Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » You can't have enough DRM. Assassin's Creed 2

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
You can't have enough DRM. Assassin's Creed 2
SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

bamccaig said:

Also, IIRC, you are a religious man, so it was somewhat of a cheap shot.

I'm not :P Weak Atheism ftw.

Trezker said:

I think that's bad too. When you pirate a game and proceed talking about it with friends and on forums etc.. you're promoting that game and make more people buy it.

Unless I'm helping them pirate it.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

EDIT: Likely misinterpreted.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Theft:

Quote:

the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another; larceny.

As was said, but I believe not as clear, piracy does not deprive the Intellectual Property holders of their Intellectual Property, which is the only thing at stake here.

If you go into a store, grab a game off the shelf, and leave the store without paying, you've stolen material goods; "personal goods or property of another."

If you download a game off the internet, you've copied a game which is protected by copyrights and IP laws.

So, unless you want to rewrite the English language, please stop saying piracy is theft. It isn't. Use a different word, maybe, like piracy.

bamccaig said:

but it's another to blatantly break them expecting to be above them.

While this does not hold true for all countries, in the United States of America we are all above the law, including immigrants (illegal or otherwise)! Why?

Abraham Lincoln

Quote:

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Every man, woman, and child in this nation has the right to challenge our laws in a courtroom, all the way to the Supreme Court.

Obviously that doesn't mean you should go around breaking laws because you think you're better than them. I am just saying that it is dangerous to assume laws control people, and that you cannot disobey them without punishment. If a law is truly unjust, it is the American duty to challenge it.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Billybob said:

please stop saying piracy is theft. It isn't. Use a different word, maybe, like piracy

Digital plagiarism?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Havent we been through this like 9000 times? We are not going to reach a consensus.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I don't say that piracy is theft because some faceless lawmaker tells me so. Even if the law did say piracy is theft, that wouldn't be enough to convince me it is true.

I'm glad that the law doesn't determine your morality. I would be kind of disappointed if that constant anti-piracy propaganda got in you.

Havent we been through this like 9000 times?

We have. But what else could you expect from a DRM thread? I hoped someone wouldn't appear saying "Blame pirates!", but rather think of what could be more useful as a DRM. Look at the ridiculous example I posted about Assassin's Creed and Settlers. Wouldn't it be better to at least "pause" the game rather than making you lose your progress to the last checkpoint? It shouldn't save the game, I agree, because that would be cheesing(and the engine probably can't manage to save in another place than a checkpoint), but something better would be to at least pause the game.

My fear is that they aren't morons who don't understand how to deal with piracy. I fear that what they're really trying to do is excuse behind piracy, and stop making ports for PC games.

Why would I buy an XBox 360 if most of their games can be ported to the PC? Because they might stop porting them arguing that the sales are so low(and they forced them to be low with their crappy protections), and make them consoles exclusive.

There's one game I was hoping for the last year, Brutal Legend, mainly because it was produced and designed by Tim Schaffer. Sadly, it didn't get a PC port. The reasons behind this are strange and obscure(and none of Tim's responses convinced me), since the PC community is the one who loved his games in the first place.

OK, buy the game, set the shrink wrapped POS on the shelf, pirate something that works (you DID pay for it after all) and play it. No problem.

I bought a product. I expect the product to work, not to make me look for a cheap imitation.

SiegeLord said:

Precisely! I pirate games to drive those companies out of existence, by not supporting them monetarily.

Ummm, SiegeLord, what's your position with piracy? I don't see how would you help decrease their sales by pirating(unless you seeded torrents, or uploaded them yourself :-X) by downloading games. You play the games and you want the companies that made them disappear? Why, you were disappointed with their products, or it's some sort of punishment?

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

And the idea of reselling (like a book) bites the dust. Sony wants each secondhand buyer of the game to cough up an extra $20. What would people do if Ford did this to used car buyers? What would Congress do?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37605/Now-Sony-joins-pre-owned-offensive

[EDIT]

Quote:

Koller is also confident that consumers will react well to the news – despite the fact that Ubisoft was forced to defend its proposition in the face of angry gamers.

“From our research, this will be received quite positively,” he insisted.

This is rather like Obama

<paraphrase>
"I'm sure the American people are 100% behind me that we need to waste billions of dollars against stuff that probably won't happen anyway"
</paraphrase>

[EDIT2]
And Valve wants to root your computer to "prevent cheating" (Well, that's probably true enough now)

http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/gaming/steamed-valve-software-battles-videogame-cheaters

[EDIT3]
And an hour and a half ago I was adding to this when the ISP shut off the internet. I thought it was because in spite of hearing the words "5GB cap" when getting installed, but the main web site now says minimum cap is 100GB per month, I indulged in a half-hour of YouTube a couple hours earlier. But it turns out that the monthly payment had gotten lost in the shuffle during the Presidents Day holiday >:( Now I'm too pissed off to remember what I was gonna write here.

[EDIT4]
AND NOW THE DAMNED POWER WENT OUT FOR SEVERAL SECONDS! (furtively looking out the window for black vans)

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

And an hour and a half ago I was adding to this when the ISP shut off the internet

Quote:

AND NOW THE DAMNED POWER WENT OUT FOR SEVERAL SECONDS!

Thank goodness you weren't playing Assassin's Creed 2!

dario ff said:

and stop making ports for PC games.

I'm curious why game development companies would be motivated to work exclusively on console games. I think a lot of people argue that it is easier, due to the stable platform. My counter-argument would be that it is just as difficult, because you can't design for only one console. Well, you can (and they do), but for the largest share of gamers you need a multi-platform release. I would imagine developing a game for both the PS3 and XBox 360, let alone the Wii (having a different controller), is just as complex if not more so than developing for the PC. Honestly, I'd prefer to develop PC only!

The only other reason I can think of, is that they believe the consoles have more protection against pirates. For single-player games, this isn't true at all. In fact, it's easier to pirate console games. Since the developers depend on the console's protection, the games themselves have no DRM. Once you've broken the console, the gates of freedom blow open and pirating is as simple as download->burn. Multiplayer is a bit more difficult, although the hackers are making it easier and easier to stealth 360 games (not sure about other consoles). Nevertheless, at least it's possible to play pirated console games online. It's impossible to do that with most PC games.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

dario ff said:

I don't see how would you help decrease their sales by pirating(unless you seeded torrents, or uploaded them yourself :-X) by downloading games. You play the games and you want the companies that made them disappear? Why, you were disappointed with their products, or it's some sort of punishment?

Well of course I don't think that... no sane person thinks that piracy is decreasing sales ;). They however think that, so I pirate ironically, or perhaps to spite them. Sure you might say, "They don't care about you spiting them, they don't know who you are"... well, that's my entire point.

I don't even play new games... heh.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

{"name":"791728635_VJ8Qa-L.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/8309d7df2feadf163d6ced5f5fcedb06.jpg","w":800,"h":408,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/8309d7df2feadf163d6ced5f5fcedb06"}791728635_VJ8Qa-L.jpg

I wondered why they had a scarecrow, until it dawned on me that it's supposed to be a straw man instead.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

dario ff said:

I hoped someone wouldn't appear saying "Blame pirates!", but rather think of what could be more useful as a DRM.

I know next to nothing about DRM, I know especially little about what good DRM would be like. That's why I didn't say anything. It just bothers me when people try to justify immorality.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I vote with my wallet. That said, I'm voting quite frequently these days.

DRM is for suckers.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Speaking of DRM, Silent Hunter 5 will be released as well with online only playing. So what happens to UBIsoft? such as the company going broke and not having servers in the future? Will it mean this game will no longer play?
I can't imagine this game being playable 20 years from now even though the graphics look good enough even 100 years from now (judging by how companies in the computer industry go broke and don't support any game after wards, no profit) . Not that games will not be that much better; but still, its like chess with better graphics and people play that game a 1000 years later.
Heres a screen shot:

{"name":"800px-SH5_Screenshot.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/d\/2d1cdde8b873b74bc1f6f528cd5ff990.jpg","w":800,"h":500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/d\/2d1cdde8b873b74bc1f6f528cd5ff990"}800px-SH5_Screenshot.jpg

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I have a suggestion for all you who want to get rid of DRM.

Start buying games that don't use DRM, without caring about whether you'll actually play it. Just buy them because they don't have DRM.

I think that's the ultimate way to show the game industry what you want. Actually sacrificing your personal economy on crap products to get the point through their thick greedy heads.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

What are you, women?! If you want to tell them you think DRM is bullshit then TELL THEM. Your bullshit games accomplish nothing. Honestly, sales need to improve for DRM to go away. That's fact. Keep pirating and say goodbye to PC gaming. That's just inevitable.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

bamccaig said:

Honestly, sales need to improve for DRM to go away. That's fact. Keep pirating and say goodbye to PC gaming.

Actually, they need to realize that the only people are the alienating with intrusive DRMs are the customers. The pirates don't have to deal with them. That's fact. Or rather, my opinion. Just as that was your opinion (and not a fact).

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Its a bit late, but here it goes.

At least pirating doesn't threaten anyones lives. You cant say the same about speeding now can you? What is more immoral? ;D

In capitalist America bank robs you.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Havent we been through this like 9000 times? We are not going to reach a consensus.

Exactly. That's why I skipped over last two pages. Especially through those lengthy[1] posts.

One more thing. If there's a speed limit set by the law, then you are obliged to obey it. If you do speed and are prepared to pay your fine, then it's good. Otherwise you'd be an asshole if you'd bitch about paying it. But still that doesn't removes the "douchebag stick" of your forehead.

As far as piracy goes, you are using somebody elses' work without giving him credit for it. If that's morally right for you, then fine. But just don't walk around and say you have right to do it, because you don't or any other bullshit like that making a world better place crap or anything like that. Be fair and admit that you're doing it, because you can.

On the other hand we can all agree, that apart from badly crafted cracks causing bugs, the pirates have somewhat better gaming expirience than legit players facing all kinds of DRM's and other means of protection. I don't say it's bad to use it. I just say that this kind of DRM is a step in the wrong way. So if you really want to make world a better place, then just don't play the game.

References

1. Damn, mine's got quite long as well.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I wonder how difficult it could be to crack that system and also whether it would suffice to just remove the check calls from the code or whether it would be necessary to sniff the outgoing and incoming packets, write an emulator based on that and redirect the games phone home feature to connect to that.

Disclaimer: I'm not encouraging anyone to crack that system or to pirate that game. Just thinking about the technical side of this, because it hasn't been brought up yet.

More thoughts: If I were to develop a "constant connection needed" system like that I'd probably somehow personalize and encrypt the information that would get sent to my DRM servers, so that if anyone would get the silly idea of doing what I suggested above(packet emulator) I could at least tell by the data in the cracked copy with the emulator that is sure to surface on the web sooner or later, who I'd have to contact for legal countermeasures.

Hm, something like this is probably just going to be the next step: Personalized DRM, requirement to register with ID card, home address, fingerprint, DNA sample and you have to agree to have a webcam installed behind your back, which is on 24/7 and it will monitor everything you do on your computer just to make sure you're not doing anything silly with the game.

Why no, I'm not paranoid at all. ;D

P.S.: Not going to buy that or any other game with that kind of intrusive copy protection.

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

Dennis said:

I wonder how difficult it could be to crack that system and also whether it would suffice to just remove the check calls from the code or whether it would be necessary to sniff the outgoing and incoming packets, write an emulator based on that and redirect the games phone home feature to connect to that.

Depends on how they go about it it. Removing the check might be a little more work then just that, becuase it sounds like they don't even support saving locally at all, and you'll need a way to browse local saves.

Now if they decided to go even further and embed some logic online, then yeah you're going to want to write a local server to emulate Ubisoft's, and redirect connections to you're local server (this might even be easier). Either way would work, and they are certainly doable.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

There have been two addendums to the original article in the OP, one which says that games are saved locally and uploading them is optional, the other links to an interview with Ubi, which says they have a way to patch the DRM out of the games in case of emergency (servers taken down forever, company failure, etc.).

If they had some of the games logic online, there couldn't be a single patch programme to patch all of the games (and all future games to use the DRM system), unless there was a copy of the logic already included in the offline files. If there is some of the game logic online and a copy of that logic exists in the offline files though, it would be easy for an experienced cracker to find those bits and pieces and patch the system out of the games himself.

So I don't think there is currently any logic needed for the game, which is running only on their servers and it doesn't seem be an option (unless their patch programme needs additional files for each game).

However, the fact they say there is a patch means it has already been "cracked". Heh. It's just that it's theirs and pirates will either have to write their own or wait until it leaks.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Dennis said:

there couldn't be a single patch programme to patch all of the games

Of course there could. The missing logic could be in the patch itself. Although I doubt they have any logic on the servers. It would limit the game experience even more than just checking if a connection is active, and it would put undue strain on Ubisoft's servers.

(Guess work): The game is packed; compressed, encrypted. All the DRM code is obfuscated. When the game launches it starts a separate thread which maintains a connection to Ubisoft. If that connection ever goes down it sets a flag. Throughout the game logic are obfuscated instances of code that checks that flag. If they ever see it, they exit back to the main menu. They also watch for the presence of that thread. If it goes down, they terminate the program.

So, pretty much the same thing Securom does, except one of the checks is a web connection to Ubisoft.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dennis said:

If they had some of the games logic online, there couldn't be a single patch programme to patch all of the games (and all future games to use the DRM system), unless there was a copy of the logic already included in the offline files.

What? The whole point of a patch is to add and/or remove data. In the case of patching a program, the data is code. The remote checks can be removed and the online-only code added. If there are multiple binary releases, use SHA1SUMs or something to determine which version you're patching so you know which patches to apply. Simple.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Dennis said:

If they had some of the games logic online, there couldn't be a single patch programme to patch all of the games (and all future games to use the DRM system)

Different games use different game logic, hence it is impossible to have a single patch ready at this point in time for all possible future games, unless the part of the game logic that was served online was also stored in some offline file which already comes with the game (unless, as I said, there will be different data files needed to patch the individual games).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Go to: