Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Cleaning up The Wiki

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Cleaning up The Wiki
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

We need to decide between "News" and "Recent changes" having both doesn't make sense to me.

They are NOT the same thing. Recent Changes lists recently added or changed pages. News has to do with allegro releases or wiki server issues.

Billybob said:

I have a bunch of screenshots to put on there, but when I try to upload files to the wiki I get:

My bad. /me fixes

append: try uploading stuff now.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

append: try uploading stuff now.

Works great now, thank you!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'm really happy you guys are working on this stuff. And if someone is willing to help be a long term helper, I'm interested in giving people wiki admin rights.

append: There's my first stab at re-jiging the navigation menu. the "stuff" box needs a better name... Or removed if you all really feel its unnecessary.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

That's cool. :)

I kinda like "stuff" ;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

There's my first stab at re-jiging the navigation menu.

Thanks for taking care of that!

I guess since it links up to the Allegro 5 and Allegro 4 pages, we'll have to prettify those and add links to the respective Article listings.

EDIT: Also, many thanks to AMCERASOLI for starting up this thread and his good suggestions.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Billybob said:

I guess since it links up to the Allegro 5 and Allegro 4 pages, we'll have to prettify those and add links to the respective Article listings.

It can link directly to the category pages if you want..

But I've been thinking we might want to do some fancy transclusion. The Allegro 4/5 pages will suck in the index links from the category pages, and the Main Page can suck in them from the Allegro 4/5 pages some how.

--

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

But I've been thinking we might want to do some fancy transclusion.

I have no idea what that means :P

My initial reaction is to, in some ways, duplicate the Main Page, but customize it for Allegro 4 and Allegro 5 respectively. Perhaps doing what you suggestion, including the Allegro 4/5 category listing in there somehow.

I added some more things to the Allegro 5 article, just for now.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Billybob said:

I have no idea what that means

Transclusion means dynamically including part of one page in another. When the transcluded part of a page is changed, the changes show up automatically in the transcludee (sp?).

--

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Nice, I think we have the Home page ready.

Just two suggestions:

1- I think since the "Help" button is related to the Wiki we should change it to "Wiki Help", many web pages have that way.

2- When we finish to reorganize the wiki, the "Place to go" sections is not going to be necessary anymore(people are going to use the left menu). So we can change it by "Recent Changes".

Ex:
{"name":"603563","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/d\/ed40eee3ff1686738b6be025d6b963a6.jpg","w":1920,"h":960,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/d\/ed40eee3ff1686738b6be025d6b963a6"}603563

Now, we need to set how is going to be organized Allegro5/4. Both are going to have the same layout/organization.

I think we need to split things:

Allegro 5 / 4

• Allegro 5 / 4 Tutorials (This are related to allegro itself, loading Bitmaps, resizing a window, etc)

• Game Design Concepts (Separating logic from drawing, make a guy jump, etc.)

• Non Official addons (GUI, Text handler, etc.)

Game Design Concepts, is not our first priority, so if you want to create a tutorial and you don't know about what to do it, try to make one for the Allegro 5 / 4 8-)

Allegro 5 / 4

• Download

• Allegro 5 / 4 Tutorials

• Game Design Concepts

• Non Official addons

• See Also

I don't know what the Pixelate thing is... But we can use it to put this kind of stuff:

- Competition listing
- Allegro Rupee Trading System
- Allegro on IRC
- Community Portal
- Submit a mascot (:-X)
- Pages that need work
- Allegro development
- Allegro's New API (I think this is talking about 5.1 right?)
- Road Map (And this will talk about 5.1)
- Allegro Hack Day
- Todo List
- Allegro website

I find many things redundant, but I don't know.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think the places to go section is still useful. We can show a sub set of the information in the Allegro 4 and Allegro 5 pages in there, as well as some other pages that don't quite belong in either.

Allegro's New API (I think this is talking about 5.1 right?)

Nope. Its talking about a rather old version of 4.9/5.0. Some pages need cleaned up, or updated significantly.

--

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

But I think "recent changes" should be more visible. Can we put "Recent Changes" up, showing its content like "News"? and "Place to Go" (which are basically shortcuts) down?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think with the clean up, the places to go section will be smaller. I'm not sure how the front page will be organized atm. Still need to think about it.

--

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Or we can put "Recent Changes" showing its content in the "Pixelate" box and let the rest the same

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I dunno, where would we put the pixelate stuff? I would like to see the work to wikify the pixelate articles finished...

--

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Hmm.. But what it's the Pixelate stuff? What does that mean?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Pixelate was some online magazine or something. Basically someone here collected various short articles on Allegro related topics then released them from time to time. After work on it was stopped we decided it would be good to put all the articles to the wiki. My plan was to do a half-automated conversion to wiki syntax of the whole thing first, issue by issue, so all 15 issues would be available in wiki syntax. Then later they could be integrated into the rest of the wiki better. However the conversion turned out to be a lot of work and after a few weeks nobody was working on it anymore.

So now I think it would be better to just do away with the pixelate issues and just convert all the articles. It doesn't really matter if the article appeared in issue 12 or issue 15 once it's in the wiki... also that way articles which don't make much sense any longer don't have to be converted at all.

I'll try and move it from the front page to a sub-page now.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Oh I see, since I saw things like "books" and the name of people that was writing the documents, I thought those documents were from people outside this community.

I'm using the Allegro 4 section as "SandBox" but something that I can't understand are categories.

Articles categories:

When I think in an article, I imagine a short text talking about a specific way to do something.

For example I could create an article talking about how to create arrays of objects, and would be an article about programming, and also could create and article about making an object move across the screen with Allegro and would be an article about Game Design Concepts.

But when I press Allegro 5 Articles I see:

- Subcategories: and a another link to Allegro 5 Tutorial.

- Pages in category "Allegro 5":
A5 hardware portability
Allegro 5 Screenshot

We have this:

{"name":"603564","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/6\/a60623631487bbcbba976467842e145a.jpg","w":256,"h":154,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/6\/a60623631487bbcbba976467842e145a"}603564

But I think instead of say: Allegro 4 articles, should say, Programming Articles. Because we're already in the Allegro 4 section, we now they're allegro 4 articles.

don't you think?

EDIT

But wait a minute... Articles of that kind (programming) don't need to be related to A4 nor A5 so I think that link can point to the same document.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

But I think instead of say: Allegro 4 articles, should say, Programming Articles. Because we're already in the Allegro 4 section, we now they're allegro 4 articles.

don't you think?

No, each category should have its own name, that's simpler. Look at Wikipedia, they managed to categorize the total of human knowledge that way so should be good enough :) [1]

Btw., to whoever is responsible for the CSS, can we have the font sizes please be the exact same as Wikipedia? Wikipedia has the right font sizes for everything in all browsers here but the Allegro Wiki's sidebar text is unreadably small for me.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

But if someone upload a document in "Allegro 5 programming articles" someone learning allegro 4 won't be able to see it (and vice versa).

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

Then someone should convert those articles' code to the other version?

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

No because programming articles, don't need to be related to Allegro. It's just that, programming. I'm actually thinking in that category because there are already some articles talking about generic programming, things that you can find everywhere:

Category: Programming
This Category should be useful for everyone, even for non allegro users.

- Allegro GUI PHP (this shouldn't be here this is a "Non Official addon")
- Cellular Automata - Game of life and other variants (This neither, is more related to "Game Design Concepts")
- Function pointers
- Return values

Etc...

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

CSS

In the fresh new coat of CSS I'm working on, those sizes have been increased. There were several fonts at 95%, 85%, etc that I have bumped up to 100% for legibility.

I plan to 'release' the css when it's ready, to avoid incremental commentary (which will always kill a design). I think it will be ready in a day or two.

It looks really nice, btw ;) :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I vaguely recall a brief moment in a dream last night where the wiki was re-styled to a Geocities-ish era look with a black starfield as a background. Is that the new look? 8-)

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I vaguely recall a brief moment in a dream last night where the wiki was re-styled to a Geocities-ish era look with a black starfield as a background. Is that the new look?

Well, at least wasn't a nightmare... ;D

How can I edit this category? http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Category:Programming

What I see is just:

This category contains articles pertaining to the subject of computer programming.

[[Category:Articles]]

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

It looks really nice, btw

Yay!

How can I edit this category?

Do you mean, how can you add pages to that category? You have to go to each page and add [[Category:Programming]] to them, typically at the bottom. Then they will show up in the http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Category:Programming page.

The same thing goes for Categories. So since the Programming category has [[Category:Articles]] on it, it will show up in the Articles category.

But wait a minute... Articles of that kind (programming) don't need to be related to A4 nor A5 so I think that link can point to the same document.

Anything that is agnostic to A4/A5 should appear in both categories. So, for example, you could add [[Category:Allegro 4]] and [[Category:Allegro 5]] to the Category:Programming page, and then Programming would show up under Allegro 4 and Allegro 5.

Go to: