Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » skyrim

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
skyrim
Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Oh my, I've been reading the reviews and I'm wetting myself it looks that good (I'm a week or so from finishing Oblivion, so it's coming for Christmas).

But I don't know whether to buy PC or XBox ???

I guess I'd better check what it'll look like (W7 64, Intel i5 2500, 8GB Ram, NVidia 450GTS), with the gfx being the bottleneck....

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

video

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I've been saving a few bucks per check just for this game for months, as I wanted the experience of buying a brand new game rather than picking up something from the bargain bin. However, I've got a project that is in crunch mode, so I wouldn't have time for it anyway. Hoping to get it soon though.

;D

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I got it on launch day, but only got around to playing it yesterday. It looks quite good so far. :)

In the opening "quest" there were some female soldiers that I had to kill and upon experimenting with searching their bodies for loot I discovered that taking their apparel actually ... removes it from them. Effectively, this woman was left in very modern looking (and rather sexy) bra and panties. :o Unfortunately, now I'm going to be tempted to slaughter every woman I encounter in the game so I can see what they're wearing underneath their armor. :-[ Well, unless there's another way that I haven't discovered yet. :-X

Personally, I went for PC because I hate playing any kind of first-person game with a controller. Sure, you can play in third-person, but that's not as immersive. I suspect that the graphics are probably quite a bit better on PC too (certainly than the 360 and probably a bit better than the PS3 too). It wasn't even up for debate for me. :) I have a Phenom II x6 @ 3.2 GHz and an HD6850 1GB, IIRC. The game auto-detected my hardware and choose high quality.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Oh my, I've been reading the reviews and I'm wetting myself it looks that good

It's the same maneuver they did with Oblivion/Fallout 3 reviews. :P

Oblivion: 10/10 GOTY

Skyrim: Remember all the things that were wrong with Oblivion? They're fixed in Skyrim. 10/10!

Ok, that's a bit of hyperbole, but you can see my point. The scoring is meaningless, as they seem to happily ignore all the flaws until the next game comes around.

I've yet to play it myself tho, but considering the pc version, I would give the article on gamasutra a read.

Skyrim, or How Not to Make a PC Game

EDIT: Bambam, go to skyrimnexus.com and search for the nudie mods I guess. :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I watched my brother playing it for about 10 minutes. It looked boring as hell. :P

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

It is very boring. The first 5-10 minutes or so the whole game is that you sit in a wagon and all you can do is look around. It's also not skippable. If I hadn't paid for it I'd have thrown the game away already.

After that it just continues to be ridiculously easy. About one or two hours in, I'm level 2 or 3, a dragon appears, I shoot some arrows into the air... the next moment it falls down dead. I don't think it would have been possible for me to die at all at any time.

Also the story awareness of the NPCs is done poorly. E.g. after that dragon fell down dead the townspeople made me a Thane and told me I'm a hero for killing a dragon - but they still refused to drop my bounty or reduce the price of buying a house :P And some quests are outright broken with quest-important people dieing, so now I'm never sure if I reloaded often enough when it happened or someone will be missing later :/

The only good things I can say is graphics and sound, I'm playing in Wine on lowest settings but it still looks really beautiful. Makes me want to keep playing on for a bit, even if just for walking around enjoying the landscape :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Visually it was very impressive, but it seems to have the same dead world of Oblivion and Morrowind, devoid of any real charm and mind numbingly sandboxy.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It was pretty linear in the beginning, but now that I've been released into the world it feels pretty open. That said, I did find my first interaction with a quest NPC to be rather clumsy. For one thing, the dialog prompts forced me to talk about the guy that I was supposed to meet there. Truth be told, I hadn't even seen him yet and didn't know that he was there. Apparently he was behind me. Also, it continued to prompt me even when there was only one option... It could certainly be better, but I think it will be enough to power my imagination.

I've never played any other games in the series. In fact, I don't think I've even played a game by Bethesda before. I so far view the game as something like a first-person Final Fantasy, which I personally think is awesome. That's what SquareEnix should be doing instead of what they did with FFXIII (I still haven't really played that game; I enjoy the FMV sequences, but everything else about it sucks...). >:(

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I haven't played it. Pros: it looks damn good. Cons: never been a fan of 1st person RPGs, and Morrowind killed all curiosity I had about Elder Scrolls.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

A friend yesterday asked me what Skyrim is. I died a little inside.

Anyway, should I play through Oblivion first, or is it ok to just jump straight to Skyrim?

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I'm just playing through Gothic 3, some things were improved, some dumbed down. Overall first installment was the best. Anyway, graphics of Skyrim looks good, but that's all. If the game system was copied verbatim from Oblivion, it's a big no no for me. Oh, one more thing - the procedural terrain in TES.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I don't even know what Skyrim is. The first three letters are the same as in Skype, but I doubt that means anything.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I plan to get it. Though I do get a kick out of Bethesda trying to get a copyright infringement on Mojang for Scrolls. I loved the article that revealed the reason for the lawsuit. Scrolls and Elder Scrolls have mountains so Mojang is committing copyright infringement. Glad Mojang won, but doesn't change my mind I still plan to get TESV.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

It seems like the buggiest games get the most sales. Everyone bought Mindcraft. Everyone bought Oblivion. Now everyone's gonna buy Skyrim, in the series that has a history for loads of bugs (and I hear that Skyrim is no exception).

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I don't even know what Skyrim is

The next level after joining the mile high club.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

You can buy a Bethesda game when it releases and get some of it, or you can wait a year and get the entire game when the inevitable GOTY edition arrives. Hmmm....

But seriously, Bethesda makes incredibly bland games. New Vegas, rough around the edges though it certainly was, had more raw creativity, inspiration, and heart to it than Fallout 3. That's what you get when you let Obsidian take a crack at things.

Also, bugs.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

It seems like the buggiest games get the most sales. Everyone bought Mindcraft. Everyone bought Oblivion. Now everyone's gonna buy Skyrim, in the series that has a history for loads of bugs (and I hear that Skyrim is no exception).

{"name":"IMEDH.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/1\/91f3c988a89f95b62b703b7eef89425e.jpg","w":1920,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/1\/91f3c988a89f95b62b703b7eef89425e"}IMEDH.jpg
:P

(It's at the top of a mountain and has a blacksmithing enchantment)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Sirocco said:

But seriously, Bethesda makes incredibly bland games. New Vegas, rough around the edges though it certainly was, had more raw creativity, inspiration, and heart to it than Fallout 3. That's what you get when you let Obsidian take a crack at things.

It was bitter sweet to let Obsidian do it to be honest. Obsidian is made up of most of the original team that made the first Fallout game. Some of the FO3 bugs I liked was the random kill freak out that happened once in a while.

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

I'm really enjoying Skyrim. First Elder Scrolls game I've ever played, but I really liked Fallout 3 and New Vegas (and FO 1 and 2 :P). I haven't yet encountered any bugs after about 24 hours of playing, so I would say that's a pretty big improvement over past efforts.

I think my only problem with the game is that the quests seem pretty linear and one dimensional. I think having an alignment system or at least reputations with factions would make the game feel less flat. The game itself is fun, though. I love sniping stuff with bows.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

with the gfx being the bottleneck....

A) You can overclock it, I've that same thing with stock cooler with Core Clock being 920Mhz, Shader Clock 1840 & Memory at 2120.

B) AFAIK the GPU is still by far "faster" than any console out there. Perhaps with exception of something really new I'm not aware about.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I really loved FO3 and bought new vegas but stopped after an hour for some reason that I can't remember.

I think after FO3 I was happy you know, it was complete. A bit like adding another add-on/adventure for Red Dead Redemption would be pointless (though i did enjoy undead but that was a completely new game). Maybe I should get myself Anchor and the other dlc to finish FO3 to the natural conclusion...

Neil.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Yeah, I've not played many of Bethesda's games, but want to get more of them. God, this next line I tried to figure a way to say it without coming out bad, but I don't know if there is a way so.... I wanted to get Wet when it came out and still plan to get it. I own the entire Fallout series on PC (Fallout Trilogy, Fallout 3, New Vegas) and trying to get the TES sceries.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I wanted to get Wet when it came out

Whatever turns you on. :-X

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.