Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Cleaning up The Wiki

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Cleaning up The Wiki
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Hmm, that's a MediaWiki thing. Here's what it looks like default (without my css):

{"name":"603662","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/2\/62556824fbd53d969a874cfeff20cd59.png","w":911,"h":830,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/2\/62556824fbd53d969a874cfeff20cd59"}603662

I think what happens is the thumbnail will start (vertically) at the section where you put the thumbnail, but if the sections overlap, then the thumbnails will stack. It's not as cool as the allegro.cc way ;)

If I narrow the window, that seems to support my hypothesis:
{"name":"603663","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/8\/188cae9d5133d70f5a26dbaafdce344c.png","w":602,"h":830,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/8\/188cae9d5133d70f5a26dbaafdce344c"}603663

I'm not sure there's anything I can do on that one. I would recommend that you just embed the images, not as thumbnails.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I see. Thank you for looking into it.

I found a fix. I added a Template:clear, and then {{clear}} at the end of each section. Problem solved 8-)

Only remaining visual artifact is that the code box is too wide, and the thumbnails thus start digging into it. Not sure how to fix that one ...

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Bleh, you are telling people to places DLLs in system32 by hand, to place files in the VC directories, etc. There's a reason I write my own tutorials. >:(

I confess, I used to tell people to do that too.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

(What matthew said)++

I was going to suggest changing that at some point. You'll need to, eventually. The "right" way to do it is create a separate folder somewhere with that allegro version's headers and dlls, then tell msvc where to look via that project's property pages. That way you can write in a program in 5.0.0, later upgrade to 5.x.x and still have 5.0.0 (and still properly referenced in its project) for the previous program you were writing.

In doing that, you'll need to create a new section on distributing your program, that explains how to copy the dlls into your distribution folder.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Bleh, you are telling people to places DLLs in system32 by hand, to place files in the VC directories, etc.

Feel free to edit it. It's like, a Wiki and stuff.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I could edit all of your posts on the forums here but I don't do that either. :-*

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I wish you would. My grammar is shameful :'(

Anyway, I know it's not best practices, but I just threw it together; making incremental steps here and there. At least I'm putting something on the Wiki, and hopefully motivating others to do the same. I'll come back later and clean it up; maybe even write an installer. It'd certainly be nice to have an MSVC project template, which is on my list of things to do.

Thank you for the feedback.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I hold some reserve for modifying an instructional article that someone else has spent time refining, such as that. This case I think it's ok, though.

I'll be happy to make changes on those sections. In the next few days, though. I'll get around to it. :)

--

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Damn auto-lock system, I have no time yet, but if I don't write something it's going to be locked. >:(

Anyway, I was seeing the new pages (Allegro 5 MSVC 2010 Inst. and Grid Coordinates vs. Pixel Coordinates) which are pretty good, but for me they're not well placed. I don't know if they're there just temporally.

Instructions about how to install allegro 5 should be simply an "Allegro 5 Tutorial", we could create another section inside the "Allegro 5 Tutorial" besides "Abstract" which it could say "Installing Allegro 5" then "Select your IDE" and there is where I want to place the Code::Blocks instructions, and inside each IDE might be instructions for different Operating Systems.

About "Grid Coordinates vs. Pixel Coordinates" is very difficult to know in which section we could include this, because it's not properly a "Game Design" or a "Concept" about something, but, if Allegro 5 draws primitives different than Allegro 4, then could be placed inside "Allegro 5 Tutorial" since is something related only to how Allegro 5 works.

Allegro 5 Tutorials

★ Installing Allegro 5

• Visual Studio 2010
     • Code::Blocks 10.05
          | Windows
          | Linux
     • DevC++
          | Windows
          | Linux

★ Abstract  

• Displays: Learn to create a display
     • Events: Learn about events and how to use them
     • Timers: Learn how to use timers
     • Bitmaps: Learn how to create and draw bitmaps
     • Input: Learn how to get input
     • Addons: Learn about Allegro's various addons
          • Primitives: Learn how to draw primitive shapes
               | Grid Coordinates vs. Pixel Coordinates
          • Fonts: How to use fonts and draw text
          • Audio: Learn how to play audio

What do you think??

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

★ Installing Allegro 5

• Visual Studio 2010
• Code::Blocks 10.05
| Windows
| Linux
• DevC++
| Windows
| Linux

I'd do the top-level split per platform rather than per compiler. Also, you left out OS X in that scheme.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I'd also NOT have a section for Dev-C++. That only encourages people to use it.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Well I have to admit that DevC++ isn't the best IDE, but that isn't our problem, if someone wants to use Allegro with it (school, people already used to it, etc.) we should provide an installation tutorial. We could make a note for newbies, though.

Evert said:

I'd do the top-level split per platform rather than per compiler. Also, you left out OS X in that scheme.

Oh, it's true I forgot the little apple.
Yes would be better:

Allegro 5 Tutorials

★ Installing Allegro 5

• Windows
         |Code::Blocks 10.05
         |Visual Studio 2010
         |DevC++
     • MacOS
     • Linux
      (These are just examples I don't know all the OS nor IDEs)

★ Abstract  

• Displays: Learn to create a display
     • Events: Learn about events and how to use them
     • Timers: Learn how to use timers
     • Bitmaps: Learn how to create and draw bitmaps
     • Input: Learn how to get input
     • Addons: Learn about Allegro's various addons
          • Primitives: Learn how to draw primitive shapes
               | Grid Coordinates vs. Pixel Coordinates
          • Fonts: How to use fonts and draw text
          • Audio: Learn how to play audio

Well, I'm waiting for the green light to start the modification process.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

We should not support an outdated, end-of-life IDE. Doing so just enables users to keep using it. We should not provide any tutorials for it, and point them to a more modern IDE that's still supported and developed.

If someone is that set on using it, they can figure out how to make it work themselves. If they can't figure that out, then they probably shouldn't be programming anyway. :-X

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Awww Okeeyy, there is not going to be a DevC++ tutorial... The rest is fine?

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

You may want to discuss x-code on OS X. I personally find it atrocious, but it's the Apple provided IDE. Not sure if there are any other popular IDEs to discuss for Linux.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Well I'm just putting Tutorials that already exist... If someone want to create another one about X-code he can do it... I'm just talking about the order in which this pages are going to be shown.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

BAF said:

You may want to discuss x-code on OS X.

Definitely should discuss XCode.
Chicken and egg problem though: most of us who know Allegro don't know XCode and those who don't know XCode don't know Allegro because there is no discussion for how to use Allegro with XCode.

The main thing for Linux is probably the commandline setup (which is fairly straightforward, thanks in part to pkg-config) which will actually work exactly the same on OS X.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

BAF said:

We should not support an outdated, end-of-life IDE. Doing so just enables users to keep using it. We should not provide any tutorials for it, and point them to a more modern IDE that's still supported and developed.

qft

--

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I agree, the only mention of Dev-C++ should be the advice not to use it.

Btw., is there a place in the Wiki which explains how to get the 4 versions of MinGW listed under http://allegro.cc/files? I just wanted to give a link to someone in another thread where to download them and searched on mingw.org but have a hard time figuring it out :P (And I'm not using Windows myself.)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Elias said:

Btw., is there a place in the Wiki which explains how to get the 4 versions of MinGW listed under http://allegro.cc/files? I just wanted to give a link to someone in another thread where to download them and searched on mingw.org but have a hard time figuring it out (And I'm not using Windows myself.)

Sourceforge

edit: mingw.org is an abomination, unfortunately (though it actually is better than it used to be).

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I see, so can just click that .exe at the top. But which of the 4 versions will that give you, and how do you get the other 3 versions?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

The link at the top is for the latest version. To get the other versions, you have to go into various categories, depending on what components they need. In general, just Base System (which has the main gcc package, gdb, runtime libs and binutils) and Make will do for most uses.

If you look inside those, you'll find the various versions of each package.

edit: I should clarify - the link at the top is for the latest version of the installer. This will allow you to install the latest stable release (gcc 4.5, iirc?), the WIP release (gcc 4.5.2), and the previous release (gcc 4.4). From memory it also installs make, gdb and a few other things as well.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Looking at the changes so far, I'm no sure the SVN pages should have been renamed the way they were. They are explicitly for SVN. Though I suppose someone could add general information to it, but it should have happened before the rename.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Well actually I wasn't sure about that one, but I thought that everyone installing Allegro from a Linux platform was using SVN, I thought they were related.

Should create separated section?

★ Installing Allegro 5

• Windows
         |Visual Studio 2010
         |DevC++
     • MacOS
     • Linux
     • SVN

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Well actually I wasn't sure about that one, but I thought that everyone installing Allegro from a Linux platform was using SVN, I thought they were related.

No, most people will be using the source tar ball. Or eventually[1], official debian packages.

References

1. when I get around to it

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: