Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » KLAXXZ GAME MAKER (KGM) 1.0 released

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
KLAXXZ GAME MAKER (KGM) 1.0 released
Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

You should take a look at piccolos project "The Game". It basically incorporates features of all game types and can be modified to be any game you like. Its the ultimate "Game Framework".

He even uses The Game as software for his space ship. :o

In capitalist America bank robs you.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

You have created a grotesque monstrosity, but good effort!

Klaxxz said:

That's because I was self taught.. and really just tried to make things work

Unless we're talking about snippets of code or basic tutorials, you really shouldn't be thinking about writing reusable/educational code until you've coded collaboratively. By this I mean that you've either studied programming at degree level, trained and worked as a professional software developer, or contributed to peer-reviewed open-source projects.

On the bright side (and I don't mean this in a nasty way), your website is so glaringly ugly that one would need to be very naive to take it seriously. So naive, in fact, that one might even stand to gain something by looking into it in more detail.

There is a certain retro charm to something so unprofessionally designed yet painstakingly and lovingly made. So I take my hat off to you. However, I will say this: you need to move on. You need to embrace convention before you can begin to think about being "different". You've clearly got a lot of enthusiasm and energy, however it pains me to see so much effort put into something that is a dead-end. I don't think you're going to learn an awful lot more until you work on something different, so I urge you to drop it and ideally ditch Allegro altogether and use something new.

Oh, and implementation details are not features. :P

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I urge you to drop it and ideally ditch Allegro altogether and use something new.

Like, say, Allegro?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Unless we're talking about snippets of code or basic tutorials, you really shouldn't be thinking about writing reusable/educational code until you've coded collaboratively. By this I mean that you've either studied programming at degree level, trained and worked as a professional software developer, or contributed to peer-reviewed open-source projects.

This is horrible advice. I've never studied programming professionally or at an institution of higher learning, and I've written an entire library of GUI code and extensions to the Allegro 4 library that are fully reusable and dependable. I'm entirely self taught in C and C++ and I think I've done a damn good job of it for 5 years worth of learning and study.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Personally, I feel that taking such a wonderful library like Allegro that is open and free with no restrictions, making a simple front end for it with a few extra features then slapping such a restrictive GPL license on it is a little annoying.

Also, your website needs much more work. As stated already, install different browsers on your machine and test it out with them. On my own I tested it with IE and Firefox which are the most commonly used. Resize your browser on your website and see how it changes looks, it should be flexible and easy to follow. If I have to scroll down too far for something, than you should probably create separate pages with a menu.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

Klaxxz said:

I don't agree that it's as BAD and confusing as some have said.

Remember that you're more familiar with it than anyone else on the planet. It's not like it's a flash site but it needs some visual simplification.

We are a tough crowd but think of us like fellow students in an art class criticizing each others work constructively. Your projects have a lot of potential and it would be a shame if most people were driven away by the website.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

I started making some pretty rad games with KLAXXZ GAME MAKER, I highly recommend at it, you guys should take an even deeper look it into it A++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I started making some pretty rad games with KLAXXZ GAME MAKER, I highly recommend at it, you guys should take an even deeper look it into it A++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kewl, post a link to your game (and source code don't forget) so we can check it out. :)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

I'm almost done, I'm gonna release it under GPL, i work on it everyday after school ^_^

-----

Idealius
Member #1,619
November 2001

Hey good job, man.

You finished something. Most people here never do that.

Props.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

YHBT. YHL. HAND.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

He may have been talking about the OP.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Idealius said:

Hey good job, man.

You finished something. Most people here never do that.

Props.

All thanks to KLAXXZ GAME MAKER is this project successful, the docs are helpful

-----

1   2 

Go to: