Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Steve Jobs 1955-2011

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Steve Jobs 1955-2011
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The Power PC chip languished after Motorola stopped making them, leaving IBM with no competition to improve.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I just got the highest end mac mini (for free)...

Where can one sign up for a free Core i7 mac mini?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Why not reformat your old mac mini and use it as a media server with boxee or something?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Sad news, RIP Steve Jobs.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Not too early for cartoons either: Eternal Flame

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Where can one sign up for a free Core i7 mac mini?

It was given to me by the people I work with, along with an iPad to do some app development sometime in the future.

torhu said:

Not too early for cartoons either: Eternal Flame [xkcd.com]

Hopefully somebody posts that xkcd cartoon again.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Don't you know that to properly honor Mr. Jobs it has to be posted by seven different people? >:(

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

There are lots of shops where you can buy a laptop without Windows. I prefer these. (I use Debian or Ubuntu.)

Really? I haven't found any last time I checked. There used to be a brand that sold OS-free notebooks, called xxodd; they went bankrupt about a year ago IIRC. Dell used to sell notebooks with Ubuntu preinstalled, but they advertised them for a short while only, hiding them pretty quickly; at some point it would be cheaper to buy the same machine with windows than without, and I think by now they've completely stopped selling them. The only way that you could get a notebook without buying windows these days that I'm aware of is a barebone, but then you probably end up spending much more than you should. (My experience says that the best strategy for buying notebooks is to aim at the low end of the price spectrum, as long as you avoid acer and everything sub-notebook).

That said, I think I would actually enjoy having a salesperson watch me start up my brand new notebook and not agree with the windows license, and then demand a refund...

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You know the companies such as Norton stuffing the drive with shovelware are paying the computer manufacturer, right? This reduces the price of the computer to the consumer, offsetting the price of windows.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

^ This.

I couldn't care less about Steve Jobs. :-/ I don't think he really did anything overly special, and reading about his history he appears to have had just as many negative character traits as positive ones. He was just another guy; I imagine he just ended up taking credit for work that other people did, much like Bill Gates. ::)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It was given to me by the people I work with, along with an iPad to do some app development sometime in the future.

If they need to get rid of any more, I don't mind taking one off their hands ;)

I'd use it for the same thing if that helps any ;D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

bamccaig said:

I couldn't care less about Steve Jobs. I don't think he really did anything overly special

And people will say the same, or worse, about you when you die. I know I will and already do. ::)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

If you don't go to his funeral, he won't go to yours. >:(

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Just because somebody dies they aren't suddenly a better person.

Some people are better dead. But not Steve Jobs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

bamccaig said:

I don't think he really did anything overly special

You shouldn't smoke deego when making post, ok Feller?. Now you gonna have to edit that. You better do it by', or take off you hoser!.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

There's no denying that Jobs was a genius. Either he was able to build new, exciting, and useful gadgets and computers... or he was able to convince a lot of people that he had.

I think he was both... a super genius. :o

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Yhea... Marketing with innovation...

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

He convinced other geniuses to implement his cutting edge ideas in hardware, such as the Woz.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

It's the way you hold the phone that causes to lose it's signal. Too bad the way you hold is too damn common though.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Had. To. Post.

{"name":"0Vv1j.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81bb88bfe725732df4e60a2975c38d18.jpg","w":600,"h":1148,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81bb88bfe725732df4e60a2975c38d18"}0Vv1j.jpg

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

After his last keynote with his wife.

{"name":"EgwmT.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/8\/e8b93629a3bcff12e962a5021a9bbcd7.jpg","w":470,"h":320,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/8\/e8b93629a3bcff12e962a5021a9bbcd7"}EgwmT.jpg

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Sad news, but hopefully Objective C will die now.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

[nil Why: @"Do you say that?"]

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Oh god, between your comment and gnolam's vid I'm going to have to go towel myself off now. Great stuff :)

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Go to: