Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SantaHack 2012

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SantaHack 2012
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

So now we start coding a game that's based on our wishlist or what? I have the next two or three days off, even if I don't decide to ragequit.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Gosh, you people really need to RTFR.

Quote:

When the development phase begins, each eligible participant will be assigned to a Secret Santa for fulfillment.
As a Secret Santa, you are expected to create a game that fulfills at least one of the descriptions from the given wishlist.

So you wait a few more hours until the magic machine assigns you to some other person's wish list (based on your scores, platform support etc) and then you develop that.

Obviously you could whip up some engine/etc before you know the specifics...

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

Development begins! 8-)

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I'm quite happy of my task.
What do you guys think: should the app be full-screen or not?

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I wonder if I should pick one of the three ideas or try to do all three.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

FMC: make it an option.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

The blog functionality is still a little rough. There's an update in the pipeline that adds preview, edit, and delete functionality and allows uploading of screenshots with the posts. That should be coming later today or early tomorrow.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

FMC said:

What do you guys think: should the app be full-screen or not?

Selectable or windowed, please!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Blagh, shame me, but I can't participate.

Sorry :(...

I wanted to manage something. Ah, well.

edit: To clarify, I'll try to make time, but there's a large chance I won't be able to get anything done because of lack of said time.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

I'm just now getting started o.O

But I've got my idea and a chunk of the generic code already done, so I think I stand a chance of finishing something :D

--------------------------------------------------
"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

My blog: http://joshuadover.tumblr.com

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I asked about the fullscreen thing hoping each would respond (and so also my gift receiver), as Arthur did.

So, i completely started from scratch, i hope i'm not being too ambitious. Coding in Java makes things a bit easier for me though.

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

+1 for windowed at least an option, and make it default.
Especially for games made in a short time the risk for fullscreen fucking up your desktop in the event of a crash is substantial.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

So I didn't participate this year. But I hang around kind of a stowaway and actually try to make an update to my last year entry. Works fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

A little teaser: ;)
{"name":"607037","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/8\/c8b7f215d86a4e925039084e2491ea30.gif","w":870,"h":623,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/8\/c8b7f215d86a4e925039084e2491ea30"}607037

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

Damn, I only got rectangles that don't do anything on my screen so far. :-/

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

So far I've got this code:
// TODO: Make game
Yeah, I'm kind of sick and turns out I have an exam this week :X
I still think I can make it since I'm not that sick and the exam isn't that important or hard, but it is an added difficulty.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'm working on using various stretched icospheres and prolate spheroids to make crude 3d body parts, OTOH I might just use cubes like Minecraft in the end.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I'm still working on coming up with an excuse. :o

I didn't start yet. I need to get something out because the Mod of the Year voting in ModDB ends in some days, so I need to get some media out before then. If I feel bored maybe I'll get to my task in the last days. Last time I did GiftCraft in like the last 3 days. :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I got libal5poly building and running in Windows, but it's not pretty. :'(

BAF: There appears to be a problem with the blogs because I can't post anymore. Is there a length limit or something? Perhaps "profanity" is not allowed? :D Perhaps I just screwed up some Markdown syntax and need the preview functionality to tell me... :-/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Is fullscreen window okay?

I wouldn't mind that, as long as I can see the taskbar.

[EDIT]

Oh, wait, I just tried ex_display_options again! NO!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Mine is windowed, but the window is resizeable and supports the maximize button.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Go to: