Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SantaHack 2012

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SantaHack 2012
FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Is using Java ok? The rules specify that allegro is not required but i didn't see anything on language.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

As long as it runs on the target platform, it's fine!

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Thanks!

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

This is a bit unclear from the rules; Should I vote based solely on a wish's adherence to the requirements or should I also factor in how much I think I'd like to be the one to implement the wish?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I just voted based on whether I'd like to play the game or not, but the descriptions were vague enough that I didn't give any of them a 1 or a 5 (yet). There were more than a few that hadn't occurred to me when I made my wishlist.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I voted with a mix of how much i'd like the game and if would be doable for me to implement it.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

A mix of adherence and how much you'd like to implement that rule. Assignments are based on your votes, so vote higher on rules you like and lower on those you don't, that way you get an enjoyable assignment for the competition.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

(sigh) there's no time this year, again :(

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'll have 5 - 7 days off to attempt to submit an entry, I think. :) That said, I'll probably be back to drinking beer by then and my motivation will disappear. >:( We will see if I can come up with something... Indeed, we will...

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

Voted! My game ideas so far have got a bad rating as expected. :P I voted the other ideas based on how doable it is and how much I like the it.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

My ideas are currently 2.222, 2.333, 2.375. So I can't even participate :'(

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

bamccaig said:

I'll probably be back to drinking beer by then and my motivation will disappear.

But coding while drunk is so much more fun! hahaha

Elias said:

My ideas are currently 2.222, 2.333, 2.375. So I can't even participate :'(

:o :'(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm super glad there are a bunch of people competing this year! :) :) :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Yesterday my ideas were at 4.5, today they have all been crushed to 3.4 :(

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Mine are 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 now. Is >= 2.5 enough or does it have to be > 2.5? And why do people hate stars so much :P

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Quote:

To be eligible for the competition, you must have at least one description with an average score of 2.5 or higher, and must have cast a vote for at least half of the available descriptions.

Just hold on tight, Elias! :o

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Voted. My Wishlist is rated an average 3.2/5

I got ideas and I promised to keep things simples.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Elias said:

Is >= 2.5 enough or does it have to be > 2.5?

Like bambam said, >= 2.5.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Why does it draw 2.5 in red then?

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Ah, because I can't keep > and >= straight. The eligibility checking code is correct though (I just double checked to make sure). I'll fix the red rendering.

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

All my ideas are rated between 2.5 and 3, which is good enough. :)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

BAF said:

I'll fix the red rendering.

Should be fixed now.

Elias said:

And why do people hate stars so much :P

Was that your rule? I voted low on that one because it's so very vague. :P

[edit] But hey, you pulled through! Whoo!

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

Holy cow. I did not realize it was so close :o

Time to get hacking on my framework/engine!

--------------------------------------------------
"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

My blog: http://joshuadover.tumblr.com

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

BAF said:

Was that your rule? I voted low on that one because it's so very vague.

I thought he meant Stars the 4X game, probably meaning "any 4X game"; Which I promptly voted down for being too big for the time limit :X

I ended up with decent scores for my wishes by wishing for things that I would both like to receive and would like to program for the hack.

Go to: