Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Current Projects

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Current Projects
blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

I'm kind of waiting for allegro to have a native 3D API before I dig into 3D.

XNA, OpenGL, DirectX, Ogre3d, etc.

Why wait?

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

XNA and DirectX are not cross platform, you can't compare them with allegro.

If Allegro could create some kind of Add-on to use Ogre3D, would be great. since Ogre3D uses DirectX and OpenGL. But now Allegro has a port for iPhone so I don't know if the Allegro Library is always going to guarantee a compatibility with all platform or just say something like "The 3D add-on is not compatible with iPhone".

Edit: Reading on Google it seems that Ogre3D also has a iPhone port.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

XNA and DirectX are not cross platform, you can't compare them with allegro.

Of course you can. Really, only the fundamentals of 3d matter, which you can learn with something like OpenGL or XNA, then apply to Allegro3d.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Much as it pains me to admit it, that source code is what finally helped me figure out how to do OOP in C++, despite knowing how to do it in Java for over a year now. Because I'm terrible at learning from tutorials and my lazy searches hadn't turned up any simple examples.

Glad I could be of assistance. That was my first REAL attempt at using C++ classes. That's a fairly simple example and my goal was just to get the simplest of games running using them. I was surprised that they worked right off, didn't have any errors in my classes. I just recalled that you're not supposed to allow direct access to class variables, which is why I provide functions to handle all accesses. I think this is so you can change the class later on without breaking someone's program that uses it.

I could probably have made a game class for that to handle all the screen updates, logic and whatnot I suppose.

Quote:

I'm loving the 3D projects I'm seeing here. I toyed with 3D for a bit, but I could never figure out how to use a 3D modeler, or how to use the models in my programs. Probably for the same reasons as why I've just now figured out how to do OOP in C++.

IN all the projects I posted about in here that I have fiddled around with, none of them actually load in an object yet. ;) I actually have another project I have worked on just for loading in objects so I can understand how to do that. I have it working fairly well now and will probably use some of the functions I created in it with another project and finally get actual models loaded in. I just need to add in code that loads in and applies textures to the models.

Reading in an object file is fairly simple. If you start with a 3D Studio ASC file, they're easy to read in. That's what I am using.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

1   2   3   4 

Go to: