Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Allegro 5 forums

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5 forums
AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

After the success of the website www.anothergames.com which had the Allegro 5 book, i welcome you to its new forums. I have build a whole website for game development and included in an Allegro 5 book for all! I opened the forums too, so you can ask whatever you want.
You are welcome and if you like it please register!

www.anothergames.com

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

I like the site! Nice work! I really enjoyed reading your story on the "about me" page. Sounds like you've been through a lot to make it this far in programming and stuff :)

--------------------------------------------------
"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

My blog: http://joshuadover.tumblr.com

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Thanks!
I really appreciate your response.
Hope you like the book too :)

www.anothergames.com

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Good job. The book looks like it would be useful for beginners. Is there a list of tutorials on the wiki that you could add it to? Also you have a donate button but there's not enough information there to make a donation.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Thanks for the reply.
I don't know if i am allowed to post the tutorials of the wiki or just as a link to the tutorials.
At this time, I don't want people to donate money because it sounds wrong.
I want people to be part of it, like registering in the forums, offering softwares, giving their games or websites for reviews so the website builds up.
Also, there is no donation button from PayPal for my country at this time, but people should contact me using the contact form if they want to donate money.

www.anothergames.com

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You're allowed to add tutorials to the wiki. You can even add links to the wiki. I think what trentg said is you should add a link to your tutorial(s) to the wiki page that already has a list of tutorials.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Yes, good job too :)

For what it's worth, I don't know if it's the width of the main content, the font, or the proportions of the font to the line spacing but my brain finds it hard to read. It keeps telling me there's too much information to read on a line and a paragraph.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I think it's the lack of the use of <h1>/<h2>/<h3> tags. [edit] Or maybe just bold? I'm talking about things like the "Who is this book for?" headings.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Thanks for the replies!
I made some formatting with h2 headers as suggested and added a link to the allegro wiki at the starting page.
I didn't format all the book with h2, since I am doing something else, but will finish all of it later.
The book was written from me in 7 days and i think that writing is much easier than reading.
Anyway, i understand that formatting needs much more improvement, but who really wants to study game programming, there is no difficulties in reading.
At least i think so.

www.anothergames.com

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Also, wise people invented the <p> tag so you could separate paragraphs properly. White space counts for shit in HTML.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Will add the <p> formatting later
Thanks for suggestions!

www.anothergames.com

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Alex, I think your site has a lot of potential and a very slick design.

However, The High Court Of The Internet finds it imperative that you visit this link immediately and confess to your crimes.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Hi!
Thanks for the link, but it didnt open!
(unless it had some hacking features in...)

www.anothergames.com

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

The point of the link is, many people would murder you for using Comic Sans on your site. Though I think I'd like to murder a few of those people myself.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

L o L, i didnt know that!
I really like this type of font though.
There will be no murders ;)

www.anothergames.com

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

It might seem trivial, but comic sans alone will cause your site's bounce rate to increase -- and worst of all is that those people are the people you want on your site.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I have a few suggestions regarding the book.

• It would be nice if there was some way to see the current page number. Without this, I have to memorize which page I'm up to so that I can click the correct number when I'm ready for the next page.

• The contents at the start should be hyperlinks, pointing to their corresponding chapters. That way I don't have to guess the correct page number if I want to jump to a particular part of the book to remind myself of something, or to get back to where I finished reading on a previous visit. Better still, the contents with links could be a side-bar panel, similar to where you have the "link this page" sidebar.

• Some people might like to be able to download the book as a pdf or something like that.

[edit]
I see now that the page number is part of the url. But I don't think I'm the only person who rarely looks at the url for that kind of info.

-----------

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It would be nice if there was some way to see the current page number. Without this, I have to memorize which page I'm up to so that I can click the correct number when I'm ready for the next page.

Most sites I see with pagination have "Previous" and "Next" buttons to click on, as well as highlighting the current page number.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Go to: