Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Drawing text from variables?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Drawing text from variables?
curious_newbie
Member #11,781
March 2010

I understand the basics of allegro 5's draw text routines, but was wondering if it's possible to use text variables when using the routines?

example, I'm hoping to do something similar to this:

string answer = "blahblah";

al_draw_textf(font18, al_map_rgb(255, 255, 255), WIDTH / 2, HEIGHT / 2, ALLEGRO_ALIGN_CENTRE, "The answer is: %?", answer);

Any help is greatly appreciated

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

In 'C' I use "strcpy", "strcat", and "itoa" on a char[] (in 'C' a string variable is an array of char) variable, which I pass to the text display function.
It might be a place to start, though there are other seemingly funkier ways to do it with other languages e.g. C++.

www.justanotherturn.com

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I'm not sure whether or not allegro supports it, but if not then you could wrap al_draw_textf in a function that does by using sprintf (for string formatting), and va_list (for a variable number of arguments to your new function).

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Just use answer.c_str() Generates a null-terminated sequence of characters (c-string) with the same content as the string object and returns it as a pointer to an array of characters.

curious_newbie
Member #11,781
March 2010

The answer.c_str() did exactly what I was looking for, thank you all for the replies

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Thanks for the heads-up about "itoa" and "sprintf", have duly changed my code and coding habits.

www.justanotherturn.com

Go to: