Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO
Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/08/24/steve-jobs-resigns-as-apple-ceo/

He's trying to become chairman of the board. I wonder how this will affect the direction of the company.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

That's last hour's news. ::)

Sell your Apple stock now. Fanboys won't know what's what when Mr. Jobs isn't around to tell them what to buy.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

How are the iPad etc. going to sell without the Jobs KoolAid?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

So what does he actually do as CEO and what would he do as board chairman and what would actually change? It's not like he's retiring to the Bahamas; he's still there as "Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee."

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

he's still there as "Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee."

Until he dies. :-[

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Until he dies. :-[

Brain transplant into an iPad 5.

{"name":"pvp20100402.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/6\/167c00b58723729903c51b108c18a126.png","w":850,"h":281,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/6\/167c00b58723729903c51b108c18a126"}pvp20100402.png

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

He's sick and that's why he's stepping down. I wouldn't expect things to be quite the same.

He was an inspiring guy to me. If you haven't seen his speech at Stanford where he talks about his career and battle with cancer, check it out on Youtube.

[edit] Um, that wasn't quite worded the way I wanted it. He is still alive after all.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm glad.

I'm not glad that Steve is ill, that sucks. :(

But I'm really tired of explaining computer problems and have people reply "Well you should get a mac. :-*" Anything that takes away from the mystique is good, because it's not warranted. Especially recently with the iPhone 4/5, iPad 2 showing marginal improvement and minimal innovation.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Yay, finally no more stupid macs and i devices!

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

When an iDevice can wash my dishes and find my lost keys, then I'll be impressed.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Elias said:

Yay, finally no more stupid macs and i devices!

Refresh my memory. How much money have you made on Mac and iOS apps again? You're a man with no scruples!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

He was an inspiring guy to me. If you haven't seen his speech at Stanford where he talks about his career and battle with cancer, check it out on Youtube.

If you watch the same video that I did, Steve Jobs is a prick--and his poor health doesn't save him from that labeling.

He's still upset about Microsoft "stealing" his operating system.
He's still upset about Microsoft stealing his font renderer.
He talked about how great he was, and about how he didn't even need to graduate.

He strikes me as a very bitter man.

Meanwhile, Bill Gates is giving away billions to save the worlds children. Steve Jobs may be giving to charity, but he's definitely keeping it private if he is.

Quote:

The Rumor: The anti-Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, worth $5.1 billion, has no public record of charity.
The Reality: In 1987, Jobs created the Steven P. Jobs Foundation with the intended purpose of promoting "social entrepreneurship" but shut it down after a little more than a year with no charitable output of which to speak.

Over the last decade, Jobs has emptied his change drawer of $254,000 in donations to national political Democratic campaigns while Apple’s contributions went as high, in 2008 alone, as $1.7 million. However, this money shouldn’t be confused with charity; it’s quite literally, buying influence in Washington. Corporations making heavy investments in congressional influence is the cost of doing business. Apple is just one of the 700-plus clients in the communications and electronic sector that spent a collective $363 million on lobbying during the 2010 election cycle.

However, it’s not outside the realm of possibility that the secrecy shrouding Jobs’ private life may very well extend to his charitable giving protocol. Who knows...maybe he was the anonymous donor behind a $150-million pledge to the Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of California at San Francisco in 2007. A donation like that would certainly square with his highly altruistic 1993 quote in the Wall Street Journal: "Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful ... that's what matters to me."

Quote:

6) He doesn't give any money to charity. And when he became Apple's CEO he stopped all of its philanthropic programs. He said, "wait until we are profitable". Now Apple is profitable, and sitting on $40 billion in cash, and still no corporate philanthropy. I actually think Jobs is probably the most charitable guy on the planet. Rather than focus on which mosquitoes to kill in Africa (Bill Gates is already focusing on that), Jobs has put his energy into massively improving quality of life with all of his inventions.

People think that entrepreneurs have to some day "give back". This is not true. They already gave at the office. Look at the entire ipod/Mac/iphone/Disney ecosystem and ask how many lives have benefited directly (because they've been hired) or indirectly (because they use the products to improve their quality of life). As far as I know, Jobs has never even commented about his thoughts on charity. Good for him. As one CEO of a (currently) Fortune 10 company once told me when I had my hand out for a charitable website, "Screw charity!"

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Meanwhile, Bill Gates is giving away billions to save the worlds children.

Unicorns farting rainbows doesn't help in the real world.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/07/25/1348228/Gates-Not-Much-To-Show-For-5B-Spent-On-Education

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

If you watch the same video that I did, Steve Jobs is a prick--and his poor health doesn't save him from that labeling.

He's still upset about Microsoft "stealing" his operating system.
He's still upset about Microsoft stealing his font renderer.
He talked about how great he was, and about how he didn't even need to graduate.

He strikes me as a very bitter man.

Meh, my interpretation is that you just like to argue. It's a good speech, and he's a good man.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Meh, my interpretation is that you just like to argue. It's a good speech, and he's a good man.

You're welcome to that interpretation.

Here's another one:

Quote:

This reputation Steve earned since his very first years at Apple. As early as 1981, Macintosh project founder Jef Raskin wrote a note to Apple president Mike Scott complaining about the chairman of the board-enfant terrible that seemed to grow an interest in his pet project. It said:

Jobs regularly misses appointments
He acts without thinking and with bad judgement
He does not give credit where due
Jobs often reacts ad hominem
He makes absurd and wasteful decisions by trying to be paternal
He interrupts and doesn’t listen
He does not keep promises or meet commitments
He makes decisions ex cathedra
Optimistic estimates
Jobs is often irresponsible and inconsiderate

I'm merely googling "steve jobs character" and coming up with countless articles. So he's either grossly misunderstood and under appreciated by dozens of people, or just a prick.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You have to admit that both Jobs and Gates can convince people that they're right. That interpretation stands whether or not that's a good thing.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

You have to admit that both Jobs and Gates can convince people that they're right. That interpretation stands whether or not that's a good thing.

Oh, I agree.

I never harked on Jobs until I saw that speech on TED. I was blown away by the different tone in Gates speeches (compelling, and striving toward innovation and bettering oneself and quality of life), and Job's speech which felt like an hour long pat on the back and how the world owes him more.

-----sig:

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

So he's either grossly misunderstood and under appreciated by dozens of people, or just a prick.

Ya, because googling for negative things about people (FYI, people do not write an over abundance of articles of how NICE someone is, it's our nature) bringing up bad things is really surprising. People hate Steve Jobs and Apple because they think it's cool to be different, just for the sake of being different. They're jealous. The definition of a hipster is someone who hates things because they're hip or popular, instead of judging them on their actual merit. There are an awful lot of hipsters amongst so called "computer savvy" people and they all hate Apple and Steve Jobs.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Bill Gates became one of my heroes a few years back. I don't mind so much of the early business practices of Microsoft anymore. Billions are being spent for the right causes and he's now dedicating all his time working for the good of human kind.

A nearly ideal life path, in my opinion:

1) Make billions through some kind of business or idea.
2) Step down.
3) Spend all the money and time on building better society.

That's awesome. :-/

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Spend all the money and time on building better society.

Some of us don't have the money, but we all have as much time as a billionaire. Look at Linus ;).

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

One dollar in the donation jar from a poor man is a nobler deed than a million from a rich man. I'm not saying Bill Gates charity is a bad thing, but it's nothing more special than the old lady next door who gives 50 cents to the church missions jar every week.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

The difference is that billionaires don't usually reach the top only to leave and completely dedicate to charity.

The 50-cent woman's church donation (which goes to pay church's electricity bills, that fancy new alter they saw in the catelogue) isn't the same as dedicating one's life to do mission work... oh, I dunno... eradicating malaria.

Quote:

Look at Linus ;).

I think that qualifies as cool, too. :)

--

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

The 50-cent woman's church donation (which goes to pay church's electricity bills, that fancy new alter they saw in the catelogue) isn't the same as dedicating one's life to do mission work... oh, I dunno... eradicating malaria.

So you don't know what missions are then I take it...

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

I'm not saying Bill Gates charity is a bad thing, but it's nothing more special than the old lady next door who gives 50 cents to the church missions jar every week.

Yes it is. $1E+6 is a lot more than $0.50 ::)

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Yes it is. $1E+6 is a lot more than $0.05 ::)

Well 50 cents is 0.50 for starters, but Trent's talking about the relative sacrifice needed to provide what you can.

[EDIT]

And what it takes to keep body and soul together for a lazy bum unfortunate.

1   2   3 

Go to: