Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Can gameplay be copyrighted?

Credits go to AMCerasoli, Arthur Kalliokoski, Mark Oates, Matthew Leverton, MiquelFire, Specter Phoenix, and verthex for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Can gameplay be copyrighted?
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

So I submitted the Allegro 5 demo game, a5teroids, to the Mac App Store (as a free game), and the game was rejected. The following line from the notice is important:

Quote:

The app contains copyrighted materials, namely gameplay like the game Astroids, that may infringe on rights owned by Atari.

I was under the impression that gameplay couldn't be copyrighted. Am I wrong? If that's the case then every game from the past 20 years is infringing on some other game... anybody know more about this?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I think gameplay falls under "ideas", which can't be copyrighted. In other words, the guy who decided that is an asshat.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Certain aspects can be, like the title, the graphics, the level design, etc.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Assuming I were to change the title, what would remain that infringes on Atari copyrights? The graphics aren't the same... level design, well, what can I do about that? There really isn't really much to the level design. Mine has a moon and there's doesn't IIRC.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I looked and there are asteroids clones on the App Store, although they are more advanced. Changing the name is definitely going to be required.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I don't think level design can be copyrighted. I can't remember the game but there was a espionage spoof type game where it used the Tanker level from Metal Gear Solid 2 in a level but gave it different textures. As far as I know they didn't get any flack from Konami (who had the MGS license at the time because it was before Kojima Productions was created).

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

That or Konami didn't know about the game.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Wow, I wonder if they have some kind of "automated" system to detect similarities in the title or game description.

Your game title matches almost perfectly the name Asteroids, so I think that triggered the alarm.

Asteroids
A5teroids

Maybe other matches in the descriptions and you put your game on the spotlight. Just change the name and check out the description, and there will be no problem.............. Trust me... I have tons of games in the appstore ::);D

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

The other day I ran into this thread from a long time ago. It's basically the same question. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ok, well doing a little research and reading this, it seems that gameplay cannot be copyrighted, but you may nevertheless get #$(*@ed over royally by the original studio.

Anyway, we've decided to do something almost completely different with the game, and I already started coding it. It's better than Asteroids anyway...

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I wonder how did you get into a eight years old thread... ;D

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I wonder how did you get into a eight years old thread... ;D

Good question. I was actually wondering what Richard Phipps was up to since we haven't seen him in a long time :'(. I thought that by perusing through old threads I could find something.

[edit] He was part of the crew that, from what I remember, wanted to make a more serious venture out of making games... so I was looking into that storyline to see what transpired for him.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

There's this wonderful new thing called Google...

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Hmmmm... Do you know who haven't been here for a while neither?... Roy... Neil Roy... Agent nº2,229.

Name: Neil Roy

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

There's this wonderful new thing called Google... [www.google.co.nz]

Not a lot going on there... a few inconsequential tweets and links to threads from 2006.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I didn't check. I just now tried advanced search to limit results to the past year and found a thread from 2007. RIP google. I'll miss you. Too bad DuckDuckGo is so limited.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I think the guy who rejected it didn't understand the word "gameplay" and he was actually referring to the level design of the game. BTW the game itself is very simple so not making something like asteroids is very hard to do. It would be like remaking chess. Copyrighting that is impossible but its probably because your game is a clone of it and usually copyrights only protect ideas in the context of what they are in not something that goes beyond the original idea. I could copyright a circle for 30 dollars and get a piece of paper showing the US copyright office has approved my submission (No kidding). But is that idea original... no and as soon as I tried to sue people for using a circle I would lose to every book publisher on geometry and even Euclid would roll in his grave.

Now if you're SNK you can do this
Guerilla war:

video

Iron tank:

video

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Cookies >:(

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

wow i would have flagged Guerilla war as copyright infringement the game play and level is identical to a 2 player game from Nintendo days.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Nobody has mentioned patents...?[1] Copyright only covers things like specific combinations of words, and specific images and things. Trademarks cover names of things and branding, so you can't pass off a fake as a legit piece (legally). Patents are supposed to be about inventions, but software patents exist, so in theory the game of Asteroids could have been "patented". It's possible the n00b assigned to review your game just got his terminology wrong, but more than likely the people reviewing apps for Apple just don't know what they're talking about and took a guess, siding against the app. :P Check Wikipedia for an introduction to the differences between and scopes of copyright, trademark, and patent law; then consult a lawyer if you care to.

References

1. Intoxicated and too lazy to re-read the thread, but /search says no.
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Strangely Apple has approved the game on iOS. I guess due to the tilt based controls, they feel it's different enough that it doesn't infringe on Atari copyrights. Either that or the reviewer had a different opinion. It was in review for a long time, so I think it might have been discussed but that's just a guess.

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

Apple will approve anything.

I think you'll be fine, but changing the name is a must. Atari will go after anything with even a passing resemblance to Asteroids.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Schyfis said:

Atari will go after anything with even a passing resemblance to Asteroids.

Welp, I guess they'll have to make Pluto a planet again.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I just got a copyright infringement notice from scribd for Randal Hydes art of assembler. I did it to exchange for another file.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Then scientists should have the grounds to sue Atari as they were using the term asteroids way before Atari made the game.

1   2 

Go to: