Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What a scam!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
What a scam!
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I have a room mate who's all wrapped up in something called Zeek Rewards, he's getting a bit snotty since he's going to be rich soon (and in a couple of weeks, he supposedly can get some of his $800 back). I can't seem to find anything real definite one way or the other about Zeek Rewards, but the other end of this thing is a penny auction at www.zeekler.com. I signed up with a fake name just to watch, and grabbed a couple screenshots.

Here I was watching some people bidding on a $100 Macy's gift card, it was at $9.96 when I started watching. But then I noticed the thumbnails on the right side, the bidding is more than double the retail price!

{"name":"606441","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/999dcd9ddfc67898500e607b3568ba16.png","w":1440,"h":900,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/999dcd9ddfc67898500e607b3568ba16"}606441

Apparently each bid costs somewhere around $0.60, so an item going for $200 means zeekler.com has made 20000 x .6 or so just by selling the bids, the markup of the item over retail is chicken feed.

{"name":"606442","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/44a6ce055b4b8408e04cab462c4cb597.png","w":1440,"h":900,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/44a6ce055b4b8408e04cab462c4cb597"}606442

I guess some people will throw good money after bad no matter how much it hurts.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Most people don't seem to actually think before they do something. You can easily convince them that it's a good deal. I know many people that can't pass up a sale.

"I just got a $product. They are on sale at $store. I saved $100! You should go and get one!"

"No, you spent $500 that you didn't need to spend instead of $600 that you didn't need to spend. Now instead of having $500 you have a paperweight that you could have easily lived without. Sell it for $600 and you will have earned $100 (minus time and effort), but good luck doing so if $store is selling them for $500."

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Oh look, lolski has an xp themed desktop ;D

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Windows 95! >:( XP looks like Fisher Price toys designed it.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Windows 95! >:( XP looks like Fisher Price toys designed it.

I agree.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I always change my theme to "classic" except on XP. I like the Fisher Price theme.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

A man can spend $200 on a $100 item he needs.
A woman can spend $100 on a $200 item she doesn't need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

That's racist Johan.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

This is how it goes in my household.

Me: Why have you got three packets of biscuits
Wife: Buy two get one free
Me: I only asked you to get one
Wife: But we've saved money

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

@Neil: If the household will use the 2 extra packets of biscuits (before the use by date) you have saved money. Yes it required you to invest the money into your biscuits now, but in 2 packets time, you get to enjoy a free packet of biscuits. :)

Who doesn't enjoy a free packet of biscuits?

Edit:
Yes I am capable of speaking fluent woman. :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

This is why we hardly have any women here...

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Timorg said:

Who doesn't enjoy a free packet of biscuits?

Not free, 30% off price along with the others.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Um, I stand corrected... ::)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

If you only wanted one, you've bought two. Double the price. You could argue you are saving the price but with food/drink you're more likely to consume them in the same time period. Well, if you're greedy like me ;D

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

1 litre of primer costed 14 €. 3 litres costed 26 €. 9 litres costed 56 €. I needed 5-6 litres, so I bought the 9 litre bucket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I like Amazon the best.

You want to buy Book A for £10.

So amazon says, "Why not by Book A and Book B for £20", when book B costs £10 too.

You could argue it's just offering related stuff, but in reality it's pretending to give you an offer when there is no offer.

Neil.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

bamccaig said:

Logic and reason

Generalization and sexism :)

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Massachusetts just had its tax holiday weekend. People were out in droves spending money just because they did not have to give the government an additional 6.25% of thier money.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Bob Keane said:

People were out in droves spending money just because they did not have to give the government an additional 6.25% of thier money.

But you didn't have to buy more of something to save money. And who doesn't like to shaft the man?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Quote:

Generalization and sexism :)

• Women are just as guilty of both of those things (if not more so).

• It's natural to recognize patterns and predict outcomes from past experiences.

• I haven't really seen anything blatantly sexist in this thread (except for maybe your own implication of sexism :-X).

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

bamccaig said:

I haven't really seen anything blatantly sexist in this thread

If women understood they will always be inferior then sexism wouldn't exist.

Neil.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

God must be chauvenistic because he designed people like this
What, for humans to work one gender must be naturally dominant?

:-X

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

bamccaig said:

It's natural to recognize patterns and predict outcomes from past experiences.

What past experiences? :P:o

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Speaking of this, there's a new humble bundle. Buy 5 great games you wouldn't otherwise buy and SAVE BIG!

1   2 

Go to: