Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Allegro 5.0.0 released!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5.0.0 released!
alemart
Member #10,658
February 2009

applause

Thank you for your hard work ;)

Ib Quezada
Member #7,779
September 2006

Congratulations =D

FalseMasterJ
Member #6,642
December 2005

Well done everyone, another accomplishment to put on The Duke Nukem Forever List. :D

The finalization of Allegro 5.0 completely eclipsed the super bowl for me.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

OMG NEW POLL

EDIT: Sorry, I just felt it was worth noting. ;)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm having trouble deciding between "Dangerous," "Thankful," and "Flirty."

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

guilt
Member #2,553
July 2002

Hey Matthew! Thanks for the binaries...

Can you please remove include/physfs.h in the binaries? It's not required.

It would be great if the documentation was available as a separate download package:

HTML/man files are in source.

Link to Tomasu's PDF file: http://www.strangesoft.net/allegro/docs/refman.pdf

P.S.: Is the CHM thing worth committing?

I found it easy to create a CHM file. All we need is to add a .hhp file and make changes to autosuggest.js. Changes are here: http://guilt.bafsoft.net/downloads/dist/Windows/Allegro5/refman/

CHM file is here: http://guilt.bafsoft.net/downloads/dist/Windows/Allegro5/allegro-5.0.0-refman.chm

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

guilt said:

Also, It would be great if the documentation was available as a separate download package. Preferably in PDF also.

I have source packages building from SVN daily, with html docs included. Also a pdf is generated at the same time.

If you want 5.1, just substitute the 5.0 part of the urls with 5.1. To see all of the source packages, just chop off the 5.0.0 bit and browse.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

guilt
Member #2,553
July 2002

Missed the timing :-) I've included your link too!

Michał Cichoń
Member #11,736
March 2010

guilt said:

Can you please remove include/physfs.h in the binaries? It's not required.

Actually it is required. PhysFS header contain fixes to respect Allegro linkage macros. A few lines, but they are relevant.

"God starts from scratch too"
Windows Allegro Build Repo: http://targonski.nazwa.pl/thedmd/allegro/

Ronald Blankendaal
Member #6,561
November 2005

Gratz to everyone involved! Great work!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Great work everyone !

I'm gonna test that big five thing on my fresh install, fear !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I'm having trouble deciding between "Dangerous," "Thankful," and "Flirty."

I went with flirty. It's a tough competition between flirty and thankful.

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

That .chm just says something like "wrong url" here but displays nothing.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

Neat to see this finally released, even though I haven't really been doing much programming lately... or it would be more apt to say, I haven't really been doing much Allegro programming lately. ::)

Maybe now that this is out I'll have to take a look. Kudos to everyone who was involved in making it happen! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

It may be trivial to build on linux but not as trivial as sudo aptitude install allegro5.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I tried porting my game to A5 but it didn't go so well. Originally the game was written using A4 and eventually I ported it to SDL 1.2. Both libraries don't mind using temporary memory bitmaps as buffers which eventually get blit'd to the screen and accordingly I do this a number of times in the game.

My graphics drivers are fairly old so I don't have FBO support and from what I understand any drawing to a texture other than the screen is painfully slow. I attempted to remove as many of the intermediate buffers as possible but doing that requires making a sub-bitmap of the screen so I am forced to know the position the bitmap will be drawn to at the time of creation. In a couple of places I don't know the position till much after the creation time so this is a hard change to make.

Probably when I upgrade ubuntu to the next version, 11.04, I will try again. Also here are a few notes I took during the porting. If these things are still broken the next time I get around to using A5 I may fix them myself.

• sub bitmap destruction is confusing in the docs
    The docs don't explicitly say sub bitmaps should be destroyed.

• packing/unpacking functions for rgb formats would be nice
    I still use packed colors (16 bit) so I copied the 16-bit makecol and getr/g/b functions from a4 to deal with them in a5. I think these could be provided as an addon.

• keyboard repeat state
    There is no way to modify the key repeat state

• al_create_display implicitly sets the target bitmap
    It's debatable whether this is a good idea. The docs do say this occurs but I didn't read them carefully the first time and was confused about how the screen ultimately was set as the target.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Trezker said:

It may be trivial to build on linux but not as trivial as sudo aptitude install allegro5.

So make a Debian package, get it in the repository, keep it up-to-date, and make your fellow apt-getters happy. ???

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

kazzmir said:

There is no way to modify the key repeat state

I think that's handled by the OS this time rather than Allegro IIRC.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

kazzmir said:

It's debatable whether this is a good idea. The docs do say this occurs but I didn't read them carefully the first time and was confused about how the screen ultimately was set as the target.

Maybe it is, but one thing that speaks for it is the idea that you optimise the common case. Most often you'll create a display and want to draw things on there. The easier this is, the less "boiler plate" code you need, which is generally a good thing.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I would lean towards having a function that is more explicit about doing two things at once, something like al_create_display_and_set_target().

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Any word as to when we can expect a printed copy of the new API reference manual? I would buy it. I was going to buy the 4.x version, but I have been working with 5 for a while now. ;)

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Any word as to when we can expect a printed copy of the new API reference manual? I would buy it. I was going to buy the 4.x version

You can buy the Allegro manual? ???

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

All of the installation insructions are on the wiki.
See the Getting Started page
to learn how to compile Allegro and/or
to configure your IDE.

Reference Manual

Paperback, $12.95
International Paperback, $18.95
Hardcover, $29.95

The books are sold (essentially) at cost via Lulu's on demand printing service. Alternatively, you can download the manual as a free PDF at any one of the links. This is the same manual that comes with the Allegro source; the printed books do not contain any original content.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Any word as to when we can expect a printed copy of the new API reference manual?

It should be available by tomorrow.

They are actually pretty good quality if you are into killing trees.

Quote:

insructions

Haha.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I never, EVER noticed that typo. :o

EDIT: In other news, flirty's still winning.

Go to: