Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » A Monday thread

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
A Monday thread
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The general concept behind the song is good. We definitely need more tracks for the A.cc Music CD. >:(

Another thing that is very common among the novice n00bs is the notion that their code is perfect, and that instead the library, the compiler, the OS, or the computer must just be very buggy. I saw a lot of that when teaching first and second level C++ courses, and of course it happens here too. :-X

"I think I found a bug in the rand() function!" a student might say.

"Why are you passing it two parameters?" I may ask as a follow up. :'(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Another thing that is very common among the novice n00bs is the notion that their code is perfect, and that instead the library, the compiler, the OS, or the computer must just be very buggy.

I remember going to school to learn COBOL with punch cards etc. 30 years ago and it was drilled into our heads that the computer never makes mistakes, it might be stupid but does exactly what you tell it every time. This was a bit too much to swallow, but a dozen years later when the Pentium FDIV bug came along, it fell into perspective, that while not impossible it was very, very unlikely.

[EDIT]

OTOH, this was before I got the Borland compiler. :P

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

"I think I found a bug in the rand() function!" a student might say.

..."it returns a different value each time I call it!" ::)

Well, actually, the fact that when something goes wrong, it's your own stupid fault is one of the things I like so much about being a programmer.

Anyway, back OT: Let's get this song started, shall we? Although I think a jazz waltz is pretty difficult to get right, composition wise.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

At work almost every bit of my code that goes wrong is due to Java being inferior to C#. ::) Today it was TreeSet using the comparator instead of .equals to guarantee set behaviour. Yesterday it was a generic list accepting a lookup on an object of the wrong type.

Sure, it was me making stupid mistakes, but it's still annoying that the mistakes are down to the language being a bit of a mess.

I've had to set Netbeans to display string == comparisons as error level because of the number of times I've made this embarrassing mistake. :-/

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Yesterday it was a generic list accepting a lookup on an object of the wrong type.

Agreed - I hate that!

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Let's get this song started, shall we? Although I think a jazz waltz is pretty difficult to get right, composition wise

I'm not very picky. If anyone needs some more music to get inspired to write more lyrics, I'll be happy to make some. So far, what we have in my example is only the last phrase of either the verse (A-part) or the chorus (B-part). And there's a hint of what could be a vamp between the verses. Or the actual chords in say the 1st half of the verse: Dm - G/D - Dm7 - G/D

media player

Um... didn't hear a thing from the bass when I did that in 10 minutes. Too small speakers in my monitor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

1   2 

Go to: