jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Halogen spotlights, baby!

You don't deserve my sig.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

All these production stops will lead us to have no more incandescent bulbs to sell at the end of 2012.

Yeah, but by then the world will have ended, so it doesn't matter.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

video

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The maximum radiation in that clip was 112 uSiv/hr at 11:36. Wikipedia claims that up to 0.25 uSiv/day fails to produce symptoms. So, while ignoring the body's ability to repair itself during lengthy exposures, they could have stayed there 93 days before feeling ill.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

uSiv/hr

µSv/h, dammit. >:(

Quote:

Wikipedia claims that up to 0.25 uSiv/day fails to produce symptoms.

It bloody well should, since that's in the order of a tenth of normal background. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Whoopsy! I should have said 0.25Sv

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

So now they admitted it was INES 7.
Oh dear, it's always the same. No reason to trust any of these people.

edit:

Quote:

One official from Tepco said that radiation leaks had not stopped completely and could eventually exceed those at Chernobyl, Reuters news agency reported.

If Tepco says "could" in this context, that translates to "will".

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Polybios said:

So now they admitted it was INES 7.
Oh dear, it's always the same. No reason to trust any of these people.

::)
The INES rating is a) fairly useless (it has no effect whatsoever on the response to the incident) and b) upgraded or downgraded according to new information and how the incident unfolds.

--

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Well, while I agree on a), the point with b) is that information was available before. They just officially stopped to assess each reactor/spent fuel rod separately by now, which was nonsense anyway: I'm sure the people who live/d in the area do not care where exactly their new long-term cohabitants Caesium and Strontium came from. ::)

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

The estimated the fallout volume about 10% of Chernobyl..

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

important words missing: so far

BTW, there were other, larger estimates weeks ago.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Polybios said:

BTW, there were other, larger estimates weeks ago.

By people like fox, who were over reacting to blown up reports ::)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

It would be nice to get a accurate report from someone.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

No, not just Fox.

The Austrian meteorology office already said on 24th March:

Quote:

The three day emissions from Fukushima of Iodine-131 would be about 20% of the total Chernobyl emissions, while those of Cesium-137 would be between 20 and 60%

Note they're taking into consideration the first three days only.

Source here.

As they're neither Greenpeace, nor affiliated with the nuclear industry, I'd give them some credibility.
Since they estimated emissions that high for the first three days, the Japanese are a late with their INES 7 rating, because, obviously, it was already in that scale quite early. Emissions have declined since then.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Wow, the austrians? I assume they are some kind of authority on japanese reactors?

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

It's not about the reactors. It's about emissions carried away by the wind. There's no knowledge needed about the reactors whatsoever. ::)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So they were there and taking measurements? I doubt it :P

--

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Of course they weren't, they took the Japanese and US and international measurements and calculated using them.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Polybios said:

It's not about the reactors. It's about emissions carried away by the wind. There's no knowledge needed about the reactors whatsoever. ::)

Their estimate is based on measurements from Takasaki and the US Pacific coast, which leads to absolutely enormous error bars, since it relies on long-distance, long-timescale meteorological models. Which are notoriously fickle.

I'll take the official sources, thankyouverymuch.

--

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Wow, the austrians? I assume they are some kind of authority on japanese reactors?

Mind you, they are still a bit envious, because of their world's most expensive museum of atomic energy - finished nuclear powerplant that never ran a fission reaction.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Tsk, don't we all have one of those? ;D
(Except ours was more or less only to provide power as a bonus - its main purpose was to produce weapons plutonium)

--

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

That buidling surely is a beast. Seems like I have another place to visit and shoot on my camera :)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

gnolam said:

Their estimate is based on measurements from Takasaki and the US Pacific coast, which leads to absolutely enormous error bars, since it relies on long-distance, long-timescale meteorological models. Which are notoriously fickle.

I'll take the official sources, thankyouverymuch.

Did the "officials" sit beside the reactors and actually count the isotopes? No wait, they'd have to sit on a boat a bit to the east... Do they have measuring devices there, on the sea? I doubt it...

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Polybios said:

Did the "officials" sit beside the reactors and actually count the isotopes?

Pretty much, actually - they're doing continuous air, soil and seawater sampling around the plant.

--

Go to: