Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Anyone know of movies like Fight Club?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Anyone know of movies like Fight Club?
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

video

Philosophical ones. For instance, Fight Club has large doses of anti-consumerism and nihilistic thoughts on purpose.

I'd love to watch some more movies or read some more literature dealing with those topics or others that you find interesting. I'm not a big fan of large novels or books due to the time investment but I'll still hear you out!

p.s. On a side note: Pans Labyrinth is unsettling. :o

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Donnie Darko?

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I hate to reply so quick but:

Donnie Darko?

I hate this movie. It was fun as a angst-ridden teenager because it was dark, but all I got from it was "The world would be better off if I was dead. So I'll fix that [by killing myself]." Which I find repulsive (as someone who dealt with suicidal thoughts as a teen). Perhaps there's more to it I do not understand, however.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Perhaps there's more to it I do not understand, however.

There is.

The director wrote and published a synopsis of it which I have buried in my 78987 bookmarks. If I get around to looking for it, I'll post it here.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Please do! I'd love to read it then.

I'm in a bit of a soul searching state, and it always helps to have a song, movie, or other piece of literature that sums up what you're thinking (even though you can't put words to it yet).

-----sig:

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Cube.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

---

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

edit: The Fountain.
edit2: Also PI, which is also by Aaronofsky...

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Inception.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

The Shawshank Redemption ???

I don't reflect on how philosophical movies are and don't look for hidden meanings or references to other stuff...

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Pi sucked. From the title screen, I knew I was in for a stinker, when they couldn't even put enough effort into determining just what the value of pi actually is:

{"name":"pi-4.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a88102c5d104534d186ab2d0efbcdcc9.jpg","w":720,"h":539,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a88102c5d104534d186ab2d0efbcdcc9"}pi-4.jpg

"Just bang on the keyboard, nobody will notice!"

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Though I haven't seen it yet, a friend of mine recommended it to me and I'm going to watch it as soon as I'll have some time to spare: Письма мёртвoгo челoвека (Dead man's letters).

Or, if you feel like it, you can try Сталкер (Stalker). I can also recommend the book on which the film is based upon: Arkady and Boris Strugatsky - Пикник на oбoчине (A Roadside picnic).

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Fight Club is pretty much a one-of-a-kind movie. But for some philosophical thriller/action movies, I can recommend Park Chan-wook's Vengeance trilogy. And Dead Man's Shoes while we're at it.

OICW said:

Письма мёртвoгo челoвека

When I discovered it on [movie recommendation site] with the description "Has been described as one of the most depressing movies ever made" and realized that that it was Soviet post-apoc, I knew I had to see it. :)
And it is wonderfully bleak, but I felt it was a bit too artsy.
(BTW, I briefly had an avatar from it: avatar_letters_from_a_dead_man.png)

Quote:

Or, if you feel like it, you can try Сталкер (Stalker). I can also recommend the book on which the film is based upon: Arkady and Boris Strugatsky - Пикник на oбoчине (A Roadside picnic).

Both seconded. The film is extremely loosely based on the book though. They vaguely share the same premise (a cordoned-off zone with [REDACTED] inside), and that is all.
And don't expect too much action from the film. In fact, almost nothing happens during the entire movie. Somehow I still like it though, probably because the photography is gorgeous: you can pretty much take any frame from the movie, print it out, frame it and hang it up as art. :)

LennyLen said:

In Bruges

In Bruges is absolutely awesome. I don't know how philosophical it really is (I might subscribe to the idea that Hell is an eternity in Belgium though), but that doesn't matter. It's a must-see anyway.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

gnolam said:

And don't expect too much action from the film. In fact, almost nothing happens during the entire movie.

Quite true, this is one of a few films where I didn't mind long camera pans. It all adds up to the atmosphere.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I would suggest Shutter Island, quite the experience.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Twelve Monkeys
and In Bruges as mentioned above.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Twelve monkeys reminds me of another film by Terry Gilliam: Brazil.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Another movie is Choke. It and Fight Club are both based on novels by the same author.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I can't believe you guys are breaking the one rule of Fight Club[1].

References

1. someone had to mention it ;D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

the one rule

Yeah, it's the one rule, if you ignore the other 6. :P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Sory, I got the line wrong, its the First rule of Fight Club. (and its 8).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Also the second rule of the Fight Club ;)

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I said the other 6. You covered the first 2, leaving 6 others. :P

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

The fabric of our society is breaking down!

-----sig:

1   2 

Go to: