Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » [a5] set_multiply_blender

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[a5] set_multiply_blender
kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

What is the A5 equivalent of set_multiply_blender / draw_trans_sprite?

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

draw_trans_sprite = al_convert_mask_to_alpha?

The other one I have no idea.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Sorry I meant the combination of set_multiply_blender with draw_trans_sprite. I want to get that effect.

al_draw_tinted_bitmap is effectively equal to draw_trans_sprite with the right blender set.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

For someone not knowing what those A4 functions do - what is the effect you want?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Well here is the description from allegro.txt:

Quote:

void set_multiply_blender(int r, int g, int b, int a);
Enables a multiply blender mode for combining translucent or lit
truecolor pixels. Combines the source and destination images, multiplying
the colours to produce a darker colour. If a colour is multiplied by
white it remains unchanged; when multiplied by black it also becomes
black.

I don't know how to describe what the blender is doing any other way. Its implemented by multiplying the individual components of the two colors (source and destination). Here is the code I use in sdl which was copied from allegro4.

#SelectExpand
1 2static inline unsigned int transBlender(unsigned int x, unsigned int y, unsigned int n){ 3 unsigned long result; 4 5 if (n) 6 n = (n + 1) / 8; 7 8 /* hex: 0x7E0F81F 9 * binary: 0111 1110 0000 1111 1000 0001 1111 10 */ 11 x = ((x & 0xFFFF) | (x << 16)) & 0x7E0F81F; 12 y = ((y & 0xFFFF) | (y << 16)) & 0x7E0F81F; 13 14 result = ((x - y) * n / 32 + y) & 0x7E0F81F; 15 16 return ((result & 0xFFFF) | (result >> 16)); 17} 18 19static inline unsigned int multiplyBlender(unsigned int x, unsigned int y, unsigned int n){ 20 Uint8 redX = 0; 21 Uint8 greenX = 0; 22 Uint8 blueX = 0; 23 SDL_GetRGB(x, &format565, &redX, &greenX, &blueX); 24 Uint8 redY = 0; 25 Uint8 greenY = 0; 26 Uint8 blueY = 0; 27 SDL_GetRGB(y, &format565, &redY, &greenY, &blueY); 28 29 int r = redX * redY / 256; 30 int g = greenX * greenY / 256; 31 int b = blueX * blueY / 256; 32 return transBlender(makeColor(r, g, b), y, n); 33}

Where x is source, y is destination, and n is the current alpha value.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

trans sprite is going to be

ALLEGRO_BITMAP *bmp;
float alpha = 0.1;
al_draw_tinted_bitmap(bmp, al_map_rgba_f(alpha, alpha, alpha, alpha), x, y, NULL);

There is no multiply blender. The closest thing you can get to is the subtractive blender:

al_set_blender(ALLEGRO_DEST_MINUS_SRC, ALLEGRO_ONE, ALLEGRO_ONE);

or make a shader :-/

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Are all the hardware blenders implemented in scanline_drawers.c? Couldn't a new blender be added that did

r = dr * dst * sr * sa;

Or am I missing how the blenders are associated with hardware acceleration?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Those are software blenders. They are used on locked bitmaps, or memory bitmaps.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

So yes, if you want to add it, you need to add it to the software blenders, but also for OpenGL and DirectX.

For OpenGL it would be almost trivial, what you need is probably either the SRC_COLOR or DST_COLOR blend factor (in A5 it would be another blend factor like ALLEGRO_ALPHA mapped 1:1 to it, ALLEGRO_SOURCE_COLOR and ALLEGRO_DESTINATION_COLOR maybe):

http://www.khronos.org/opengles/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glBlendFunc.xml

No idea about DirectX but since GPUs support it DirectX most likely also supports it somehow.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Go to: