Steve Jobs 1955-2011
blargmob
Arthur Kalliokoski

That's a shame. :'(

Quote:

At a 2005 commencement address at Stanford University, Jobs shared the philosophy that drove him.

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life,” Jobs said. “Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

piccolo

Dam pickles could not even run the company and let the man enjoy what little time he had left. died right on the iphone 4s release

23yrold3yrold

And the jokes are already coming.

"Steve Jobs is just like a Mac. Once a piece malfunctions, you have to replace the whole thing."

Anyway, yeah. That news kinda came out of left field; he was supposed to be stepping down as CEO ...

Matthew Leverton

I thought everybody realized he was about to die...

RIP... Sent from my iPad.

BAF

he was supposed to be stepping down as CEO

He did step down as CEO.

I was never a diehard fan of Apple or Jobs, but it is saddening to hear of his death.

Arthur Kalliokoski

I thought everybody realized he was about to die...

Leo Fender (yes, Fender Guitars) sold his company in '65 because the doctor he had told him he was about to die. He switched to a doctor who cured him with a few antibiotics.

Mark Oates

Wow! :(

I knew he wasn't doing well but I had no idea he was so close to death.

I did not expect that.

Trent Gamblin

I got my start in Indie games due to his company, and they're still the biggest part of my (small) business. But on a personal level, I admired him. Really sad and unexpected for me.

Steve Terry

RIP sent from my galaxy tab :P

torhu

Maybe Macs will become cheaper now. Then at least he didn't die for nothing,,,

Arthur Kalliokoski
torhu said:

Maybe Macs will become cheaper now. Then at least he didn't die for nothing,,,

Because the company will stagnate under the (lack of) leadership of suits.

Matthew Leverton

http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/608176/929144#target

Maybe I should have been more clear so you guys knew what to expect. :-/

jmasterx

RIP and Thank You Steve Jobs :)

Thanks for PCs, Mac OS, iOS, NextStep, Colorful computers, Pixar, iProducts, and everything else you were part of, you truly were an inspiration and it is sad that you are gone.

Arthur Kalliokoski

Maybe I should have been more clear so you guys knew what to expect. :-/

You're going to die too, harsh but true...

Jim Morrison said:

"Ain't none of us gonna make it out alive"

Trent Gamblin

Let's hope they don't become cheaper, because for what you get in a mid range mac without loading it with extras, you'd be very hard pressed to find something as solid and with parts anywhere near as good as in the mac. In most cases it's the top notch parts and configurations you can get in a mac that set it apart, and a lot of times they aren't even available in competing products until a year later if ever. Mac's are high end machines with suitable prices.

Matthew Leverton

$200 for a 4GB RAM upgrade is highway robbery.

blargmob

Mac's are high end machines with suitable prices.

{"name":"1095-chocolate-psshh.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/0\/80d52141d98738668fbef0b25c983682.jpg","w":311,"h":311,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/0\/80d52141d98738668fbef0b25c983682"}1095-chocolate-psshh.jpg

Now, let's not stray afar.

Trent Gamblin

You have no idea. You've probably never even owned a Mac.

jmasterx

I own a Mac and I can tell you every work that Trent says is true. Macs are high quality products.

Arthur Kalliokoski
jmasterx said:

I own a Mac and I can tell you every work that Trent says is true. Macs are high quality products.

My 5 year old homebuilt (~$400) suffered one bad stick of ram, and I probably went through 3 or 4 keyboards and mice each. My current $400 e-machine with $80 video card and $100 psu is 6 months old and no hardware problems have occurred yet.

A new (but almost obsolete, therefore high priced) 1Gb stick of ram for the old machine cost $50, and the keyboards and mice were mostly from my pile of spares, although they're pretty cheap to buy new.

AMCerasoli

Damn! :'( I'll miss that man. He was the combination of innovation and marketing, and the representation of "believe in yourself and make it happen" phrase.

Matthew Leverton

I mostly just hate OS X's window manager. I also am put off against the whole idea that to use OS X, you are expected to use an Apple monitor, an Apple mouse, an Apple keyboard, an Apple desk while wearing an Apple t-shirt while listening to Steve Jobs hum in your ear via your Apple earphones hooked into your Apple iPod.

And, oh, by the way, next year everything you use is obsolete and no longer backward compatible because the next great super port was engineered that is twice as small, twice as fast all while supporting the same number (0) of devices. >:(

But, yes, Apple products are well made these days. (Didn't use to be.)

Sirocco

People said great things about Richard Nixon after he died.

BAF

I own a MacBook Pro. Setting aside the issue that I had to exchange it for a new one four times to get one that didn't have a bad fan or screwed up screen (and then opened several more in store on the final time with the store manager, until they finally "brought me one from a new batch" that was acceptable), it's been high quality. Of course, it was also the most problematic machine I've ever owned as well, between the aluminum case starting to corrode (and subsequently having "$1600" in repairs done under warranty), battery swelling up like a balloon (to Apple's credit, they replaced the battery and it was over a year past warranty), etc.

Their desktop machine prices are hardly good prices though. Perhaps their high end machines are bleeding edge, but even the midrange machines are expensive. You can build a PC with the same specs for much less. But then again, most people will readily admit that. You don't buy an Apple because you want a bargain.

SiegeLord

I've personally seen Macbooks with cracked plastic in a few places after 2-3 years of use. My Acer laptop, aside from scratches here and there, is completely intact.

I also once tried to lift one of those Mac desktops... I almost wished I had a second person to help me with it.

And reading the disassemble guides at ifixit.com didn't leave me impressed with their internal components either.

The only thing I like about Mac laptops is their fan placement... and that's only a Mac thing because of patents most likely.

BAF

Don't forget, every Apple product has some poor abused Chinese slave's blood inside of it. It's what makes it magic.

Trent Gamblin

Well my macbook is my most beloved computer of all time, so if anyone says anything bad about Macs IT'S ON >:(. But really, it's been great. I can use it on my lap with no heat at all. It has a nice nvidia gfx chip. It's fast. I've done some upgrades of my own (RAM, HDD). Those upgrades are not recommenable to get from apple unless you are really incompetant when opening computers (it's actually very easy). I did have some problems with it. I use it 10-15 hours a day and the keyboard was very worn out, and the plastic along one side was chipped off a little. And the optical drive stopped accepting blank discs. Apple warranty is one of the best and they fixed it all up though. When I bought it it was simply going to be used to port my games, but it became my main computer.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Quote:

Don't forget, every Appleelectronic product has some poor abused Chinese slave's bloodperson-who's-making-more-than-in-the-rice-paddy inside of it. It's what makes it magic.

FTFY

vbovio

I'm with Trent on the topic, I was a long time PC user and programmer, now I use a Mac as my main computer and I develop for the Mac and iOS too. Also, thanks to Apple I could start my tiny indie games journey too.
Anyway, thanks and good bye Steve.

posted from my iPad

verthex

I've never owned an apple product. :'(

Evert
BAF said:

Their desktop machine prices are hardly good prices though. Perhaps their high end machines are bleeding edge, but even the midrange machines are expensive. You can build a PC with the same specs for much less. But then again, most people will readily admit that. You don't buy an Apple because you want a bargain.

If you mean the MacPro's, they're not desktop machines, they're workstations. The price on those doesn't actually look that bad if you compare it to other hardware. I'm actually tempted (for work), but I don't think I want to deal with the quirks of OS X on my workstation (laptop's ok) and it seems silly to get a MacPro with the intention of running Linux on it...
The MacMini's don't look too horribly priced to me, given what's in them. The iMac doesn't look bad either (well, it's still a lot of money of course), given that the price "includes" the nice huge display.
But no, you don't buy an Apple if you want a cheap computer.

I've done some upgrades of my own (RAM, HDD). Those upgrades are not recommenable to get from apple unless you are really incompetant when opening computers (it's actually very easy).

I had the RAM done for me at a service centre. They were an official dealer, but not a Mac store, and they replaced the RAM for a fraction of the official price.
I did the HDD myself though.

Oh yes. Jobs. Well, it was clear his health was going quickly, but nevertheless I was surprised at how quickly it went. Sometimes people can hang on for a very long time...

GullRaDriel

Bye bye Steve. That's all there is to say. :-/

Dennis

Just woke up and this was the first thread I saw.

Then I went on to read a few news articles about it and it's the usual stuff: lots of praise for the deceased

The difference to most other famous persons deaths seems to be: he also got the praise already while he was still alive

gnustc

I admire that man...

yes, he was the combination of innovation and marketing.

Elias

Since everyone is praising macs - my 2008 mac mini is unbearingly slow - basically couldn't run xcode3 at all and barely manages xcode4 now. So in a way it was a waste of money :/ For the 500€ i could have got a mid-range PC performing quite well in comparison.

And about Steve Jobs, I see nothing praise-worthy at all - all he seems to have cared about is making money (except the last 2 months maybe).

Neil Walker

^ I'm with Elias. Just because somebody dies they aren't suddenly a better person.

axilmar

Now the question in everybody's mind is if Apple will continue to create groundbreaking products or become another Oracle/IBM/Microsoft.

Mordredd

I really like the design of apple products, ie. the hardware part. If apple had a normal keyboard and wouldn't force me to buy MacOSX, which I installed on my laptop to try it out for some time (the apple EULA that forbids that does not have any legal matter here in Germany, expect if it were printed in whole on the packaging before buying the software), I'd buy a Mac for sure. From what I have read during a long time on Mac forums MacOSX seems to suffer from having compatibility issues with the simpliest things. Like 2 years ago I plugged my cheapo mobile phone into a Mac and it recognized it as an iPod (wtf?) and bloated my SD card with tons of metadata in every folder..

Nevertheless, RIP Steve Jobs.

Crazy Photon
jmasterx said:

RIP and Thank You Steve Jobs

^ This. RIP Steve!

Evert
Elias said:

And about Steve Jobs, I see nothing praise-worthy at all - all he seems to have cared about is making money (except the last 2 months maybe).

I don't know a thing about his personal life, apart from his health issues, so I wouldn't know whether his hobby was hoarding large piles of money and swimming in it or not. One quote in the news papers this morning said something like "being satisfied about a job well-done is more important than aiming to be the richest man in the graveyard," which I find to be a healthy way to look at life. Whether he actually lived by that statement or just made it because it looks good in print I don't know, but I also don't really care.

If apple had a normal keyboard and wouldn't force me to buy MacOSX, which I installed on my laptop to try it out for some time (the apple EULA that forbids that does not have any legal matter here in Germany, expect if it were printed in whole on the packaging before buying the software), I'd buy a Mac for sure.

Apple doesn't have a normal keyboard? Sure, it's got a command key in addition to a "control" and an "alt" key, but even PC keyboards have an extra key there these days (typically with a Windows logo on it).
As for Apple laptops coming with OS X, I don't see much of a complaint there as long as most (all?) other laptops come with Windows pre-installed (the difference being I run OS X fairly happily and would remove Windows first thing after unpacking the machine).

Quote:

From what I have read during a long time on Mac forums MacOSX seems to suffer from having compatibility issues with the simpliest things. Like 2 years ago I plugged my cheapo mobile phone into a Mac and it recognized it as an iPod (wtf?) and bloated my SD card with tons of metadata in every folder..

Are you sure it recognised it as an iPod? Because what you describe (dumping loads of metadata on the SD card) is just what it does to any external storage device. Which is annoying, but you can tell it not to do that. I mainly use the terminal even for file management and then you don't get as much fluff as when you use the GUI.

OICW

Personally I wouldn't want any of their products, because they are limited in peripherals, their phones don't have SD card slots etc. Sure it's ok, simple and usable for most of the people out there, but not for me.

On the other hand Jobs was able to convince masses to buy his products. And that's what counts. So give him some peace.

Mordredd
Evert said:

Apple doesn't have a normal keyboard? Sure, it's got a command key in addition to a "control" and an "alt" key, but even PC keyboards have an extra key there these days (typically with a Windows logo on it).

Well, it's not only that they have different key names, they have a slightly different keyboard layout. As for the Windows key, that's just what's printed on it. You can get keyboards with a penguin printed on that key (the "super" key). But it's always at the same position.

Quote:

As for Apple laptops coming with OS X, I don't see much of a complaint there as long as most (all?) other laptops come with Windows pre-installed (the difference being I run OS X fairly happily and would remove Windows first thing after unpacking the machine).

There are lots of shops where you can buy a laptop without Windows. I prefer these. (I use Debian or Ubuntu.)

Quote:

Are you sure it recognised it as an iPod? Because what you describe (dumping loads of metadata on the SD card) is just what it does to any external storage device. Which is annoying, but you can tell it not to do that. I mainly use the terminal even for file management and then you don't get as much fluff as when you use the GUI.

An icon popped up saying that an iPod was connected. If I am recalling correctly it offered to sync with iTunes? But I am not sure on that one. At least it was not recognized as the flashdrive it was and we couldn't read from it.

gnolam
Sirocco said:

People said great things about Richard Nixon after he died.

Yes, we all turn into top blokes after death.

[EDIT]

Evert said:

Apple doesn't have a normal keyboard?

They don't. Their Swedish keyboards at least have their own bizarre layout for special characters.

AMCerasoli

Hey I just want to make clear that I'm not praising macs. I have never said that I love Macs nor that I like how Apple works, actually I hate its super closed environment, I hate iTunes, and I hate the super prices of their products. But for all those reason I admire Steve J, he make it all happen.

I admire Steve J. and not his creations. I admire him more than Bill Gates. Because he ran against everything, against those people that always say "don't do it, it doesn't gonna work", "are you crazy 500$ a phone?", "a touch screen? why?, we could sell cheaper cellphones an make more".

He ran a company for a lot of years with a brutal competition, and he always kept the same marketing strategy, macs are always being very expensive, and even in crisis time they manage to sell more phone devices than other companies with hundreds of products.

He is a BIG brain with legs.

gnolam

And the jokes are already coming.

"Do not joke about Steve Jobs's death, it's not PC."

MiquelFire
gnolam said:

"Do not joke about Steve Jobs's death, it's not PC."

Ugh! That actually hurt.

Evert

Well, it's not only that they have different key names, they have a slightly different keyboard layout.

In what way?
Honest question. I don't remember any major differences from when I used an Apple keyboard, but the only one I've used extensively is the one on my laptop, which is different from a normal desktop one in about the same way as that on other (PC) laptops I've used.

Quote:

As for the Windows key, that's just what's printed on it. You can get keyboards with a penguin printed on that key (the "super" key). But it's always at the same position.

What I was referencing is actually that my desktop keyboard doesn't have a Windows key (it's 15 years old or so). I know you can replace the keycap on the key if you feel strongly enough about it.

Quote:

An icon popped up saying that an iPod was connected. If I am recalling correctly it offered to sync with iTunes? But I am not sure on that one. At least it was not recognized as the flashdrive it was and we couldn't read from it.

Oh, yes, I had forgotten that an iPod is not basically a flashdrive, as sanity says it should be. Very weird indeed.
Can't say I ever had a problem like that, but then again the strangest thing I tried to attach to my laptop is probably a printer (which isn't all that strange really).

gnolam said:

They don't. Their Swedish keyboards at least have their own bizarre layout for special characters.

Ok, fair enough. I should clarify that I've never used anything other than an "international" keyboard (not even a keyboard with Dutch layout, what's more, I know only one person who uses one of those).

Thomas Fjellstrom

XKCD today is rather apt.

I was going to embed it, but its an animated gif, and matthew seems to have disabled embedding on animated gifs.

Matthew Leverton
Elias said:

my 2008 mac mini is unbearingly slow

My PPC mac mini was ridiculous as well. Slowest computer I ever have used. Seems to have gotten much worse over the years. It's unusable now.

I just got the highest end mac mini (for free)... It's fast now (quad core i7), hopefully it doesn't suffer the same fate.

axilmar said:

Now the question in everybody's mind is if Apple will continue to create groundbreaking products or become another Oracle/IBM/Microsoft.

Given how pathetic they were before Steve Jobs came back, I suppose there's a good chance that their best days are over. Hopefully he left them with a ten year plan...

Arthur Kalliokoski

The Power PC chip languished after Motorola stopped making them, leaving IBM with no competition to improve.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I just got the highest end mac mini (for free)...

Where can one sign up for a free Core i7 mac mini?

Neil Walker

Why not reformat your old mac mini and use it as a media server with boxee or something?

Paul whoknows

Sad news, RIP Steve Jobs.

torhu

Not too early for cartoons either: Eternal Flame

Matthew Leverton

Where can one sign up for a free Core i7 mac mini?

It was given to me by the people I work with, along with an iPad to do some app development sometime in the future.

torhu said:

Not too early for cartoons either: Eternal Flame [xkcd.com]

Hopefully somebody posts that xkcd cartoon again.

torhu

Don't you know that to properly honor Mr. Jobs it has to be posted by seven different people? >:(

Tobias Dammers

There are lots of shops where you can buy a laptop without Windows. I prefer these. (I use Debian or Ubuntu.)

Really? I haven't found any last time I checked. There used to be a brand that sold OS-free notebooks, called xxodd; they went bankrupt about a year ago IIRC. Dell used to sell notebooks with Ubuntu preinstalled, but they advertised them for a short while only, hiding them pretty quickly; at some point it would be cheaper to buy the same machine with windows than without, and I think by now they've completely stopped selling them. The only way that you could get a notebook without buying windows these days that I'm aware of is a barebone, but then you probably end up spending much more than you should. (My experience says that the best strategy for buying notebooks is to aim at the low end of the price spectrum, as long as you avoid acer and everything sub-notebook).

That said, I think I would actually enjoy having a salesperson watch me start up my brand new notebook and not agree with the windows license, and then demand a refund...

Arthur Kalliokoski

You know the companies such as Norton stuffing the drive with shovelware are paying the computer manufacturer, right? This reduces the price of the computer to the consumer, offsetting the price of windows.

bamccaig

^ This.

I couldn't care less about Steve Jobs. :-/ I don't think he really did anything overly special, and reading about his history he appears to have had just as many negative character traits as positive ones. He was just another guy; I imagine he just ended up taking credit for work that other people did, much like Bill Gates. ::)

Thomas Fjellstrom

It was given to me by the people I work with, along with an iPad to do some app development sometime in the future.

If they need to get rid of any more, I don't mind taking one off their hands ;)

I'd use it for the same thing if that helps any ;D

Trent Gamblin
bamccaig said:

I couldn't care less about Steve Jobs. I don't think he really did anything overly special

And people will say the same, or worse, about you when you die. I know I will and already do. ::)

Arthur Kalliokoski

If you don't go to his funeral, he won't go to yours. >:(

Johan Halmén

Just because somebody dies they aren't suddenly a better person.

Some people are better dead. But not Steve Jobs.

AMCerasoli
bamccaig said:

I don't think he really did anything overly special

You shouldn't smoke deego when making post, ok Feller?. Now you gonna have to edit that. You better do it by', or take off you hoser!.

Matthew Leverton

There's no denying that Jobs was a genius. Either he was able to build new, exciting, and useful gadgets and computers... or he was able to convince a lot of people that he had.

I think he was both... a super genius. :o

AMCerasoli

Yhea... Marketing with innovation...

Arthur Kalliokoski

He convinced other geniuses to implement his cutting edge ideas in hardware, such as the Woz.

bamccaig

A cellular phone that loses its signal when you hold it up to your face! Genius!

MiquelFire

It's the way you hold the phone that causes to lose it's signal. Too bad the way you hold is too damn common though.

23yrold3yrold

Had. To. Post.

{"name":"0Vv1j.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81bb88bfe725732df4e60a2975c38d18.jpg","w":600,"h":1148,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81bb88bfe725732df4e60a2975c38d18"}0Vv1j.jpg

blargmob

After his last keynote with his wife.

{"name":"EgwmT.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/8\/e8b93629a3bcff12e962a5021a9bbcd7.jpg","w":470,"h":320,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/8\/e8b93629a3bcff12e962a5021a9bbcd7"}EgwmT.jpg

james_lohr

Sad news, but hopefully Objective C will die now.

Matthew Leverton

[nil Why: @"Do you say that?"]

Sirocco

Oh god, between your comment and gnolam's vid I'm going to have to go towel myself off now. Great stuff :)

Matthew Leverton

Has anybody other than me noticed that the iPad 2 makes for an excellent mouse pad when it's got one of those leather covers on? :o

van_houtte

this post was made using my hackintosh

Trent Gamblin

I'm writing a hammer tester app that uses the motion sensors to determine if you've got a good solid hammer or a cheap flimsy one.

Matthew Leverton

Has anybody made an app like that? You could get super rich by selling it! :o

Arthur Kalliokoski

I read a Beetle Bailey strip back in the '80's (when the $600 hammer debacle procured by the military was occurring). Beetle asks Sarge the difference between the local hardware store hammer for $7 and the $600 military hammer. Sarge gently taps in a nail with the civilian hammer, saying "This cheap hammer takes all day", and then drives a nail in with one mighty blow while using the other hammer, saying "This good hammer is fast!". Beetle walks away satisfied while Sarge wipes his face with a hanky.

I have seen an article for an app that measures spinal curvature by running an iphone along the spine while accessing the accelerometers.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I have an android app that attempts to measure your heart-rate/pulse. It seems to be reasonably accurate. Have to be careful how you hold the device though, or it might double the count.

Johan Halmén

{"name":"312811_10150340210013608_180256858607_7903536_2113424720_n.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/f\/bf63280d0abf9b7979c312c9763de99f.jpg","w":960,"h":816,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/f\/bf63280d0abf9b7979c312c9763de99f"}312811_10150340210013608_180256858607_7903536_2113424720_n.jpg

bamccaig

I have an android app that attempts to measure your heart-rate/pulse. It seems to be reasonably accurate. Have to be careful how you hold the device though, or it might double the count.

How does it measure it? Are you sure it isn't just faking it? Did you try stressing yourself to watch it climb, and then sitting in a freezer to watch it drop? :P

Trent Gamblin

Has anybody made an app like that? You could get super rich by selling it!

No, but there is an app called Punch Force that measure your punching strength while you hold an iphone and punch at the air... I can imagine that's about as bad as using a wii without the straps.

Thomas Fjellstrom
bamccaig said:

How does it measure it? Are you sure it isn't just faking it? Did you try stressing yourself to watch it climb, and then sitting in a freezer to watch it drop?

It uses the camera, you place your finger over the camera lense, and it attempts to measure the heart rate from that (I'm not sure exactly how it does it, but I assume its based on how much light comes back from the led lamp).

I've tried an "active" state (80-90+), a "resting" state (60+), and a "super relaxed" state (40-50~), and each time it measures a more or less realistic heart rate. (my heart rate has been rather low the past year or so, used to rev much higher).

Arthur Kalliokoski

They've declared a "Steve Jobs Day". I hope govt. employees don't demand the day off, they get paid way too much for the few hours they work now.

Mark Oates

Steve Jobs Day, an "Opportunist Startup" production.

torhu

Matthew Leverton

This is starting to get a little creepy. :-X

Arthur Kalliokoski

This is starting to get a little creepy. :-X

You want creepy? We got creepy!

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2011/10/07/steve-jobs-think-differently-is-lsd/#more-88718

Derezo

Late to the wake...

I knew he wasn't doing well but I had no idea he was so close to death.

I did not expect that.

Same. I wasn't saddened by it, but it was unexpected.

I respect his empire, and he created an interesting, unique, and purpose driven life. Even when he steps down as CEO, he goes all the way.

bamccaig said:

I imagine he just ended up taking credit for work that other people did, much like Bill Gates.

Uhhh... No. I actually don't think you could be any farther from the truth. He forced his own creativity upon others. It's what was so great about him, and also why I disliked his products so much. ;D

OICW
Derezo said:

Uhhh... No. I actually don't think you could be any farther from the truth. He forced his own creativity upon others. It's what was so great about him, and also why I disliked his products so much. ;D

Exceptions occur, *cough* graphical user interface *cough*.

piccolo

@ Arthur Kalliokoski

But its so true.

You have to be pretty skilled to harness it though.
weed lets you analyse things in much much greater detail.

The key thing is being able to focus on what you want to focus on and blocking out the random detail of other things.

GullRaDriel

OMG ! STEVE JOBS DEPART HAS MADE PICCOLO BACK !

(my best Steve Jobs death joke)

Johan Halmén
piccolo said:

weed lets you analyse things in much much greater detail.

It also seems to improve your writing skills in the long run.

Bob Keane

01010010 01001001 01010000

ImLeftFooted
[nil Why:@"Do you say that?"]

Longhand way to do same thing:

SEL s = sel_getUid(@"Why:");

typedef void (*foo)(id, SEL, NSString*);

((foo)objc_msgSend)(nil, s, @"Do you say that?");

Objective C isn't so bad, it has a bunch of parts that are actually quite cool. I particularly like the split between mutable and non-mutable objects, it allows for some cool interface setups.

And once you get used to nil being okay you can starting writing clean condensed code more often, where nil is the default for everything. It saves you from having to work as hard to test every input case for the chance of nil.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Quote:

01010010 01001001 01010000

It just occurred to me to convert that to ASCII. I'm slow sometimes.

Johan Halmén

It just occured to me to guess the ASCII. The first number is two higher than the third one. And the second number is much less than the two others. I'm lazy sometimes.

bamccaig

For the lazy...

perl -E 'say map { chr oct "0b$_" } qw(01010010 01001001 01010000)'

For the extra lazy: it's exactly what you think it is.

Objective C isn't so bad,...

Really? I can't even guess what your example code does. :P

Matthew Leverton

php -r 'array_map(function($b) { echo chr($b); }, [0b01010010, 0b01001001, 0b01010000]);'

:'(

GullRaDriel

For those I have no FB or G+ contact with, here are the Jobs Tables ^^

{"name":"604924","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6a94b12067ce59416c2fcf119000326c.jpg","w":600,"h":507,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6a94b12067ce59416c2fcf119000326c"}604924

Trent Gamblin

Nice, 80 pixel corner radius?

ImLeftFooted
bamccaig said:

Really? I can't even guess what your example code does.

Well that's actually C code. And it's a longhand way of doing the line of code at the beginning of the post. It's the "C" way to do the objective-c method call.

GullRaDriel

Trent, what do you mean ?

Mark Oates

He's talking about the rounded corners on the comic (which are, yes ;D, very huge.)

GullRaDriel

That didn't hurt me on first sight. Plus I didn't draw it ^^

Johan Halmén

The GUI of early Macs used to have those rounded corners. And a lovely 1 bit colour depth.

{"name":"604929","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/5\/8522d1c00207992ad3fe2b590b400688.png","w":512,"h":342,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/5\/8522d1c00207992ad3fe2b590b400688"}604929

GullRaDriel

Haaa, so that's kind of a wink from the author ! I would never have noticed.

LennyLen

The GUI of early Macs used to have those rounded corners. And a lovely 1 bit colour depth.

Early Macs sucked. Until a couple of years ago, I hadn't used a Mac since the Mid-90s, which is where my distaste for them stems from.

gnolam

At least you didn't have to use the late '90s Macs. When they introduced such usability abominations as the Puck Mouse. :P

Trent Gamblin

Specifically I was talking app iOS app icons, which for 512x512 icons have 80 pixel corner radii. It looked like they used the same size on the comic and I wondered if that was on purpose.

MiquelFire

video

The editing on the episode it advertised did show this was a last minute addition to the show, as the guy did not sound like he was supposed to (he was supposed to sound like he was about to pass out as he was donating a lot of blood, most likely more than the human body holds at this point).

gnolam

{"name":"bor111014.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/0\/304a3a22040c012337ad43a49e9488ef.gif","w":500,"h":358,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/0\/304a3a22040c012337ad43a49e9488ef"}bor111014.gif

OICW

gnolam: ;D this one really made my day.

Johan Halmén

bamccaig

gnolam and Johan FTW! \o/

Johan Halmén

{"name":"604953","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/d\/0d640c05b6a940d154a2ceee21995a05.jpg","w":630,"h":331,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/d\/0d640c05b6a940d154a2ceee21995a05"}604953
People believe he is coming back.

Thread #608528. Printed from Allegro.cc