Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » So, I got this email

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
So, I got this email
Shravan
Member #10,724
February 2009

{"name":"605216","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a895c0019510aff98d310112711c4d8d.png","w":479,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a895c0019510aff98d310112711c4d8d"}605216

What do you people say ?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

If it were a real MS email, instead of "if you are a Microsoft Windows user" they would have said "If we cannot verify you have All Genuine Microsoft Products, we will hunt you down like a dog and sue you until your bank account smokes".

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"double-facepalm.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/2\/42303bfbd943c421c914608f9fde02d0.jpg","w":557,"h":367,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/2\/42303bfbd943c421c914608f9fde02d0"}double-facepalm.jpg

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Who teaches English in India? They use beautifully exaggerated translations like "repent."

Or as a GA, I heard this way too many times: "I have a doubt" in place of the more appropriate "I have a question."

Shravan
Member #10,724
February 2009

Who teaches English in India?

An Indian.
BTW how are sure that this email originated from India.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Shravan said:

BTW how are sure that this email originated from India.

It's obviously not written by a native English speaker.

In my experience, Indians (at least the ones in the tech field) tend to speak and write a distinct mix of formal and exaggerated English with mostly good, but slightly complex grammar using British spelling.

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

If you are a Windows user, they probably can do this anyway...why need to tell you and pay you...suckers! ::)

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Its a ponzi scheme. That one is a chain letter.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Do you have any idea what a ponzi scheme is?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It does not describe a Ponzi scheme. :P

It is simply a describing a pyramid scheme. (Or a MLM, but they are basically the same thing.)

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Thats what a ponzi scheme is Matthew. Thats what the chain letter does except the pyramid scheme may have multiple "downlines" instead of a single downline in a ponzi scheme. Think of a pyramid scheme as a nuclear chain reaction where three neutrons are produced for each atom split. Those 3 new neutrons then create 9 new neutrons and so forth. I'm sure you've seen Amway.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You are completely wrong, like usual. Double check at which page your encyclopedia is open.

A Ponzi scheme is specifically about an investment. You invest money into my bogus company. I pay you interest by giving you part of the money from future investors. This email chain letter has nothing to do with any of that.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

A Ponzi scheme is specifically about an investment. You invest money into my bogus company. I pay you interest by giving you part of the money from future investors. The email chain letter has nothing to do with any of that.

Yeah but each investor has to find another investor and subsequently theres a chain of people.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors

It did NOT ask anyone to invest any money. It said it would ask them for their address in two weeks time after they spammed that crap out to the rest of their address book thinking they would get butt loads of money from Microsoft.

Step 1. Remove foot from mouth.
Step 2. Wash out mouth (your foot was in it :P).

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

With that horrendous design, images and colors... it's difficult/impossible to don't get it as a junk "letter". If MS send me someday an e-mail like that, I'll trow my entire PC (monitor included) from my window, and would start using Linux.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

verthex said:

Yeah but each investor has to find another investor and subsequently theres a chain of people.

It's not on the investor to find more people, it's on the person running the scam. Investors may tell people about the investment because they think it's great, but that is not an intrinsic part of a Ponzi scheme.

But even if a pyramid were part of a Ponzi scheme, your logic would go like this:

1. Egypt has pyramids.

2. That letter has pyramids.

3. That letter is Egyptian.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

The investment comes from microsoft but that email still creates a chain of fucking people. It becomes a tree no matter how you look at it.

Matthew I worked in mlms in my early 20's I know this stuff better than you could code.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

verthex said:

It becomes a tree no matter how you look at it.

Every time you post, I laugh, and I tell five people, and they laugh, and they each tell five people.

I can only conclude that you are a Ponzi scheme because of the chain of (illegible) people. :D

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I can only conclude that you are a Ponzi scheme because of the chain of (illegible) people. :D

You know probably 10 people matthew. I know hundreds.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

This could go on for a while, but I got myself a quote... so I'm content. 8-)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

verthex said:

The investment comes from microsoft but that email still creates a chain of ing people.

Again,

wikipedia said:

A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors

So Microsoft is going to ask people to pay back the investments they are supposedly making by paying you to spam people?

1. Microsoft didn't send this.
2. They're not going to pay anyone. Hence no investment is being made.
3. The people wouldn't pay Microsoft back, so Microsoft would not be making any returns on their 'investment' in any way.
4. This would have to be the most backwards ponzi scheme there is. A ponzi scheme is where people are looking to get you to invest in their fraudulent operation, not where they invest in you hoping you will defraud someone else to give them a return.
5. ???

1   2   3 

Go to: