Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Official algui thread.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Official algui thread.
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

That basically looks like my list. I also have a tab strip and a tab panel. (The panel is a composite widget that contains a tab strip and one user widget associated with each tab.)

What about multiline text?

I assume a spacer/stretch "widget" comes with the layouts.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Where is the testing zip ? >:(

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Ah yes, tabs. I forgot about those.

I think it's best if I skip the multiline text editor and do a "graphical symbol" editor, one that allows 'text' lines to include graphics and shapes. In this way, one could have some rudimentary effects like bold or underlined text, lines made out of graphical symbols, small images like smiley faces etc.

And a spacer widget is a good idea.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

How are you going to handle borders around common widgets?

For instance, a button and a listbox may both have a border, but with a completely different style. The button may be rounded while the listbox is square.

Would you draw a border as part of the widget itself (and therefore included as part of the widget's dimensions), or would one have to wrap each item with an explicit frame widget?

Obviously it applies more to your native skin (and your personal preference), as somebody could draw a frame directly on a widget even if you originally did not.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

For instance, a button and a listbox may both have a border, but with a completely different style. The button may be rounded while the listbox is square.

A common base class with border and background properties.

Quote:

Would you draw a border as part of the widget itself (and therefore included as part of the widget's dimensions)

Yes.

Quote:

would one have to wrap each item with an explicit frame widget?

No.

It's simpler to have the widget draw the border itself. It requires fewer resources.

Go to: