Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » It's Been Fun, Goodbye

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
It's Been Fun, Goodbye
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

One does not simply walk out of a.cc

Nope. There's some button-clicking involved.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Dennis said:

Let's check if there's a pattern. The first one was in late 2001 (12/2001), the second one in early 2003 (03/2003), the third one in late 2006 (10/2006) and this one in late 2010 (12/2010).

If you look at the years you get a(n) = n*n - a(n-1) and then add 2000

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I don't get that either. You obviously don't know C.

I think I do know C. I've read the complete C99 standard multiple times for one reason or another. There's things I wouldn't know without looking them up like strict aliasing but I'd put those things mostly under compiler differences. So I guess I can say I know like 95% of C. Compared to that I do know about 20% of the C++98 standard and probably about 5% of C++1x. So I don't know the latter two at all basically. While I now could code a bit of C++ it would mean I'd constantly look up the things I don't know and waste a lot of time doing so. I'd learn more and more of it, but in the bits I've seen I already saw some major design flaws - and so I have no desire to know more of the language - I would consider it a waste of time. I preferred to switch to Python instead which is a whole new level when it comes to how advanced a language is.

Quote:

And eventually start thinking completely OO instead of procedural.

Well, procedural is the much better choice for some things. It always depends what you are working on, but in a bigger project you likely can't rigidly apply one paradigm. Myself I do use a lot of OO though. But the syntactic additions which C++ has to make OO supposedly easier just seem all so badly done to me, right ideas but followed through in ad hoc and wrong ways.

Quote:

I know this is not quite a one dimensional thing, but I feel I'm somewhere in the middle. I think I know what I should change in my coding style to get rid of C and go total C++. So far I haven't felt the need to do it. But I would never go back to plain C and stop creating C++ classes for this and that just because I don't use application classes or polymorphism or whatnot.

My C code used polymorphism a lot (before I switched to Python) so that's not a reason to go C++ :P But of course for a large part it's a personal preference that I don't like C++ - I simply happen to dislike complicated things. It's also why I like Lua, even it's a bit weird (variables are global by default? arrays starting with 1?) but if you ignore the closures it's a really simple language.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Dennis said:

Hm... nope no pattern there. Or none that is too obvious.

Let's see... 15, 44, 51. The first digit is in fact a fibonacci-like sequence An = (An-1 + An-2) % 10, with A0 = 1 and A1 = 4. 1 + 4 = 5. So the next ten's digit must be 9. The second digits follow the reverse sequence, so the definition is something like An = (10 - An-1 - An-2) % 10. Next one's digit by this logic is 4. So I say we're going to see another similar thread in 94 months, thus at the end of 2017.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

So based on your pattern detection when do you think we should expect the thread to re occur by the original poster?

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So based on your pattern detection when do you think we should expect the thread to re occur by the original poster?

So I say we're going to see another similar thread in 94 months, thus at the end of 2017.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Interesting... maybe by 2017 A5 will have that al_create_game() method. (No I don't have anything even remotely meaningful to contribute.)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dennis said:

Interesting... maybe by 2017 A5 will have that al_create_game() method. (No I don't have anything even remotely meaningful to contribute.)

By 2017 we might have an Allegro 6, so anything is possible.

If you calculate in the advancements from Allegro 3 to Allegro 4, and then Allegro 4 to Allegro 5, well, its nearly an exponential scale. Of course its taken about 6-8 years of any work at all to get Allegro 5 to where it is. So to get an Allegro 6 out the door by 2017, we'd probably need to start now.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

So to get an Allegro 6 out the door by 2017, we'd probably need to start now.

I'll start:

void al_create_game()
{
   // todo
}

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

That wont do... I will expand it a bit:

typedef enum GameType
{
  Rpg,
  Monday,
  Wednesday,
  RTS
};

void al_create_game (GameType type)
{
  // todo
}

In capitalist America bank robs you.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

We sure we want to make this a void function?

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Great, here are my contributions... good point about the void return type.

#SelectExpand
1typedef enum GameType 2{ 3 MMORPG, 4 Monday, 5 Wednesday, 6 RTS, 7 YoMommaWouldLikeIt, 8 MinecraftClone, 9 CrappyMiniGameLookingLikeNoEffortAtAllWentIntoItsCreation, 10 YetAnotherGameNobodyWantsToPlay, 11 TicTacToe, 12 Tetris, 13 SomeAdultStuff // may be combined with any of the other game types 14}; 15 16GAME* al_create_game(GameType type) 17{ 18 // todo 19 return NULL; 20}

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Somebody should just write a minimalist pong clone, compile it into allegro-game-5.1.so, and make the entry point al_create_game(). ;) It would be a fun inside joke to use whenever. It would certainly put allegro ahead when n00bs ask how hard it is to create a game with Allegro. ;D

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You assume they know how to link against a library.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yeah, you're right. :-/ Hold on, I have the C standards committee on the phone...

You know, we could patch GCC and MinGW to link to preinstalled Allegro libraries by default... For teh n00bs. I'm not going to do it, but you feel free. :P

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

This was so Funny I had a nice evil Laugh going.

quitting is for the weak. the strong adjust an keep trucking.

This remides me of the Simson EP where homer was trying to get a cup cake out of a Boobytraped ice box that shocked him when he touched it.

It also reminds we when i had to convice a girl in college not to give up her programing 4 year degree when she has only one semester left Todo.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Hmm. I first used C++ more than 12 years ago, and I still don't know it very well. Should I quit too?

-----------

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

piccolo said:

the strong adjust an keep trucking.

He goes do something he enjoys and is better at. Don't you think that counts as adjusting?

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Vanneto said:

He goes do something he enjoys and is better at. Don't you think that counts as adjusting?

Take Me for example. My spelling is crap.

piccolo said:

This remides me of the Simson EP where homer was trying to get a cup cake out of a Boobytraped ice box that shocked him when he touched it.

I used a word that was easier to spell. at work I use text to speach apps to make sure I got the right words.

Take for example that girl i talked out. With the her degree she can become a business analyses, or a project manager. These job are still in the field but do less programing.

wow

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Using an easier word doesn't make it right. There is a huge difference between an icebox and a cupcake. :P

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I was stuck on why an ice box would shock somebody, then I realized he meant "refrigerator".

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

in some countries its called an ice box

wow

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

piccolo said:

in some countries its called an ice box

An ice box is, exactly as it says, a box with ice in it. It's not synonymous with "refrigerator".*

They may be used interchangeably in some places, though.

* Funnily enough, I had to use Firefox's spell checker to spell "refrigerator" properly.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

An ice box is, exactly as it says, a box with ice in it. [en.wikipedia.org] It's not synonymous with "refrigerator".*

Refrigerators used to be iceboxes. They have since evolved, but they were called ice boxes for ages after they stopped using ice directly to cool things.

--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

It's not synonymous with "refrigerator".

I think his point was that in some languages it's the literal translation of refrigerator.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: