Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Eight Seasons

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Eight Seasons
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Hey everyone,

I've been working very hard on a game revolving around a poem. I put together a brief demo, to see how well it works on computers other than those I have physical access to. The minimum specs as far as I can discern are a decent processor and a discrete graphics card, but to which extent I'm not sure.

Here is what it looks like:

{"name":"606883","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/1\/41c076c3dc94eb456d9f98d22b1cd5e5.png","w":960,"h":540,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/1\/41c076c3dc94eb456d9f98d22b1cd5e5"}606883

You may not be able to tell, but 99% of the graphics are resolution independent. They're look just as nice at 1080p as they do at the default resolution (960 by 540, windowed). The game should run nicely at any fullscreen resolution beyond the minimum (if you select the fullscreen option, then it will use your current desktop resolution).

I would appreciate if anyone who tests it can provide a couple details of their system (CPU and GPU). Also, if you could try it out at various quality settings (see options from the main menu; some options require the game to be restarted). The main two are "Advanced shading" and "Image quality." Advanced shading disables the image quality setting; it's off by default, but if enabled, should let the game run faster on modern GPUs. On the other hand, setting different image quality values will increase the quality if shading is disabled, but at the cost of more geometry.

Anyway, enough blabbering. Here is the download link:

Download!

The controls are completely mouse based. When you get in game, click on the left side of the screen to move left, and vice versa for right.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

For reference, I run at a silky smooth 60 FPS at any resolution on my desktop (nVidia 560 Ti and Core i7 920). On my netbook, I get 30 FPS with an ION graphics chip and Atom CPU. Performance on anything I possess with a discrete graphics chip and decent processor is a constant 60 FPS, but I only have a few samples to test it on!

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ran ok here. I ran in a VM so the results aren't very accurate, but I got about 20-25 FPS on a 2GHz core2duo with a Nvidia 9600M.

I think it's pretty cool that you've got scaleable graphics working with Allegro. Can you tell us how you've done it?

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

This is on a i5 2500K and an HD6950 (or however that name should go), so probably not surprising but in terms of FPS its a solid 60 both with highest image quality and with shaders, both windowed and fullscreen (1920*1080).
Memory however seemed problematic, if I was just standing still it would climb and climb and climb. I let it reach 18000k at which point I moved and it plummeted down to 11000k, but then started climbing back up.
Another thing I noticed is that after completely disabling sound, one time when I started the game I heard the first beep of that intolerable dial tone thing you have when the game starts.

Otherwise, looks like a pretty cool achievement; I think what you did with the graphics is really nice.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Runs great on my Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Core2Duo with 9400m graphics.

Awesome job, your vector graphics engine is really becoming optimized! :)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Just noticed a bug: when I first launch the game and click on the right, the girl wanna go ... on the left ???

Edit: haaa get it ! the move is based on the middle of the screen and mouse position.... you should have based the direction on the difference between mouse and girl position, not difference on the middlescreen and mouse position.

Edit 2: else everything is fine and smooth (I7,Radeon5500,W7x64)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

moric haega
Member #13,935
January 2012

i3 370m here, no discrete GFX. Fullscreen, 1080p, about 30fps both with quality at 0.0 and 1.0. The "advanced shaders" option makes it crash before the logo, no error.

Lua memory use seems to go up like crazy (only tried for a few seconds, because I remembered I booted my computer to do work ;) )

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

It worked fine on this machine (4 cores, ATI something graphics) but I noticed the memory counter always increasing which, I suppose, is not a good thing. Later I may try it on my old machine but It wouldn't be a surprise if it doesn't run there.

Also, there's only 2 rooms?.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I think it's pretty cool that you've got scaleable graphics working with Allegro. Can you tell us how you've done it?

It's done in OpenGL but easy to port to Allegro. I'll explain it later; watch this space!

jmasterx said:

Runs great on my Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Core2Duo with 9400m graphics.

Awesome job, your vector graphics engine is really becoming optimized!

Thanks a bunch! Glad to know it runs great :D!

Memory however seemed problematic, if I was just standing still it would climb and climb and climb. I let it reach 18000k at which point I moved and it plummeted down to 11000k, but then started climbing back up.

Thank you very much for noticing this memory leak. I will look into this! Also, the dial tone is just temporary. My brother still hasn't made me a jingle :P!

i3 370m here, no discrete GFX. Fullscreen, 1080p, about 30fps both with quality at 0.0 and 1.0. The "advanced shaders" option makes it crash before the logo, no error.

That's strange. I explicitly check if shaders are both enabled and compatible with the display. I'll look into that!

Later I may try it on my old machine but It wouldn't be a surprise if it doesn't run there.

Also, there's only 2 rooms?.

Yep, there's only two rooms right now. Also, could you try it on the old machine, if you get the chance?

Thanks everyone!

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

I got the windows bug where the application gets set to a location outside of the screen... Try setting the display position to 0,0.

I tried setting fullscreen on and restarting, but I now just can't do anything(it appears in a small rectangle spanning the left side of my screen)... Windows 7 + ATI Radeon HD 6470M.

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I tried it on my old machine (single core Celeron @ 1.7 GHz, integrated Intel graphics with no shader support) and it ran surprisingly well despite some low fps. I'm attaching a screenshot. The reported fps is low but ingame didn't feel so bad.

Also, the border image didn't fit the whole window but other than that it worked fine.

{"name":"606894","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a8791ce904152f83c4e4162abbb2259.jpg","w":966,"h":568,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a8791ce904152f83c4e4162abbb2259"}606894

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

J-Gamer said:

I got the windows bug where the application gets set to a location outside of the screen... Try setting the display position to 0,0.

I tried setting fullscreen on and restarting, but I now just can't do anything(it appears in a small rectangle spanning the left side of my screen)... Windows 7 + ATI Radeon HD 6470M.

Thank you very much for this information. I now center the window on the primary window using Win32 instead of Allegro's default positioning stuff.

Also, the border image didn't fit the whole window but other than that it worked fine.

Thank you! I fixed that (hopefully).

Can both of you test my latest version and see if it fixes these problems?

Latest version!

---
they / she

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

The border image (or overlay, I don't know how to call it) still doesn't fit to the window. This might be some hardware limitation, though. This machine is REALLY old.

{"name":"606901","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/8\/28d8d6a67b85e3b85dc16845c7d1b9f7.jpg","w":967,"h":574,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/8\/28d8d6a67b85e3b85dc16845c7d1b9f7"}606901

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

The border image (or overlay, I don't know how to call it) still doesn't fit to the window. This might be some hardware limitation, though. This machine is REALLY old.

That is because I am an idiot sometimes. It's probably not your hardware; I was writing out of bounds. It's fixed now. Can you try it one more time? I updated the zip here. Thanks again!

---
they / she

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

It looks correct now.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Go to: