Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Anyone want a website?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Anyone want a website?
Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

While I'm still hanging around, would anyone happen to want a new website for any reason? I won't charge you anything to build it, but I'm not covering hosting fees and whatnot (except in some really exceptional circumstance). ;)

I'm looking for a smallish, fun project to work on while classes are in session. If you want a new personal site or have an idea for a website and don't have the time/ability to build it yourself, something along those lines, let me know. :)

add: Oh, for the concerned (beggars, choosers, etc.), my most recent work was on my rebuilt portfolio (which is in limbo until I get more of an erm...portfolio).

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I need a facebook clone. I need it in a week. Thanks in advance!

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

I need a facebook clone. I need it in a week.

Will a screenshot of the homepage printed out and taped to your monitor do? :-*

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Sorry that was my stupid joke to go along with the "how long would it take to build facebook" thread :P. I actually need an SMF theme done but that's not exactly a website and I already made an offer to someone and am waiting for response.

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

I'm unfamiliar with Simple Machines' theme setup, but I'm not opposed to projects that aren't strictly websites. 8-)

Like uh...here's a poster/card I made one afternoon a year or two ago:

{"name":"604823","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/3\/e3c6cf57e9590a25bbdaf9f788bcb486.jpg","w":406,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/3\/e3c6cf57e9590a25bbdaf9f788bcb486"}604823

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I would like a mobile theme for the wiki. Something that'll work on a smartphone.

Otherwise the only site that's actually in service right now is my computer repair site (http://tomscomputers.ca). I could use a new design for that too, my skills aren't that hot.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

I feel a little unqualified for doing mobile designs, being one of the last seven people without a smartphone to test them on. :-/ But I can whip up something for the repair site, if you like. :)

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

websites are easy, design and art are hard.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

websites are easy, design and art are hard.

Ah, but a website without without design or art is actually called 'HTML'. ;) And some would argue that a real craftsman has his brushstrokes in the markup, even.

I'm no (graphical) artist, but I'd like to think that my design sense has improved by leaps and bounds in the last few years.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I'd love a website for my latest game which is nearing completion. I don't have time to create a website myself.

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

I'd love a website for my latest game which is nearing completion.

Hey James, I remember you helping me out a lot when I was coming around here daily for programming help! :P I'd love to repay the favor, what kind of timescale are you looking at? Thomas' project is small enough that I could probably squeeze both in.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Anomie said:

But I can whip up something for the repair site, if you like.

That'd be cool. I've been thinking about splitting it up into a few different pages rather than having it all on one page like that. But that'd mean I'd have to write more flavour text, which I am clearly not good at.

Anomie said:

Ah, but a website without without design or art is actually called 'HTML'.

What about variables, you gotta have variables. ;D

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

For quick no-nonsense sites I've been really impressed with concrete5 (http://www.concrete5.org/). It's one of those light-weight cms's that has no massive bloated admin like joomla, etc, everything is just edited inline. The only thing missing really is a forum plugin.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

That'd be cool. I've been thinking about splitting it up into a few different pages rather than having it all on one page like that. But that'd mean I'd have to write more flavour text, which I am clearly not good at.

I actually quite like the idea of the whole thing being on one page, it acts more like a pamphlet than a book. :) The only issue is condensing the space down. Someone looking for your price on Windows system tweaks has to do a lot of skimming to get there.

I was also going to ask, are you terribly committed to the wording? Things like moving the pricing out to its own space jumps to mind (being that pretty much everything is the same price, with a few outliers at a second price).

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Anomie said:

I actually quite like the idea of the whole thing being on one page, it acts more like a pamphlet than a book.

Then it'd look like one of those HOW TO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN JUST A WEEK: THE HIDDEN SECRETS OF MAKING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN JUST A WEEK sort of websites...

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

@Anomie: I like how you rank your HTML/CSS skills well above JavaScript (in fact JavaScript isn't even listed as what you primarily do), yet your Web site doesn't display sensibly without JavaScript. :P ::) ;D

Append: I agree that Thomas Fjellstrom's site is just fine all on one page. There are ways to better organize the information on the page, but there's no good reason to split it up just because. :)

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

bamccaig said:

yet your Web site doesn't display sensibly without JavaScript.

Well I didn't write that Javascript. :P If anyone's interested in why it breaks:

There's this awesome thing called Less.js, which 'precompiles' your CSS for you, giving you features like 'mixins' (which behave basically like CSS functions), variables, selector nesting, arithmetic, some handy functions for manipulating colors, and access to the Javascript environment - all directly from the CSS file. The only downside (as bam has discovered) is that everything barfs without Javascript enabled.

The Less.js guys do offer a Mac-based compiler tool, so that you can compile all of your *.less syntax into a plain CSS file (minus the Javascript stuff you'd be grabbing from the browser) for production. Being that I'm not on a Mac, I went ahead and made a modified version of the JS file that prints out the compiled CSS, instead of applying it. The plan is to use Less.js during development, then convert it over to plain CSS when it's ready to publish. Being that my site's still in limbo, I haven't bothered converting it over yet. :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Anomie said:

I was also going to ask, are you terribly committed to the wording?

Hells no. That's the flavour text I was talking about.

Quote:

Things like moving the pricing out to its own space jumps to mind (being that pretty much everything is the same price, with a few outliers at a second price).

See I kinda tried that with the first layout, people had to ask... It's hard to find a layout that actually works. But at least the price in each section makes it clear what that feature costs. But a full "table" of prices somewhere else would make sense too.

bamccaig said:

There are ways to better organize the information on the page, but there's no good reason to split it up just because.

It's not "just because", I can make more specific ad's and link them directly to their own page.

--

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

I can make more specific ad's and link them directly to their own page.

This would be the best solution. The landing page should only serve as a shallow frontend for all offered services (along with some generic, but relevant, information).

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

The landing page should only serve as a shallow frontend for all offered services (along with some generic, but relevant, information).

Fair enough, I'd say what's there now is fine on one page, but adding sub-pages with additional information would be fine.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Anomie said:

Fair enough, I'd say what's there now is fine on one page, but adding sub-pages with additional information would be fine.

Though it could use some work. I've hacked that page together in a few hours on a few separate days ;D

--

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

Here's the new markup, for all you kids following along at home. :P Just fudged the pricing for now. I noticed you were using the HTML5 doctype, but none of its features! :(

#SelectExpand
1<!DOCTYPE html> 2<html> 3 <head> 4 <meta charset="utf-8" /> 5 6 <title>Tom's Computers</title> 7 8 <meta name="description" content="Computer troubles? Infections, slow-downs, lost data? I can help! Expert computer repair in North-East Edmonton, just $30-$40" /> 9 10 <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" /> 11 12 <!--[if lt IE 9]> 13 <script src="//ie7-js.googlecode.com/svn/version/2.1(beta4)/IE9.js"></script> 14 <![endif]--> 15 16 <script>var _gaq=_gaq||[];_gaq.push(["_setAccount","UA-17252358-2"]);_gaq.push(["_setDomainName",".tomscomputers.ca"]);_gaq.push(["_trackPageview"]);(function(){var a=document.createElement("script");a.type="text/javascript";a.async=true;a.src=("https:"==document.location.protocol?"https://ssl":"http://www")+".google-analytics.com/ga.js";var b=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];b.parentNode.insertBefore(a,b)})()</script> 17 18 </head> 19 <body> 20 <header> 21 22 <hgroup> 23 <h1>Tom's Computers</h1> 24 <h2>Repairs - Sales - Service</h2> 25 </hgroup> 26 27 <nav> 28 <ul> 29 <li><a href="#">Services</a></li> 30 <li><a href="#">Pricing</a></li> 31 <li><a href="#">Location</a></li> 32 <li><a href="#">Hours</a></li> 33 </ul> 34 </nav> 35 36 <address> 37 <ul> 38 <li><a href="#">632 Spruce Drive Northwest, Edmonton, AB</a></li> 39 <li><a href="#">contact@tomscomputers.ca</a></li> 40 <li>(780) 628-3501</li> 41 </ul> 42 </address> 43 44 <p>Something wrong with your computer? Has it gotten slow? Is it crashing a lot? Do you need something faster? I can help!</p> 45 46 </header> 47 48 <article> 49 <section> 50 <h3>Services</h3> 51 52 <dl> 53 <dt>PC Repairs</dt> 54 <dd> 55 Computer or programs crashing or locking up a lot? I can diagnose and repair/replace any broken component in modern PCs. 56 </dd> 57 <dt>PC Upgrades</dt> 58 <dd> 59 Computer a little slow? You might need an upgrade. I can upgrade any system component, including memory, hard disks, central processors (CPUs), and motherboards. 60 </dd> 61 <dt>Laptop Repairs</dt> 62 <dd> 63 Laptop or programs crashing or locking up a lot? I can diagnose and repair and or replace any broken component in modern laptops. Including but not limited to LCD screens, memory, motheboards, touchpads, or broken power connectors. 64 </dd> 65 <dt>Laptop Upgrades</dt> 66 <dd> 67 Laptop a little slow? You might need an upgrade. I can upgrade any system component, including memory, hard disks, central processors (CPUs), and motherboards. 68 </dd> 69 <dt>Data and File Recovery</dt> 70 <dd> 71 Data recovery is not always possible, but I can recover data off broken computers and laptops, if their hard drives are still working. In some cases, I can also recover some data off non-functioning hard drives and CD/DVD discs. But not always all the data. 72 </dd> 73 <dt>OS/Windows re-install or Upgrade</dt> 74 <dd> 75 Want to re-install or upgrade your OS? I can re-install or upgrade your OS. 76 </dd> 77 <dt>Virus Removal</dt> 78 <dd> 79 Got a virus or trojan? I can remove viruses and trojans. In most cases without having to re-install the operating system. 80 </dd> 81 <dt>Windows System Tweaks</dt> 82 <dd> 83 Computer a little slow? But your computer is fast, and you're sure you don't have any viruses? I can tweak and clean your windows system to perform better. 84 </dd> 85 <dt>Software Installs</dt> 86 <dd> 87 Need some new software installed? I can install any software. 88 </dd> 89 <dt>Case Cleaning</dt> 90 <dd> 91 After years of use and neglect, a computer or laptop case gets VERY dirty. Gunk in your computer can cause it to overheat, crash, or even die completely. I recommend a case cleaning every year or two at least. 92 </dd> 93 <dt>Custom Built PCs</dt> 94 <dd> 95 Need or want a new PC? But don't want the cheap crap most places sell? I can custom build a PC, and fully test it, to guarantee it won't be slow, unstable, or die within a year. 96 </dd> 97 </dl> 98 </section> 99 <section> 100 <h3>Pricing</h3> 101 <dl> 102 <dt>Most everything</dt> 103 <dd>$30-$40<sub>plus the cost of materials, where applicable</sub></dd> 104 <dt>Custom Built PCs</dt> 105 <dd><a href="#">Contact me</a> for a quote.</dd> 106 </dl> 107 </section> 108 <section> 109 <h3>Location</h3> 110 111 <!-- Google Maps, Facebook --> 112 <div><iframe width="300" height="300" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&amp;georestrict=input_srcid:1def9778e073a4d5&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;view=map&amp;cid=7296201052166963198&amp;q=Tom's+Computers&amp;hq=Tom's+Computers&amp;hnear=&amp;t=h&amp;ll=53.581907,-113.466797&amp;spn=0.244586,0.411987&amp;z=10&amp;output=embed"></iframe></div> 113 <div><iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomscomputers.ca&amp;layout=standard&amp;show_faces=false&amp;width=450&amp;action=recommend&amp;font&amp;colorscheme=dark&amp;height=20" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none;overflow:hidden;width:100%;margin:auto;height:20px;text-align:center;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></div> 114 115 </section> 116 <section> 117 <h3>Hours</h3> 118 119 <table> 120 <tr><td></td><th>Open</th><th>Close</th></tr> 121 <tr><th>Mon</th><td>8:00 AM</td><td>6:00 PM</td></tr> 122 <tr><th>Tues</th><td>8:00 AM</td><td>6:00 PM</td></tr> 123 <tr><th>Wed</th><td>8:00 AM</td><td>6:00 PM</td></tr> 124 <tr><th>Thurs</th><td>8:00 AM</td><td>6:00 PM</td></tr> 125 <tr><th>Fri</th><td>8:00 AM</td><td>6:00 PM</td></tr> 126 <tr><th>Sat</th><td>10:00 AM</td><td>4:00 PM</td></tr> 127 <tr><th>Sun</th><td colspan="2">Closed</td></tr> 128 </table> 129 </section> 130 </article> 131 <footer> 132 <h3>Network</h3> 133 <ul> 134 <li><a href="#">Tomasu.Net Web Hosting</a></li> 135 <li><a href="#">StrangeSoft</a></li> 136 </ul> 137 </footer> 138 </body> 139</html>

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

--

Anomie
Member #9,403
January 2008

Looks a little bare

But deliciously descriptive! :D But on that note, a good way to gauge your markup is to look at it with no styling and see if it still makes sense (also good for accessibility purposes, people with screen readers won't see anything but markup). Looking at the new markup vs the old markup (minus CSS), there's already a noticeable improvement. :)

Design comes next, do you want me to wing it or would you like to go through the standard 'client questionnaire' process ('describe the organization in five words', 'rate the organization on the following, between one and ten', etc)?

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Anomie said:

Hey James, I remember you helping me out a lot when I was coming around here daily for programming help! I'd love to repay the favor, what kind of timescale are you looking at? Thomas' project is small enough that I could probably squeeze both in.

I've been thinking about it a bit more and I guess the game probably isn't really in a complete enough state to warrant a website. I've not yet even committed to a name for it, and I'm probably going to re-skin the main background which would need to be consistent with the website design.

However, if you're still willing then that would be awesome. I think that at this stage it would make sense for it to simply be a single page with a few screenshots, download link etc. I can provide you with a screenshots plus the high-res photoshop originals of the game graphics if you'd like to feature these. I'd ideally like the style of the page to be similar to the game (i.e. stainless steel on black).

1   2   3   4 

Go to: