Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Allegro 4.4 OSX Lion

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 4.4 OSX Lion
Tquila
Member #13,741
November 2011

I've been trying to get Allegro to work with xCode 4. I know the 4.x version is limited compared to 5.0, but my group on university only have 5 weeks to make a game, and unfortunately there's very limited 5.0 help out there.

so, with that cleared, I'm trying to get this to work. I like xCode and I dont want to install Win7 and MSV10 really. My issue so far has been when I try to make the build, I get to 27% and it say:

Quote:

[ 27%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/src/macosx/quartz.m.o
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m: In function ‘osx_qz_write_line’:
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:62: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘QDDone’
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:63: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘LockPortBits’
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m: In function ‘osx_qz_unwrite_line’:
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:80: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘UnlockPortBits’
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m: In function ‘_make_quickdraw_bitmap’:
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:137: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘SetRect’
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:138: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘NewGWorld’
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:142: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘GetPixBaseAddr’
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:142: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘GetPortPixMap’
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:142: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:143: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘GetPixRowBytes’
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:146: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘DisposeGWorld’
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m: In function ‘osx_qz_create_video_bitmap’:
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:200: error: ‘useDistantHdwrMem’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:200: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:200: error: for each function it appears in.)
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m: In function ‘osx_qz_create_system_bitmap’:
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:210: error: ‘useLocalHdwrMem’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m: In function ‘osx_qz_blit_to_self’:
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:251: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘CopyBits’
/Users/username/allegro-4.4/src/macosx/quartz.m:251: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘GetPortBitMapForCopyBits’
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/src/macosx/quartz.m.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I downloaded the 4.4 from the SVN rep.

This Allegro has been a rather tedius install on mac compared to MSV10 :/

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

My understanding is that Apple finally removed the deprecated API that Allegro 4 uses in OS X Lion (it already didn't work in 64 bit mode in earlier versions).
That means there is no way to make it work unless you're willing to invest the time to make a new Cocoa-based backend for Allegro, which will very likely take you more than the 5 weeks you have. So you know, people have looked into it and decided that it was easier to port their program to Allegro 5 instead.

Your best bet is to use Allegro 5 (or something else entirely, but of course I'll recommend Allegro) and ask for pointers here.

Tquila
Member #13,741
November 2011

Ah bugger. I was all for Allegro5, and in fact I voted for it and actually managed convince my group that it was better (and I/they still believe so). However, my fellow study mates has plenty issues installing it and getting it to work, not to mention that they fancied the ekstra tutorials around (albeit imo the reference is enough) and in the end I got voted down.

So unfortunately I don't think I can convince them to go Allegro5 :/

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Tquila said:

plenty issues installing it and getting it to work,

Such as...?

Quote:

not to mention that they fancied the ekstra tutorials around

Again, you can always ask here.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

When will the A4-running-on-A5 be ready? It would be a solution as well :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Some time after someone finds the time to work on it? ;)

Yes, that would be the ideal solution.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I guess a good starting point would be taking all the A4 examples and the current a4_aux.c/.h and add a simple build system linking against A5. Then put it all somewhere. Maybe github.

Then everyone who wants to could add small improvements and send pull requests. At some point the first example would compile. Then more and more of them could be fixed. In the end including a4_aux.c/a4_aux.h to any A4 project and linking against the A5 libraries would be enough to rebuild.

On the other hand it would be pointless if I start working on that since I dislike the A4 API so much, after just working on the first example for 5 minutes I'd again come to the conclusion that converting any A4 code to A5 is a better idea :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Go to: