This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
It's Been Fun, Goodbye
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

CGamesPlay said:

OH LOOK. It's THIS thread again.

Oh, right. He keeps changing his name, so I had forgotten who the OP was. :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Common guys, don't just talk about it. Share with us the history of Allegro.cc!

In capitalist America bank robs you.

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Programming isn't for everyone.

I have tried (unsuccessfully) to encourage friends with a passing interest to take it up.

But you have to LOVE it. Even if you only enjoy it a bit you won't find much success.

Good luck with everything.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

This doesn't make sense to me. 12 years to learn C++.

Obviously C++ isn't for anyone but I think you might be exaggerating a bit.
If you have been learning continously for 12 years i'm pretty sure you have learned something, perhaps you are not at the level where you which to be and thus are considering yourself a failure because of that.

Not everyone on here is an expert programmer, I've been learning for the last 10 years and I'm not an expert programmer, I can make programs that work but my style sometimes includes a lot of hacks often.

With that said, good luck on your new adventures in cooking, I can see you using some of your programming knowledge in the cooking field. Exactly how? I'm sure if something thinks hard enough ideas will come.

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

but my style sometimes includes a lot of hacks often.

I think that's the way it works. A programming language is a hack. It's a way for a human to understand binary.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Good luck.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Firstly, I don't think fruitcake will be part of the cooking curriculum. Secondly, I don't need to get "Picking up women in 21 days" as I'm married and have a 5 year old son. Thirdly, I'm not exaggerating on the 12 years, I started learning C++ in August of 97 and can do silly things with it but I have just got to a point where I am tired of trying to become good with it or programming. I'm 29 years old now and have wasted 12 years trying to learn C++, where as I'm already a good cook and love cooking so I'm just going for something that I already know how to do.

Actually, no this isn't the same old thread. I've already wiped my HDD on the desktop and gave it to my wife to use. Programming was the only reason I had the computer, and don't need it to pursue cooking (cept to find recipes) so I'm giving it to her for her yahoo, facebook, webshots, and movies(which reminds me I have to buy a new DVD burner to replace the one in the tower already). Might come and visit once in a while but pretty doubtful since I seldom visited here when I was trying to program. Well, like I said, it's been fun, bye.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

"Programming is too hard :( "

{"name":"sad-guy.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/0\/90903f006be1b47cfcc1c0d258a231cb.jpg","w":480,"h":318,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/0\/90903f006be1b47cfcc1c0d258a231cb"}sad-guy.jpg

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

where as I'm already a good cook and love cooking so I'm just going for something that I already know how to do.

A word of caution then. I knew a guy who was a good and passionate amateur cook. His dream was to become a professional cook and work in a restaurant, so he tried to get a certificate.
He hated every minute of it and ultimately quit, deciding to do something else and keep the thing he loved as a hobby rather than start hating it. That may have been him and may not apply to you. Just be aware that you may end up not liking it as much as you think you will. There is something to be said for keeping things that you're passionate about as your hobby rather than your job.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If I wrote a sucky novel in English, would any of you tell me I should learn Spanish? That's essentially what's going on in cases like this.

People focus on the language too much. Programming is more about the art than the language.

Evert said:

There is something to be said for keeping things that you're passionate about as your hobby rather than your job.

I agree. A job should about making the most money for the least amount of work. 8-)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Matthew, any tips on how one can achieve something close that?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I tried to learn C++ for 2 years once then gave up and barely touched it since. My personal favorite language is Python now (A5 comes with an (almost complete) Python wrapper). Also one of the biggest plus points of Python to me is the indentation - I can grasp the block structure at a glance without all those confusing { and }. But I doubt it would make a difference for the OP... the basics of making a simple game like say pacman are about the same in any programming language.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Shravan
Member #10,724
February 2009

I your novel is sucky in a particular language perhaps the reason might be you are not very expressive.While changing the language may not guarantee a success, moving from c++ to any other programming language is relatively easier than learning english and moving to Spanish IMO.

Matthew, any tips on how one can achieve something close that?

Gambling, drugs :P.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Shravan said:

Gambling, drugs .

Or politics.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Trying to write a novel in, let's say Latin, or Ancient Greek, might be difficult. Try English first, which is simpler ;-).

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

So long, Stupid.

:P

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Vanneto said:

Common guys, don't just talk about it. Share with us the history of Allegro.cc!

Use the search, Luke!
(Try threads started by the OP and, say, "goodbye" as the keyword.)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Not everyone on here is an expert programmer

WRONG

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Here little trolly, have some food.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

One

Two

Don't feel bad about not getting anywhere with programming since most programming jobs have said goodbye and left to India.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Yes, it's this thread again. When is it religion's turn again? Poor world cup gets its turn only every 4th year.

Elias said:

I tried to learn C++ for 2 years once then gave up and barely touched it since.

I don't get that either. You obviously don't know C. I learned C++ after C and therefore I might have a C way of writing C++. And I bet I'm not the only one. For me C++ is nothing else than a superset of C. Anyone can take anything from C++ and use it in best ways. The more you take, the more you might turn your way of thinking. And eventually start thinking completely OO instead of procedural. I know this is not quite a one dimensional thing, but I feel I'm somewhere in the middle. I think I know what I should change in my coding style to get rid of C and go total C++. So far I haven't felt the need to do it. But I would never go back to plain C and stop creating C++ classes for this and that just because I don't use application classes or polymorphism or whatnot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Yes, it's this thread again. When is it religion's turn again? Poor world cup gets its turn only every 4th year.

It's always religion's turn.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

gnolam said:

(Try threads started by the OP and, say, "goodbye" as the keyword.)

Oh,
I
see.

Let's check if there's a pattern. The first one was in late 2001 (12/2001), the second one in early 2003 (03/2003), the third one in late 2006 (10/2006) and this one in late 2010 (12/2010).

So:
12/2001
03/2003 time since previous thread: 14 or 15 months
10/2006 time since previous thread: 43 or 44 months
12/2010 time since previous thread: 50 or 51 months

Hm... nope no pattern there. Or none that is too obvious.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

If you use a super computer to crunch that data you may be able to find some patterns.

But seriously the question I would ask to my friend is what kept you coming back to programming? Just curious, did you enjoy it, enjoy trying to conquer something difficult, wanted to do it for career purposes, loved the allegro community too much to leave, etc? Just curious

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

He'll be back.

One does not simply walk out of a.cc

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

1   2   3   4 

Go to: