[edit]
But yeah, there will be a submit page (on the navbar, next to Blog). And there is a short grace period too, so you'll have plenty of time to figure it out. 8-)

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I managed to find time 8-).

I'm using Love2d to make the game, as my recipient has a passion for Linux and I don't have access to a Linux box right now. This is just to make sure it'll run on Linux...but the trade off is, it uses SDL. Oh well.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

The submission page is now up and running.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

The submission page is now up and running. not working.

Submission said:

The following files were not saved:
SRC.zip is not a zip file.
GIFT.zip is not a zip file.

;-P

Edit:

Come on guys ! I cheer you up ! Hope we all finish our entry for a merry Christmas Hack ! :-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

I have menus; no gameplay yet :-X

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I am almost done with my gift. Just have to add the small feature of [redacted] and it's done!

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Not a zip file? :o

What browser?

[edit]
Possibly fixed. I tweaked the logic in that section of code. Let me know if you still can't upload, Gull.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Boom! Done with the game!

It's not bad for a few hours of time to work on it. I hope my recipient explores the game rather than rushing to solve it, because of all the little quirky things I did :).

Just need to write a README now.

---
they / she

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Blogs are now improved; you can preview posts before posting and edit and delete old posts.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

About 2/3 of the time is gone and I'm maybe 1/3 done, and somehow I've been sssucckeedd back into cabdriving with the weekend upon us, so it probably won't get finished as in playable. Also, my computer is making funny noises, so I just spent the last three hours backing up over a patch cable to the old computer.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: