Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Samsung pays Apple $1 Billion in 30 trucks full of 5 cents coins

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Samsung pays Apple $1 Billion in 30 trucks full of 5 cents coins
AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Hahahaha that would be just amazing...

Today the Internet is abound with the news of Samsung sending 30 trucks loaded with coins of 5 cents to the Apple’s headquarters in California. The news is a hoax.

This news report published in PaperBlog today says the security company that protects the facility said it was diverted to the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.

The report further says that the idea which originated from a meme of the popular website 9Gag.com, could present a way to pay the amount. It is to be noted that the jury did not specify a single payment method, and, so Samsung is entitled to send money in any form as they deem best, to the Mac producers.

Do you want your money? Take your money...

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Hoax...

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Yhea... When I received the message from a friend I thought it was true... I copied and pasted the news here in English, and then reading a little more I found it was fake... What a deception...

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

Would have been fun though ;D

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I copied and pasted the news here in English, and then reading a little more I found it was fake...

No further reading was needed. It said so in the first paragraph you posted. ;)

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Nope. Payments never happen till the entire case is finished (or I think a judge orders it). Including any and all appeals.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

IIRC, I read somewhere on the net about a woman paying a debt by enclosing a crude picture of a spider, with the cover letter saying something to the effect of:
"Enclosed please find an original artwork, which I valued at $800.00. I will forgo getting the balance of $300 on my $500 bill, just a simple thanks will do."

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Hahahahah MAN!!! ;D

"Can I have my drawing of a spider back then please." hahahahaha :o

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

There have been a lot of hoaxes this week. Bill Cosby and Bill Nye died, among others.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Derezo said:

Bill Cosby and Bill Nye died, among others.

Really? Lemme post that on my blog!

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I would send it in pennies. :D

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

NiteHackr said:

I would send it in pennies. :D

Wouldn't 1 billion USB in pennies cost a lot more than 1 billion USD because of the amount of copper?

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

m c said:

Wouldn't 1 billion USB in pennies cost a lot more than 1 billion USD because of the amount of copper?

They've been giving us counterfeit zinc slugs for pennies for more than 25 years now, and now they're going to degrade them even more. But they don't want you counterfeiting, oh, no!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Hah. All our coins are made of steel these days. The penny has a thin shaving of copper on each side, but the rest? steel.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Great, than you buy $1 billion in pennies, melt it down and sell the copper for more than you paid, this way you can pay them the money from the ruling and make some back at the same time! ;)

Canada is getting rid of our pennies. They have about 6 more months and then they will be no more (Feb 2013). Yay! I believe our quarters? Will be made of steel soon (I think it was quarters, I forget).

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Well pennies will just stop being minted. They will still be in circulation. But you will start to see them dwindling.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

What can a penny buy? Nothing. Ben Franklin bought three big loaves of bread with three pennies...

This is what happens when the governments decide to add money to the economy by fiat, so they can buy more votes with "free" healthcare and all kinds of other crap instead of ensuring the rights of the people. The reason expensive metals were used for coinage was from the economic lessons learned in ancient times.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It is indeed a problem. But its also the fault of people thinking its a great idea to just increase the price of things for no good reason. That causes people down stream to then raise the price of their stuff, and/or ask for more compensation, which then eventually circles around. Inflation wouldn't be nearly so bad if people just didn't react so stupidly to things.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

But without the extra money floating around, it'd adjust itself. Nowadays any little nudge in the economy is something for the government to fix, which they don't do worth a plugged nickel.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I still have an old 1899 Canadian penny, the thing is huge, larger than our $1 and $2 coins. I guess it must have reflected the value of copper. By 1920 electronics was booming, was probably why they reduced it to it's current size.

Money had real value back then. It's why nickles were larger than dimes. Dimes were made of silver, quarters as well. Nickles were made of... well, guess. ;)

I think nickles these days are actually worth more than dimes in actual metal content. Money is valued based on a stupid confidence game. Unreal.

Edit: correction, The penny is not larger, just looked at it, but close. ;) It's just a bit bigger than a quarter.

---

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

I'm sure this will sound extreme to some people, but in today's relatively stable economy, we could actually do without government intervention in the currency. It would be a much simpler and fairer system if instead of paying $20 in worthless paper or diluted currency, we paid in $20 worth of gold, silver, copper, etc. Of course, there's a whole other set of issues to be resolved in creating a modern "hard money" currency system, but imagine how much money it would save if the government wasn't pumping out fiat money! Another huge bonus: if the government doesn't control the currency, then it has far less control over you.

--------------------------------------------------
"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

My blog: http://joshuadover.tumblr.com

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

_Kronk_ said:

Another huge bonus: if the government doesn't control the currency, then it has far less control over you.

The people in charge don't consider that a bonus at all. :P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

NiteHackr said:

I think nickles these days are actually worth more than dimes in actual metal content.

I think canadian nickels are steel too. So theres very little value in them at all. At the very least they haven't actually been made of real nickel in a while.

Quote:

Rising nickel prices eventually caused another switch to cupronickel in 1982 (an alloy similar to the U.S. nickel), but more recently, Canadian nickels are minted in nickel-plated steel, containing a small amount of copper.

--

1   2 

Go to: