Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Being 'Born-Again' Linked to More Brain Atrophy: Study

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Being 'Born-Again' Linked to More Brain Atrophy: Study
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

My parents claimed they believed in god, although you'd never know it from their actions. Dad took me to sunday school most Sundays, partly because it's what was done, partly because he'd go to his buddies house and drink enough I'd have to drive home sitting on a pillow to see over the dash.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Stas B. said:

But what's the point of a discussion involving a bunch of people plugging their ears and shouting out their opinions?

;D Discussion? We post our opinions, we don't discuss anything around here. You have been here four years and still haven't figured that out?! ;D :P

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

My parents claimed they believed in god, although you'd never know it from their actions.

My situation was the same growing up, but primarily just my mother. Even today if I ask her if she believes in God, she takes the cigarette out of her mouth, looks away from the television for a moment, says yes, then looks back and starts puffing away. She's doing God's work.

After reading a bunch more of this god awful thread, I think I can summarize the whole thing in one image:

{"name":"that-word-inigo-montoya-word-think-.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7ec9cc417dbd3959a22f72dd0dfc6030.jpg","w":331,"h":333,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7ec9cc417dbd3959a22f72dd0dfc6030"}that-word-inigo-montoya-word-think-.jpg

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

I just tried this experiment again just now

Heh, I tried it too. Not to get the most common opinion, but rather to see in which opinion Google has clustered me.
{"name":"606138","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/99281a29e28975b7ddde9a83495988c4.png","w":575,"h":330,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/99281a29e28975b7ddde9a83495988c4"}606138

Discussion? We post our opinions, we don't discuss anything around here.

True. This made me wonder whether trying to edit a Wiki page with each other would yield better results. But then again, what would be the topic? The stupidity of Christianity? Rational reasoning? :P

Yes it sounds more authoritative to invoke some cute phrase every few sentences, but it doesn't actually make an argument any more impressive.

QFT. Well, actually it's an opinion I like.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

And this opinion is so important, it's posted twice!

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Oh my GOD! Double posting! WOOOOOW! This is so incredible! two post of the same person! WTF is happening!

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Your posts will look silly when ML actually removes the double-post. Quick, get some opinions in there! >:(

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The only reason I'm not in this fight is because I have been stressed out with a project at j0rb and can't find the time to catch up. I'm probably not even half way and it keeps growing. >:(

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I'm really not sure who's arguing for what anymore... so I'll stop for now :P. I'm glad I don't have to argue about this everyday, that's for sure.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

SiegeLord said:

I'm really not sure who's arguing for what anymore... so I'll stop for now

What do you mean by 'Stop'? You're posting in this thread, so doesn't that mean you're continuing your argument? I don't think Stop means the same to me as it does to you.

;)

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Just stop it.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Fushta!

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

Hi everybody!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Amusingly, a professional colleague was mentioning a book to me just recently called "You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself". Naturally, I immediately thought of this thread. :) Maybe we actually are all delusional (except Stas B., natch).

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Naturally, I immediately thought of this thread. :)

Thats good, your brain cells are functioning properly.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Naturally, I immediately thought of this thread. :)

Of course, can't let one of the dumbest and most active threads on the forum go silent ;).

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

relay01 ressed it, not me. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

That was his first post in about a year :-X

relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

I've intermittently lurked around this forum for a while (Oh allegro... I can't quit you... :-* ) and this thread reminded me of some of the threads I often took part in. I'm amazed to see 23yrold3yrold still trying to defend the born-agains from being assumed as ignorant. Part of why I stopped posting and rarely visiting was because of threads like these. :-/

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

relay01 said:

Part of why I stopped posting and rarely visiting was because of threads like these. :-/

Really? I've been here for a long time and I remember a few, but not enough to make me leave over it :-/.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

So I guess I'm not religious ...

Please tell me you're not one of those people who "have a personal relationship with God" but "are not religious"?

Either way, invest in a better dictionary.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Evert said:

Please tell me you're not one of those people who "have a personal relationship with God" but "are not religious"?

Either way, invest in a better dictionary.

I'm going by the definition you gave me. Nothing more, nothing less. If I fit your definition of religious then I'm religious to you, if I don't, then I'm not. You tell me. Or don't. Whatever.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Interesting experiment... :)

{"name":"606217","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/d\/1da2a9bef1b5681e769e206a94af83d9.jpg","w":383,"h":224,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/d\/1da2a9bef1b5681e769e206a94af83d9"}606217

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Think of who's asking. I was playing an abandonware game "Street Rod" last night and was once again struck by the actors cruising by, afraid to race you, calling you a "loser" and a "nerd", as if you were beneath them instead of ready to snap up their car with a bet on pink slips.

Go to: