Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » [A5] al_ustr_empty_string() questions

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[A5] al_ustr_empty_string() questions
axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

1) Should the result of al_ustr_empty_string() be freed?

2) Is this valid code?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

1)

Quote:

Return a pointer to a static empty string. The string is read only.

2) Valid C, but wrong.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Shouldn't the return of al_ustr_empty_string(); better be a const ALLEGRO_USTR* then?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Yes, that's what I would have thought. Or said. Or whatever.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Quote:

Return a pointer to a static empty string. The string is read only.

The above is so vague. It can be interpreted in many ways:

• the string buffer is read only, but the returned Allegro string is not and must be freed.

• the string buffer is read only, and the returned Allegro string is read only, and so it must not be freed.

• the string buffer is read only, but the returned Allegro string is not, but even if it is freed, nothing will happen.

• the string buffer is read only, and the returned Allegro string is read only, and if it is freed, nothing will happen.

I think there is a problem with this function; the returned string should be available to free, since it cannot be shared.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

The return should be const, yes.

axilmar said:

The above is so vague. It can be interpreted in many ways:

Only if you overlook the "static" in there. But yes, always better to be explicit, maybe someone can make a patch which adds something like "The string is read only and must not be freed.".

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

What does 'static' refer to in this context? is the string buffer static or the ALLEGRO_USTR instance static? or both?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Yeah, as I said, someone should make it more clear. It means both apparently.

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

When in doubt, look at the source:

utf8.c#SelectExpand
1/* Function: al_ustr_empty_string 2 */ 3ALLEGRO_USTR *al_ustr_empty_string(void) 4{ 5 static struct _al_tagbstring empty = _al_bsStatic(""); 6 return ∅ 7}

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

So it is not thread safe.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Why wouldn't it be? :P

--

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Because empty will be initialized by the first caller of al_ustr_empty_string(), and it might happen that two threads try to do this at the same time.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

tobing said:

Because empty will be initialized by the first caller

It's static, it will be initialized before main(). So completely thread-safe.

--

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

It's static, but inside a function. So it's only initialized when the first call to the function occurs.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/55510/when-do-function-level-static-variables-get-allocated-initialized

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Are you sure that isn't just C++? In C, I can't even seem to initialize my static local variable with a function... :-X It needs to be a constant expression (which sounds like compile-time to me). In C++, it's no problem.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

In C static variables (no matter if inside a function or not) are initialized before main().

[edit:]

Found it in the C99 standard, 6.2.4 §3:

Quote:

An object whose identifier is declared with external or internal linkage, or with the
storage-class specifier static has static storage duration. Its lifetime is the entire
execution of the program and its stored value is initialized only once, prior to program
startup.

--

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

OK, I'm so much used to C++ that I tend to forget that there might so differences like this. Sorry.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

tobing said:

OK, I'm so much used to C++ that I tend to forget that there might so differences like this.

So does that mean that in C++ code, the compiler has to insert code to check whether a static variable has been used before and is therefore initialised already, or needs to be initialised now? Or does it do code-flow analysis to figure out where to insert the initialisation?
Neither of those sound particularly appealing to me...

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

The first. It's checked at runtime if the static is already initialized or not, and the first one coming by does the initialization.

When it comes to overhead and what the compiler generates, I don't know...

The good thing about this is, you can control the initialization, i.e. when the static is initialized. It's quite simple to implement singletons that way, or control the order of initialization of "global" variables between different compilation units.

Go to: