Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » A5 Displays (Resize/Stretching)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
A5 Displays (Resize/Stretching)
jason perkins
Member #10,524
January 2009

Hi, I'm just wondering how to go about getting everything I've drawn onto a display's back buffer to line up after a resize event.

I'm a little un-sure how this works, but it seems to me that during a resize the buffer is stretched to match this display's new width/height (This is what I'd like to happen), but after the event completes the buffer is also re-sized so I end up with empty space on the right and bottom sides.

What I'm trying to do is, when the window is re-sized have whatever's drawn on the back buffer stretch to match the display.

I think this is all the relevant code:

#SelectExpand
1const int SCREEN_W = 640; 2const int SCREEN_H = 480; 3 4al_set_new_display_flags(ALLEGRO_RESIZABLE); 5display = al_create_display(SCREEN_W, SCREEN_H); 6 7if(!display) 8{ 9 fprintf(stderr, "could not create the display!\n"); 10 return -1; 11} 12 13al_register_event_source(event_queue, al_get_display_event_source(display)); 14 15 // main loop 16{... 17 al_set_target_bitmap(al_get_backbuffer(ab.getDisplay())); 18 19 while (!doExit) 20 { 21 ALLEGRO_EVENT ev; 22 al_wait_for_event(ab.getEventQueue(), &ev); 23 if (ev.type == ALLEGRO_EVENT_TIMER) 24 { 25 im.checkInput(); 26 god.getInput(); 27 al_clear_to_color(al_map_rgb(0,0,0)); 28 god.draw(); 29 30 al_flip_display(); 31 } 32 33 if(ev.type == ALLEGRO_EVENT_DISPLAY_RESIZE) 34 al_acknowledge_resize(ab.getDisplay()); 35 } 36}

Everything I draw throughout the project is based on SCREEN_W/SCREEN_H, so it would be a lot easier to leave them as is, and just alter the way the buffer is drawn on to the display. Sorry for needing spoon feeding.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

If you want stretching, then you can use transformations. For your purposes I think this will be sufficient:

if(ev.type == ALLEGRO_EVENT_DISPLAY_RESIZE)
{
  al_acknowledge_resize(ab.getDisplay());
  ALLEGRO_TRANSFORMATION trans;
  al_identity_transform(&trans);
  al_scale_transform(al_get_display_width(ab.getDisplay()) / SCREEN_W, al_get_display_height(ab.getDisplay()) / SCREEN_H);
  al_use_transform(&trans);
}

EDIT: Fixed fractions... :-/

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

jason perkins
Member #10,524
January 2009

Thanks, I feel kind of bad. Now that transforms exist there's tonnes of questions with this exact answer. Thanks for the quick reply

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

SiegeLord, you also forgot the first argument to al_scale_transform. I'm not familiar with this function, but when I read the code I thought there was a magic global or something?!
SCREEN_W and SCREEN_H are the original window size (from the start of your program).

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

The compiler will remind me (or anyone using that code) of what I forgotten :P

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Go to: