Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » ChristmasHack this year?

Credits go to Arthur Kalliokoski, BAF, Dario ff, Desmond Taylor, Edgar Reynaldo, Elias, GullRaDriel, Johan Halmén, l j, m c, Mark Oates, Matthew Leverton, MiquelFire, OICW, Specter Phoenix, and Thomas Fjellstrom for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
ChristmasHack this year?
SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Anyone know if it will be held this year? I know it wasn't last year, and we sort of discovered that at the last moment, precluding any sort of resolution. I don't think it was concluded that it was gone for good either, so I'm just checking if anyone knows what (if anything) will happen this year.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Probably depends wheter Jakub Wasilevski is around and has time to organize it. Or anyone willing to take over.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Seems a lot of the competition haven't been held for a year or so. Guess everyone has been busy and let them go. I only attempted one back in like 2005 but never made anything for it. Don't know if anyone has the time to organize it again.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I could always organize one if Jakub isn't around.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

How about a TINC? To go with TINS.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I'm thinking SantaHack. :P

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Don't hack up Santa! Just use a gun instead. Easier to clean up after.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Don't know. Looking back at the previous ChristmasHacks I only see about 20 or so participants per year and not sure how many ever actually finished to submit anything for it each year. I Know I participated in 2005 but never finished anything to submit it. That is my mo, I join competitions left and right but have never done anything for them. Only guarantee is that if you have one I might join it but doubt I would submit anything. I think we should try to get one started again though. I'm torn on the topic though.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Count me in. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I've attended 05, 06 and 07 and submited an entry for all three. Not quite finished by my standards, but all three were playable. Unfortunatelly I don't have time this year. Instead of hacking together a gift for somebody around here I'll be hacking a school software project :-/

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I plan to have a site for this up by this weekend. We'll follow similar rules as in the past. That leaves a week for registration and voting, and a week for the competition itself.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Don't know if I'll continue my pattern of joining and doing nothing. This time I may just avoid it and still do nothing. I've joined too many compos and got ideas I wanted to make and ultimately had to just write them down as I watched the deadlines come and go. I sincerely wish everyone else that partakes in it the best of luck in it.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I plan to join just to get drunk all week ;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I'll say that I'm in but... I have loads of stuff going on right now up until Christmas Eve so It will be like two hours at night everyday to work on it.

However, I'm sure if the rules play out with an easy outcome then it can be done :P

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

If ever it starts, count me in.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I have to wait and see how my time fits with it. It would be 1 week before xmas right? 17th/18th? If I have the time I might join, although I don't want to go as hardcore as I did in '09, that drained me out too much. :-X

EDIT: Bleh, god damn hell, I got 2 finals on the start of that week.:-/

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

17th/18th, so the weekend after the coming one. That's also when LudumDare is. I think it could be fun making a game for both competitions - spend the weekend making an LD48 entry (they don't restrict what you can make usually so would be no problem making the xmas hack game there). Then after the 48 hours there'd still be some evenings to fix some things for which there was no time in 48 hours. So yeah, double excuse to take the time off, LD48 and xmas hack - I guess I would be in :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Yeah I signed up for the LudumDare compo back in like August or September (theme was escape), never did anything for it. Signed up for the 64 Digits Four Digits Halloween compo and had a great idea for it, but again never did anything for it. My curse is that I just don't believe in my abilities so I join thinking I'll do something, then ultimately just let the project and deadline go by. Now both game ideas I have I just jotted down and left in a notebook with my other ideas I have never made. <sarcasm> I don't see a trend there at all.</sarcasm>

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

My curse is that I just don't believe in my abilities

Or perhaps your blessing is that you understand your limitations. :P

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Spreading around negativity of not doing anything isn't gonna encourage more people to try. :P Last xmashack had way fewer people than before, but I did see a lot of entries at speedhack at least.

I'll join but my time will be limited by 3 days at the start I think. After the day I'm done with my exam I can get into coding spree... I'll have the 3 days before to think of a game idea with the rules I get. ;) Plenty of code from Speedhack to reuse as well.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I guess I'm going to run my own shadow-Christmashack. I'd dig up all my unfinished CH entries from past years, finish them and send them to the right recipients.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

I'll give it a go.

I think I tried once before, but I had to move apartments half-way through.

IIRC it was called red sleigh down and was going to be a side-scrolling arcade shoot em up.

The only thing is that I don't have much time now because I am looking for an apartment to move into again! Funny that huh?

Count me in anyway though.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Count me in. Though don't expect much if anything from me.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eeyore said:

Count me in. Though don't expect much if anything from me.

{"name":"eeyore61_5881.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/b\/fb9c0b20ad5e452381c41e1df8161cfd.jpg","w":344,"h":350,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/b\/fb9c0b20ad5e452381c41e1df8161cfd"}eeyore61_5881.jpg

I'm free that week, I'll take a stab at it. I managed to make a missile defense prototype in 22 hrs, so maybe I can whip something up for CH too.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

No, I'm not Eeyore or depressed. I've just come to know that the ideas I come up with are out of my area of knowledge. For example, back in August for Ludum Dare when they announced the theme was Escape I had an idea for that instantly but didn't think I could actually make it. Then for the 64digits 4digit Scary Halloween compo I got a great idea for a platformer and again started telling myself it was out of my abilities range so I never made them. I'm sure the same thing will happen with this compo. I get ideas quickly for them but then doubt that I can do them so I never do end up making them.

1   2 

Go to: