Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Project Planning / Management

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Project Planning / Management
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

It works with solutions too.

Don't waste your breath. I've told him several times before on IRC, and probably a few times on these forums. :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Well it does work. :P So that's awesome. Unfortunately, everything I work on in Visual Studio is a Web application, so for it to truly be useful I also need to figure out how to launch the Web application either in the bundled development server or in "IIS Express". >:( It would also be useful if when launched I could connect the Visual Studio debugger to it automatically so I could still set break points and such. Unless you're going to tell me that Visual Studio ships with a command line debugger. ;) Apparently there is a Mdbg.exe, a .NET command line debugger. :o

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

bamccaig said:

It would also be useful if when launched I could connect the Visual Studio debugger to it automatically so I could still set break points and such.

You can set visual studio to do whatever you want when you start debugging, including starting whatever process you want and on which remote computer to do it. I'm not really sure if that helps since I don't really understand exactly what you are running and what you are debugging... Of course you can also use the "attach to process" functionality (which also works on remote computers) to debug whatever.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Wait... you want to build and run from the command line, only to attach the GUI debugger? What's so hard about hitting F5 in the IDE at that point?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You can set visual studio to do whatever you want when you start debugging, including starting whatever process you want and on which remote computer to do it.

My goal is to NOT use Visual Studio.

BAF said:

Wait... you want to build and run from the command line, only to attach the GUI debugger? What's so hard about hitting F5 in the IDE at that point?

I'm not comfortable with command line debuggers (because I don't get to use them often). If I could learn to effectively use the command line debugger (I'm surprised there even is one for .NET) then I'd prefer that. Otherwise, yes, I'd be willing to use the GUI debugger if I must; but I'd like the ability to script the build and start process.

Albeit, it's a silly request when Windows lacks decent scripting until you add UNIX software to the mix... What I really want is to work with Java or Perl in a UNIX-like OS. >:(

1   2   3 

Go to: