Allegro 5.0.0 released!
Peter Wang

The beginnings of Allegro 5 can be traced back to 2002. Today, we are very happy and proud to announce the release of Allegro 5.0.0, the first official release of the 5.0 branch!

You can download it from SourceForge. The reference manual is available online, as is the list of changes.

We would like to thank everyone who has contributed to Allegro during all these years, not only the developers, but the users who have tested pre-releases, reported bugs and submitted patches.

Have fun! There is more to come.

Quote:

Changes from 5.0.0 RC5 to 5.0.0 (February 2011)
===============================================

Color addon:

- Use colour names from CSS. This is the same as the previous list but
with all grey/gray alternatives.

Documentation:

- Minor documentation updates.

MD5SUMS:
43313802e82b62ea5e4e1a78fbd1df59  allegro-5.0.0.7z
99ef472e2f99972d5e833794bf2f57bf  allegro-5.0.0.tar.gz
30aefaebb7a86f0a922311d6b048e7b4  allegro-5.0.0.zip

Elias

So this is it - the big moment we've been waiting for for so many years. And we actually managed to beat DNF :)

Dario ff

*heart attack*

Are you making the official announcement in other sites? :)

Elias said:

And we actually managed to beat DNF

By 3 months. :D

It's awesome to have seen the development of this library. I haven't been around much earlier than the 4.9.10 versions, but I enjoyed testing. :)

Archon

When is Allegro 6 expected?

Zepper

- With respect for an excellent library of so many years, but is this version really better than 4.x.x? Can I do all the stuff from 4.x.x into 5? I see this version as much complex; things you did in previous version with 1 line, now you use much more. ::)

- If the answer is yes (but not a short answer), I'll migrate my program (NES emulator) into 5 with pleasure; otherwise, I'm with Allegro 4. :-X

Dario ff
Zepper said:

things you did in previous version with 1 line, now you use much more. ::)

Most of that stuff is related to input. On the other hand, stuff like blending and such doesn't require any more "set_blender_mode" or "set_alpha_uber_blending_mode" or "draw_next_gen_alpha_sprite". And you can apply transformations to them with no problem. Not to mention you have 3D hardware acceleration, which opens the possibility to integrate a 3D engine into an A5 game. Or just for the sake of speed.

EDIT: And you can use al_get_keyboard_state to use the A5 keyboard in the same way as A4.

tobing

I'm currently porting my (our) 2 games from allegro 4.4 to allegro 5.1, which requires some re-write. But after some testing I would think it's definitely worthwhile. getting hardware acceleration is so much easier, and a lot of things are cleaner designed in allegro 5.

Thanks a lot to all the devs for their continuous work on allegro!

Evert

Isn't this one of the signs of the end of the world?

Dario ff said:

Are you making the official announcement in other sites? :)

Probably should, but let's announce it on the main news page here first.;) Feel free to spread the word to whatever other forums you're on.

Archon said:

In a little under two months, of course.

Zepper said:

is this version really better than 4.x.x?

Yes.

Quote:

Can I do all the stuff from 4.x.x into 5?

Yes and no.
Functionally, yes. literally one-to-one, no.
5.0 doesn't do palette effects, and it doesn't have a MIDI player (yet). On the other hand, you can use PNG files and hardware acceleration directly. Aside from details like that, you can do anything you could with Allegro 4 and more with Allegro 5.

X-G

As a testimonial, I have successfully ported four of Johan Peitz's old Allegro games from Allegro 4 to Allegro 5, some written as far back as 1999 and making heavy use of palette effects. :)

Orusaka

Congratulations, guys! Now I'm just waiting for binaries, and I'll get right to playing around with it.

Elias
X-G said:

As a testimonial, I have successfully ported four of Johan Peitz's old Allegro games from Allegro 4 to Allegro 5

So Icy Tower in the mac store is actually using A5?

X-G

That's right. The same goes for Harold's Hills and two as-of-yet unreleased games.

Michał Cichoń

Allegro build for Windows is available at:
http://77.55.66.239/thedmd/allegro/5.0.0/

Yodhe23

Wow, the al_install_mind_control function is fantastic.... :D

Thomas Fjellstrom

Congrats everyone!

Michael Faerber

Great! And to extract the archive, you don't even have to install LZip ...

Ron Novy

Thank you and congratulations.

Now I have something to do during the super bowl. ::)

kenmasters1976

Wow! Finally!.

Thanks to all devs.

Todd Cope

Thanks everyone! This library is awesome!

Matthew Leverton
Zepper said:

but is this version really better than 4.x.x?

Is HTML better than variables? I don't know.

Archon said:

After next week.

jmasterx
Archon said:

In exactly 1 Valve week

Matthew Leverton

Windows binaries are up and the online manual has been updated to 5.0.0.

Trezker

So we got windows binaries, but where are the debs and rpms?

Matthew Leverton

It's trivial to compile on Linux.

Polybios

Great work guys! :D

alemart

applause

Thank you for your hard work ;)

Ib Quezada

Congratulations =D

FalseMasterJ

Well done everyone, another accomplishment to put on The Duke Nukem Forever List. :D

The finalization of Allegro 5.0 completely eclipsed the super bowl for me.

Dario ff

OMG NEW POLL

EDIT: Sorry, I just felt it was worth noting. ;)

Mark Oates

I'm having trouble deciding between "Dangerous," "Thankful," and "Flirty."

guilt

Hey Matthew! Thanks for the binaries...

Can you please remove include/physfs.h in the binaries? It's not required.

It would be great if the documentation was available as a separate download package:

HTML/man files are in source.

Link to Tomasu's PDF file: http://www.strangesoft.net/allegro/docs/refman.pdf

P.S.: Is the CHM thing worth committing?

I found it easy to create a CHM file. All we need is to add a .hhp file and make changes to autosuggest.js. Changes are here: http://guilt.bafsoft.net/downloads/dist/Windows/Allegro5/refman/

CHM file is here: http://guilt.bafsoft.net/downloads/dist/Windows/Allegro5/allegro-5.0.0-refman.chm

Thomas Fjellstrom
guilt said:

Also, It would be great if the documentation was available as a separate download package. Preferably in PDF also.

I have source packages building from SVN daily, with html docs included. Also a pdf is generated at the same time.

If you want 5.1, just substitute the 5.0 part of the urls with 5.1. To see all of the source packages, just chop off the 5.0.0 bit and browse.

guilt

Missed the timing :-) I've included your link too!

Michał Cichoń
guilt said:

Can you please remove include/physfs.h in the binaries? It's not required.

Actually it is required. PhysFS header contain fixes to respect Allegro linkage macros. A few lines, but they are relevant.

Ronald Blankendaal

Gratz to everyone involved! Great work!

GullRaDriel

Great work everyone !

I'm gonna test that big five thing on my fresh install, fear !

Dario ff

I'm having trouble deciding between "Dangerous," "Thankful," and "Flirty."

I went with flirty. It's a tough competition between flirty and thankful.

Elias

That .chm just says something like "wrong url" here but displays nothing.

Kris Asick

Neat to see this finally released, even though I haven't really been doing much programming lately... or it would be more apt to say, I haven't really been doing much Allegro programming lately. ::)

Maybe now that this is out I'll have to take a look. Kudos to everyone who was involved in making it happen! ;)

Trezker

It may be trivial to build on linux but not as trivial as sudo aptitude install allegro5.

kazzmir

I tried porting my game to A5 but it didn't go so well. Originally the game was written using A4 and eventually I ported it to SDL 1.2. Both libraries don't mind using temporary memory bitmaps as buffers which eventually get blit'd to the screen and accordingly I do this a number of times in the game.

My graphics drivers are fairly old so I don't have FBO support and from what I understand any drawing to a texture other than the screen is painfully slow. I attempted to remove as many of the intermediate buffers as possible but doing that requires making a sub-bitmap of the screen so I am forced to know the position the bitmap will be drawn to at the time of creation. In a couple of places I don't know the position till much after the creation time so this is a hard change to make.

Probably when I upgrade ubuntu to the next version, 11.04, I will try again. Also here are a few notes I took during the porting. If these things are still broken the next time I get around to using A5 I may fix them myself.

• sub bitmap destruction is confusing in the docs
    The docs don't explicitly say sub bitmaps should be destroyed.

• packing/unpacking functions for rgb formats would be nice
    I still use packed colors (16 bit) so I copied the 16-bit makecol and getr/g/b functions from a4 to deal with them in a5. I think these could be provided as an addon.

• keyboard repeat state
    There is no way to modify the key repeat state

• al_create_display implicitly sets the target bitmap
    It's debatable whether this is a good idea. The docs do say this occurs but I didn't read them carefully the first time and was confused about how the screen ultimately was set as the target.

Matthew Leverton
Trezker said:

It may be trivial to build on linux but not as trivial as sudo aptitude install allegro5.

So make a Debian package, get it in the repository, keep it up-to-date, and make your fellow apt-getters happy. ???

Dario ff
kazzmir said:

There is no way to modify the key repeat state

I think that's handled by the OS this time rather than Allegro IIRC.

Evert
kazzmir said:

It's debatable whether this is a good idea. The docs do say this occurs but I didn't read them carefully the first time and was confused about how the screen ultimately was set as the target.

Maybe it is, but one thing that speaks for it is the idea that you optimise the common case. Most often you'll create a display and want to draw things on there. The easier this is, the less "boiler plate" code you need, which is generally a good thing.

kazzmir

I would lean towards having a function that is more explicit about doing two things at once, something like al_create_display_and_set_target().

Don Freeman

Any word as to when we can expect a printed copy of the new API reference manual? I would buy it. I was going to buy the 4.x version, but I have been working with 5 for a while now. ;)

Evert

Any word as to when we can expect a printed copy of the new API reference manual? I would buy it. I was going to buy the 4.x version

You can buy the Allegro manual? ???

Dario ff

All of the installation insructions are on the wiki.
See the Getting Started page
to learn how to compile Allegro and/or
to configure your IDE.

Reference Manual

Paperback, $12.95
International Paperback, $18.95
Hardcover, $29.95

The books are sold (essentially) at cost via Lulu's on demand printing service. Alternatively, you can download the manual as a free PDF at any one of the links. This is the same manual that comes with the Allegro source; the printed books do not contain any original content.

Matthew Leverton

Any word as to when we can expect a printed copy of the new API reference manual?

It should be available by tomorrow.

They are actually pretty good quality if you are into killing trees.

Quote:

insructions

Haha.

Dario ff

I never, EVER noticed that typo. :o

EDIT: In other news, flirty's still winning.

Trent Gamblin

I picked angry >:(.

Evert

Ah, I see.
But if you want those, can't you just send the PDF off to Lulu yourself?

Matthew Leverton
Evert said:

But if you want those, can't you just send the PDF off to Lulu yourself?

You could, but the slight markup to round it up to a "normal" number is probably worth not having to spend the time to create cover art, set up a project, etc.

Mark Oates

{"name":"603328","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/6\/b6cecd61a9b6c8516f312117adca8ee6.png","w":259,"h":334,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/6\/b6cecd61a9b6c8516f312117adca8ee6"}603328
"cover art"

Dario ff

And in hardcover no less! ;)

Matthew Leverton
Quote:

"cover art"

I worked hard on that professional art. >:( ;D

Just having somebody else go through Lulu's horrible cover creator thingy and project wizard is worth 25 cents. :-X

Dario ff

I love the attachment's name. ;D

Crazy Photon

Congratulations to everyone involved! I donated a few bucks to the project.

AMCerasoli

Why the squares? I don't know...

{"name":"rm5.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/1\/212aa7c22186d00b5b0b525bb5410ad8.png","w":998,"h":1258,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/1\/212aa7c22186d00b5b0b525bb5410ad8"}rm5.png

Sirocco

Interesting.

Trent Gamblin

For God's sake, use AMCERASOLI's cover...

Elias

For God's sake, use AMCERASOLI's cover...

I improved it a bit...

{"name":"603331","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/c\/dc6c5f87cb133583430627d3bcbf2919.png","w":998,"h":1258,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/c\/dc6c5f87cb133583430627d3bcbf2919"}603331

Michał Cichoń

OMG! Good one ;)

guilt

Michał/Trent,

You had mentioned that physfs.h macros were needed to fix certain things.

[edit] I take that back. Saw it in examples...
@Trent: can't we still use macros to alias those functions to different versions internally? Based on STATICLINK / EXPORT / whatever kludges etc.... Then we can completely eliminate the header! It may just serve a cosmetic purpose at the moment, but can come in handy when updating our addon code.
[/edit]

Elias,

It's a Windows feature :( Verbatim Googled Solution:

Run Windows Explorer, right-click on the CHM file, and select Properties from the popup menu. Click on the Unblock button immediately below the Advanced button on the General page. Click Apply to show the content. Once the CHM file has been unblocked, the Unblock button disappears

Trent Gamblin

PHYSFS_addToSearchPath and PHYSFS_init are required to use the physfs addon, and they're declared in the physfs header.

AMCerasoli

Oh yeah? Edit this..

video

;D;D

Samuel Henderson

Congratulations guys!

Paul whoknows

It finally happened! Congratulations! :)

Elias

Oh yeah? Edit this..

Oh no, all the allegators who got crushed...

Audric

I admit I don't use Allegro much anymore, but I wanted to send thanks to all people who keep bringing Allegro to the present. It's quite an accomplishment for a MSDOS library to get there, especially when passing through so many hands.
Congratulations to all !

bamccaig

\o/

Goalie Ca

Congrats!!!!!

De Baimbo

It's been so long since the last time I posted on here, but I kept following the developing of my favourite library constantly. And one day, maybe in few months, I'll start using it again. I'm just dropping a line to say how much I appreciate your work. Keep it going, guys.

Ron Novy

Makes me wonder about what Shawn Hargreaves has been up to and what he thinks about all this. Haven't seen him here in a long time...

Matthew Leverton

He (I assume) wrote this in the Allegro FAQ:

Quote:

Will you ever add support for 3D accelerator hardware?

No. This sort of hardware support would be most useful as part of a proper 3D API, which Allegro is not, and will never be.

So that's what he thinks of us. ;)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/

Ron Novy

He's alive! :D

There was a VBE/AF driver, but VBE/AF always sucked...

Quote:

* On the subject of VBE/AF in general:
* Kendall Bennett and Tom Ryan of SciTech software deserve
* significant thanks for coming up with such a magnificent API and
* then helping me write this driver, after the VESA people (may they
* be smitten with plagues of locusts and then develop subtle memory
* leaks in their code :-) decided to charge stupid sums of money for
* copies of the /AF specification. Unfortunately, SciTech have
* subsequently abandoned VBE/AF in favour of a closed, proprietary
* system called Nucleus. Ah well, I'm sure that this makes sense
* for them in commercial terms, even if it is something of a
* disappointment for us idealistic hacker types...
* The problem with Nucleus is that the spec is only available under
* NDA, so I cannot support it directly in Allegro. The plan,
* therefore, is to write a Nucleus to VBE/AF wrapper driver.
* This requires a few callback routines that stock VBE/AF doesn't
* provide, hence the Nucleus-specific extensions in this file. It
* doesn't provide direct Nucleus support, but hopefully will enable
* someone (whether us or SciTech) to add that support in the future
* via an external driver binary.
* By Shawn Hargreaves.

After reading that, I don't blame him for not wanting to add support for 3D acceleration. Back then it would have been a real pain to write and support too. But today, with OpenGL, we have a nice cross-platform way to deal with hardware... So in my opinion, there really isn't any big argument against adding hardware acceleration or 3D acceleration to Allegro.

Just need to wait for things to mature before you say 'never'... ::)

Elias

He indirectly influenced some stuff in A5 - e.g. his change of the default blending mode from linear alpha to pre-multiplied alpha in XNA 4 made me realize the difference (and slight advantage) so Allegro 5 also uses pre-multiplied by default now :)

William Labbett

\O/ cool. No more recompiling the svn and rc versions!

Well done guys.

Andrei Ellman

Congratulations \o/ /°\ \o/

Evert said:

5.0 doesn't do palette effects

Is this just things like fades, or are we talking about code that relies on colourmap-tables?

Evert

Is this just things like fades, or are we talking about code that relies on colourmap-tables?

There are no palettes, no bitmaps that index colour entries from a palette, no palette graphics modes.

Dennis

A5! Belated congratulations everyone.

Recompiled my current project (previously used 4.9.<something> from SVN) yesterday.

Everything fine except for one minor thing:
All my bitmap font output suddenly wasn't with a transparent background anymore and instead was rendered opaque(-ish) over the black target with a pink background (alpha = 0 though).

I had chosen that pink(255,0,255,0) as background for nostalgic reasons in my bitmap font generation routine, assuming that with an alpha of 0 it would never show anyway (and that worked with 4.9) but not in 5 anymore.

Playing around a bit with al_set_blender, more specifically, using al_set_blender(ALLEGRO_ADD, ALLEGRO_ALPHA, ALLEGRO_INVERSE_ALPHA);
I could get it back to rendering exactly as in 4.9. Another solution which seemed to have the same effect was to change the transparent background of the font to (0,0,0,0) and not explicitly use al_set_blender at all.

Elias said:

so Allegro 5 also uses pre-multiplied by default now

I really wish I had read that earlier. That's what I get for not reading the changelogs thoroughly.

lillo

Late to the party, but here I am...

Congrats to all the devs! A5 looks beautiful, and a much needed revamp, critical to attract new devs and to be competitive again today.

I have been hanging around the community for the last 5 years or so, but real life issues have left me with no time to really get involved either with Allegro, either with anything else that wasn't related to my job; despite this, I hope I will find the time to write something using A5 sooner or later.

So congrats all!

PS: haven't seen the news about A5 on gamedev.net or any other significant site... time for the PR team (!) to start moving?

Elias
lillo said:

time for the PR team (!) to start moving

Indeed. All the allegro.cc users are the PR team btw. whether they knew it or not :)

Dennis
lillo said:

haven't seen the news about A5 on gamedev.net or any other significant site

So, you're thinking of the GDR as insignificant, eh? .. Noted. (well actually I hope it stays that way ;D )

Elias

Haha, I like the "(fore real)" in the post title there :)

Peter Wang

I wonder how many of the old timers check what's happening every now and again. Surely they're not that busy. Hi, lillo :)

Don Freeman

Did the issue of creating a new display at a certain position ever get fixed/solved? I know if works on Windows now, but I thought I remembered it wasn't guarantied to work on all platforms...It would be awesome if it did, could really come in handy in my current project, if not...there are other ways to do what I want, but it would be a lot simpler though.

Evert

Did the issue of creating a new display at a certain position ever get fixed/solved? I know if works on Windows now, but I thought I remembered it wasn't guarantied to work on all platforms...It would be awesome if it did, could really come in handy in my current project, if not...there are other ways to do what I want, but it would be a lot simpler though.

Works on OS X, not sure about X11, but I'd think so.

Rampage

Congratulations to all the developers! This is great for the community.

Don Freeman
Evert said:

Works on OS X, not sure about X11, but I'd think so.

If so, making a GUI for Allegro 5 would be a lot simpler as well. ;) When I get some more time, I'll try it out on Linux as well.

Evert

The only reason I don't know about X11 is because I don't have an X11 build of Allegro to test it with. The X11 port is probably the best tested of the three major ports (Windows, OS X, X11) though.

An Ly

OMG, so no more alleggl? Yayer!

Well done guys. Allegro got me into programming games and I've neglected her for a few years but I may have to come visit again.

Billybob

Wooo! Many thanks to all the developers!

Stefan Hendriks

Very late reply, but great to see finally it has arrived.

Too bad about the palette stuff not being in. My game heavily uses that to map team colors on units and structures. Is there any way to 'solve' this team mapping problem with Allegro 5?

Dennis

If you're using an OpenGL display, glPixelMap can be used to remap individual colors. Don't know if there is something similar for DirectX.

Stefan Hendriks

Well, I don't want to use any underlying implementation that Allegro might use. If possible I'd use Allegro functions. :)

Dennis

In that case, I can think of two other ways to achieve team color drawing.

One would be to keep multiple different bitmaps in memory (one for each different team color) but you'd have to do the remapping yourself after loading the image by directly replacing the pixels in the copies.

The other method would be to have additional transparent bitmaps for each frame of everything, which just contain the parts to be rendered in the team color in gray scale and then use al_draw_tinted_bitmap to render them over the base frame.

Stefan Hendriks

The second method sounds the most 'logical' to me. In fact, I could combine two methods by pre-processing images. Thanks! It will take a long time before I'll upgrade to Allegro 4, I want to seperate Allegro (or whatever library implementation) from my Game layer so theoretically I could use other libraries if needed (ie, if i'd like to port it to android). But the first step would be to go Allegro 5 :)

Peter Wang

For the former, it might be worth modifying one of the existing image loaders to accept a custom palette, then do the remapping while loading. It might be easier than remapping after the colour indices have been lost.

Elias

Independent from that we also want to add an 8-bit format for ALLEGRO_BITMAP. It could use GL_LUMINANCE and save quite a bit of memory for big fonts if we can have fonts using that instead of rgba. Could also have an 8-bit 332 color format which is supported by some devices. Those two should be quite simple to add.

And once we have them instead of accepting a palette image loaders could just check a flag to ignore the palette info and instead directly map each pixel to the 8-bit format. (In fact that flag could even work with 16/32 bit already just would be more wasteful.)

Thomas Fjellstrom

Tinted bitmap drawing is probably "free" enough that it might be faster to just use that, rather than trying to preload images.

Trent Gamblin

It may be something you're not interested in, but Allegro 5.1 (SVN) has a shader addon that could easily do this sort of thing and basically any type of palette effect. It's not as well supported or as easy as just tinting a bitmap, but it does offer more flexibility. But again, if you're sticking to 5.0 it's not in there.

Peter Wang

Elias's suggestion was the missing piece to go with shaders, which I'm sure is what he had in mind.

For interest's sake, assuming we didn't have that, what would be the best way to implement the pixel shader? I can think of a couple of ways (e.g. exclusively use the red value as the colour index; or remapping only pixels which are pure green) but they don't seem satisfactory in general.

Mike Farrell

I owe my learning of C and programming over 10 years ago to the allegro library. I'm glad to see it evolve. Being that I was never one of the proponents of the API change, I never did learn the new version, but I wish you guys lots of luck getting it out there.

Don Freeman

Have noticed an issue when you toggle the fullscreen mode on/off...It goes to fullscreen fine, but when it comes back then window looks like this:
The screen size is 800x600. Actually, I noticed that the fullscreen mode is not actually 800x600 either, it's the desktop resolution. :-/

Matthew Leverton

Actually, I noticed that the fullscreen mode is not actually 800x600 either, it's the desktop resolution.

Are you using ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW? That's how it works.

Don Freeman

Yeah, how do I actually get a fullscreen mode and then switch back to windowed mode correctly then? Also, is there a way to do something with the second display when in fullscreen mode? It get's all jacked up too...I know this is a driver issue, just wondering. Oh, and how to get the actually desktop's resolution like pre-A5's get_desktop_resolution() function?

Matthew Leverton

Yeah, how do I actually get a fullscreen mode and then switch back to windowed mode correctly then?

Create an ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN, destroy it, and create an ALLEGRO_WINDOWED.

http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/605953

Don Freeman

That was my first guess, but I thought there was a better way...oh well.

Trumgottist

Congrats!

Don Freeman

I get a forbidden error message from the link to the pre-compiled window's versions at Michał Cichoń's site. I've downloaded it before, but not on this computer. :-/

Matthew Leverton

The same files are here.

Bob

My first impressions of A5 is "woah, the (Windows) build seems much more complicated now". Is there an existing step-by-step installation guide for getting Allegro configured and running on Windows, including builds of the examples & demos, for dummies like me?

I have failed to get a working x64 build in MSVC 10 Express. Will retry tomorrow with MSVC 9 Pro.

Matthew Leverton

Install all dependencies, set paths, etc.

cd allegro
mkdir build
cmake ..
nmake

A while ago I got a 4.9 x64 build working by building regular 32-bit MSVC project files, and then upgrading the build to x64 from in the IDE.

kingcools

sadly this does not work for me :/

Edgar Reynaldo
kingcools said:

sadly this does not work for me :/

Well, if you want help, you are going to have to be more specific than 'it doesn't work'. What steps did you take, and what errors occurred?

MiquelFire

The Express version of MSVC (May have changed with 2010) doesn't support 64-bit natively, and require some work just to have it compile 64 bit (Maybe to the point that running Linux is easier ::) )

I do not know the process if it is possible to enable 64 bit on Express editions.

torhu

Why would you need to compile a Windows game in 64 bit mode?

OnurGumus

I just wondered my member number ;D

KaBlammyman

I leave the forums for years, and when I come back, there's a NEW Allegro? whats is the world coming to??

Seriously, great work guys 8-)

Thread #606324. Printed from Allegro.cc