Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » It's Been Fun, Goodbye

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
It's Been Fun, Goodbye
Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

After spending 12 years trying to learn C++ unsuccessfully. 9 of those years while being here. I have decided to focus on my other loves in life (besides my family) and give up once and for all on programming. I'm going into the culinary arts (cooking) and who knows, maybe one day you all will be stopping by a place I cook at and own? Oh well like I said, it has truly been fun getting to know everyone over the past 9 years and wish every one the best of luck in all their future endeavors.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Just don't send us fruitcake.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

{"name":"epic-fail1.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/3\/932a8e0622ae48e628193c6921ea3921.jpg","w":492,"h":540,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/3\/932a8e0622ae48e628193c6921ea3921"}epic-fail1.jpg

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I don't like the pic.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Try C# before giving up. Seriously, it's by far the least insane programming language there is.

You don't deserve my sig.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Specter Phoenix, I wish you well. Do stop by from time to time, of course.

jhuuskon said:

Try C# before giving up.

Real men program with punch cards. >:(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

After spending 12 years trying to learn C++ unsuccessfully.

That's a long time. It shouldn't take that long. There are books such as "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days".

That aside though, it isn't necessary to know each and every language facility of C++ to be productive with it.

I second the suggestion to try C#. It has been my main programming language at the day job for the last four years and I even learned some concepts from it which I adapted into my C++ programming style.

Anyway, Goodbye. Live long and prosper.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

After spending 12 years trying to learn C++ unsuccessfully.

It depends on what you mean by "learn". I spent 2 years programming in C++ and I think I have learned it. By learned I mean I can program efficiently in it. I know how to use OOP and the various language constructs... I still don't know everything of course.

But, if after 12 years you didn't learn to use the language, then I agree with you, do anything, just don't program.

Good luck.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Real men program with punch cards.

I bought a soldering iron yesterday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Yeah, we know that xkcd strip is hilarious so no need to post it again.

You don't deserve my sig.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Gee, I'd think someone who doesn't enjoy programming wouldn't waste 12 years of their life on it...

Dennis said:

I second the suggestion to try C#. It has been my main programming language at the day job for the last four years and I even learned some concepts from it which I adapted into my C++ programming style.

C# is excellent, but I'd suggest Python. C# has a lot of C++ heritage, which is great if you know C++ already, but counter-intuitive if you don't. Python is much easier to learn even if you do know C++.

jhuuskon said:

Yeah, we know that xkcd strip is hilarious so no need to post it again.

I'll do it anyway, just to annoy you....
Real programmers use rocks

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

{"name":"ars_longa_vita_brevis.PNG","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/6\/66ebf327bb0dc56d12086745fa6a7993.png","w":744,"h":638,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/6\/66ebf327bb0dc56d12086745fa6a7993"}ars_longa_vita_brevis.PNG

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

As I've blathered before, IMO C++ is more trouble than it's worth. The real obstacles to programming IMO are:
1) Understanding the problem "cold" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok
2) Allowing yourself big enough blocks of time to get warmed up to a problem
3) Building truly self sufficient modules that you can make a procedure or function that solves a problem well enough that you can treat it as a magic box and don't have to worry about how it works anymore.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Here is an easy to learn programming language for those that find C++ difficult:

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/abc/

It will teach you quite a lot about programming.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

C# is excellent, but I'd suggest Python.

I'm teaching myself python now.
I really hate weakly typed languages :(
(And it doesn't help that indentation is part of the syntax. Neither do the superfluous colons.)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I've gotten used to weakly typed languages. It can be nice at times being able to dynamically shape the code without lots of crazy changes. You do lose the comfort knowing that the code is consistent though.

I don't care for Python myself. I find it hard to read/write. Perhaps because I'm just not used to it. I don't know. I thought I was liking it, starting writing a program with it, got distracted, and when I returned couldn't read the code at all.

I really like Perl though. It's an awesome language. I have loose plans to learn Lisp/Scheme and Ruby now. I've heard good things about each of them.

I still prefer my C, C++, and C# though for appropriate applications. :) I guess Java too.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Don't listen to these guys. You've made a good decision. Enjoy life while you still can.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I'm teaching myself python now.

Did you confuse it with learning? :o

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

type568 said:

Did you confuse it with learning?

Same difference.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I've been reading the book, "Teach Yourself C++ Programming In 21 Days" off and on for about three years. The furthest I got was day 17. It's a very simplistic book that doesn't explain the logic behind the syntax. I think I found a few errata in it as well. Go enjoy life, learn to sail, play a musical instrument, write the book, "Teach Yourself To Pick Up Women In 21 Days", and drop by anytime.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I figured out Python in six hours. Seriously, I borrowed a Python book from a friend the day before a homework assignment was due, figured out the language, then finished my assignment, in six hours. I totally love Python.

To the OP: not programming isn't a reason to stop hanging out at A.cc. I'd wager that quite a few of us hardly program at all these days. Until I picked up Python, I pretty much hadn't programmed in a year, except for a few small homework assignments.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

{"name":"1289119-this_thread_again_super.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/a\/2a4dc6aa0b2ca13291003ff91ebff176.jpg","w":460,"h":500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/a\/2a4dc6aa0b2ca13291003ff91ebff176"}1289119-this_thread_again_super.jpg

Haven't seen this thread in a while.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

I really hate weakly typed languages

I think you are confusing "weakly typed" with "dynamically typed" (or maybe duck typed) ;) Python is strongly typed. [1]

Python is nice but I prefer ruby. Pretty much the same language but with a far better syntax (imo, obviously).

1   2   3   4 

Go to: