This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Why is Java so huge
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

But it may also be an indication of relative intelligence.

Yes, it is mostly an indication of how many n00bs are asking questions. But that is probably highly correlated with the total number of users.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

OT: every time I read the thread title I think of this clip from Invader Zim:

video

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

7K JSF tags

More like 8.5K if you include jsf-2.0, although it's still in the ballpark. But that's all beside the point because it's just a snapshot. Compare the node.js tag, for example, and you'll see what I mean. Version 2 of the JSF spec is quite new and has been steadily gaining in popularity.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Steve++ said:

So they're definitely out there and likely number in the tens of thousands. And that's despite the face that you can barely find a job listing anywhere for JSF 2.

What about Erlang?

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

Erwhat?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I know a bloke called Erland.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Quote:

Erwhat?

Its a programming language very much unheard of in the real world. I've yet to find one job listing for someone with skills to use Erlang. And believe me I've gone to interviews for systems that use COBOL.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

verthex said:

Its a programming language very much unheard of in the real world. I've yet to find one job listing for someone with skills to use /x/

That description would fit many many different languages, wouldn't it?

-----------

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

That description would fit many many different languages, wouldn't it?

True but its in context to Java.

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

When Java arrived on the scene, C++ was in its heyday. C++ is a complex language with multiple implementations and no standards for class formats. All but the hardest of hardcore template metaprogrammers use only a subset of the language they feel safe with. The standard libraries (STL and the C standard library) are fairly sparse in the functionality they offer, leaving programmers in an ecosystem with multiple third-party options to perform the most basic tasks such as building a basic desktop UI.

Then Java came along. It offered a simple, compact language, a managed platform instead a loaded gun pointing at your foot, binary compatibility between multiple platforms and implementations of networking standards such as TCP/IP and HTTP, just to name a few of the features. Sure, there were the performance drawbacks of bytecode interpretation and unpredictability of garbage collection, so C++ always had its place, but that's been shrinking to a narrow niche for a long time because very few applications need that kind of performance. And Java's performance has improved considerably over the last 16 or so years.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Steve++ said:

a loaded gun pointing at your foot

Java

You write a program to shoot yourself in the foot and put it on the Internet. People all over the world shoot themselves in the foot, and everyone leaves your website hobbling and cursing.
You amputate your foot at the ankle with a fourteen-pound hacksaw, but you can do it on any platform.
http://www.toodarkpark.org/computers/humor/shoot-self-in-foot.html

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Quote:

• Perl

• You separate the bullet from the gun with a hyperoptimized regexp, and then you transport it to your foot using several typeglobs. However, the program fails to run and you can't correct it since you don't understand what the hell it is you've written.

• You stab yourself in the foot repeatedly with an incredibly large and very heavy Swiss Army knife.

• You shoot yourself in the foot and then decide it was so much fun that you invent another six completely different ways to do it.

• There are so many ways to shoot yourself in the foot that you post a query to comp.lang.perl.misc to determine the optimal approach. After sifting through 500 replies (which you accomplish with a short Perl script), not to mention the cross-posts to the perl5-porters mailing list for which you upgraded your first sifter into a package, which of course you uploaded to CPAN for others who might have a similar problem (which, of course, is the problem of sorting out e-mail and news, not the problem of shooting yourself in the foot), you set to the task of simply and elegantly shooting yourself in the foot, until you discover that, while it works fine in most cases, NT, VMS, and various flavors of Linux, AIX, and Irix all let you shoot you in the foot sooner than your Perl script could.

8-)

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Steve++ said:

All but the hardest of hardcore template metaprogrammers use only a subset of the language they feel safe with.

Java/C++ is like a coffin. The more you code with it the more you stay there.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I've never tried coding with a coffin, so that's interesting information.

-----------

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I've never tried coding with a coffin, so that's interesting information.

You could replace the word coffin with quicksand.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I've never tried coding with a quicksand, so that's interesting information.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Can't answer this as I've not messed with it outside the Hello World app.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I tried Hello World with a quicksand, but it looked more like Goodbye World until somebody pulled me out.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Output of helloworld.c with a quicksand:

#SelectExpand
1H 2^^E^^^^^ 3^^^^^^^^^ 4^^L^^^^^^ 5~~~~~~~~~ 6~~~~~~~~~ 7~~~L~~~~~ 8~~~~~~~~~ 9~~~~~~~~~ 10-----O--- 11----- --- 12-----W--- 13-----O--- 14-----R--- 15.....L.... 16.....D.... 17.....!....

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I prefer a coffin.

Go to: