Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [A5] Dune Smasher - Framework Test

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[A5] Dune Smasher - Framework Test
Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Dune Smasher!

EDIT: Updated 1/15

New version! There´s a bunch of new features in this update!
Changes:

• Hopefully most bugs were fixed.

• 5 New secondary weapons, homing missile, flamethrower, zap gun, laser gun, and finally, the nuclear attack(you´re lucky if you get it).

• Added crates that fall to the stage in random positions periodically. The content of these crates is hidden until you grab them, so you should better check them out. There might be a health pack.

• Randomized enemies, with different coloring, size, and health.

• Difficulty increases the more time you play.

• Widescreen support. It increases the play size, which IMO, is better.

Use your high-tech heavy armored tank to blast the enemy jeeps! Shoot 'em, blast 'em, crash 'em, zap'em, burn'em, pierce'em, pursuit'em, and finally... nuke'em! Nothing is enough for this great tank.

I've decided to start fresh this year with a new framework(mostly inspired by Mark's one ;)) that would solve all my problems of laziness and C/C++ mixture of my old one. So I coded today this little game to test my actual framework's capabilities with most computers. Obviously it isn't finished yet, but its base might be enough to show what I'm aiming towards with this new framework. I'm trying to bring back most of the features that OpenLayer had(Garbage Collection is a must :)), but using A5, as well as adding new features I like. The source code is available, waiting for one of the pros to come and tear it to shreds, and tell me how should I code :P

Screenshot

{"name":"600293","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7f6bdbeb3e61877b0d9c61289ee2a066.jpg","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7f6bdbeb3e61877b0d9c61289ee2a066"}600293

Download

Source code and Windows binaries Updated Version

Watch out, this new version is defaulted to 1280 x 768, so if you don´t have that resolution, edit the settings.ini file.

(If you know A5 games don't run well on your system, don't download it :P This one won't be the exception surely.) Wait, this is A4.9.16, which has some bugs corrected regarding font drawing. Maybe you should give it a try.

Questions

1) Does it even run? Smooth? No stutters?
2) Average FPS and your specs?
3) Did you find the game too hard or too easy? Post your score! (F12 to save the Score in a screen)
4) Is this game worth of any additions like powerups or new enemies?

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

1) Smooth, however I think it crashed when I hit Escape in the middle of the game...

2) 60 FPS on AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ at 2.44 GHz with an NVidia GeForce 9600 GT

3) Just right, score: 998573856

4) More variety would be nice

Cool game 8-)

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

1. It runs without a hitch.
2. 60 FPS on Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 @ 2.1 GHz with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 series
3. I find it a bit hard, and I only got 13550. But maybe it's because I'm not much of a gamer.
4. Powerups will be a nice addition. And health packs.

Oh, and I like the creepy background music. ;D

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

1) Runs smooth
2) 59 FPS, Althon XP 2000+ NVidia GeForce 6600GT
3) Alright, but a bit confusing: 22963
4) More missiles! And health packs, at least.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

dario ff said:

mostly inspired by Mark's one ;)

Yea, baby. 8-)

What does K in KGF stand for? I'm assuming is GF "Game Framework".

You should add a check for the window's close button.

Other than that everything works for me. I was playing and ran into an enemy and was like "enemies blow up? hell yea!" To which I proceeded to plow through all my enemies. :P

Also, you should turn on the anisotropic or linear filter to smooth out the jaggies. It's available in the allegro.cfg somewhere.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I'm pretty sure anisotropic filtering does not work in A5, but linear does.

I'll try this game later, probably.

Shravan
Member #10,724
February 2009

{"name":"600288","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/a\/4aae6dbc37980b173f10bfc71583b8ed.png","w":600,"h":300,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/a\/4aae6dbc37980b173f10bfc71583b8ed"}600288

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Windows 7 x64, Geforce 8600M GT. Run smooth at my lcd's refresh rate: 60 hz.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

It's okay but why doesn't it support my 3D monitor?

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

blargmob said:

I think it crashed when I hit Escape in the middle of the game...

I hate those post-closing crashes. Something is not deleting well as it should.

blargmob said:

Just right, score: 998573856

I said:

Post your score! (F12 to save the Score in a screen)

Screenshot or it didn´t happen ;D

Fishcake said:

Oh, and I like the creepy background music. ;D

That song is part of one the best games ever made. Let´s see who´s the first one who recognises it.

Yea, baby. 8-)

You knew your lazy coding style would inspire people.

Mark Oates said:

What does K in KGF stand for?

It´s a secret!

Mark Oates said:

Also, you should turn on the anisotropic or linear filter to smooth out the jaggies. It's available in the allegro.cfg somewhere.

Thanks! I was wondering why rotation in A5 looked like software-accelerated :P

@Shravan: I´m happy to see you took the time to press F12 :)

It's okay but why doesn't it support my 3D monitor?

Maybe I can code an exclusive version for you with 3D jeeps and explosions :o

So far, it seems no one ran into problems. Til Paul or Felix come in to crash the party. Maybe they should test it anyway, since I´m using A4.9.16 now.

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Shravan
Member #10,724
February 2009

What does K in KGF stand for? I'm assuming is GF "Game Framework".

dario ff said:

It´s a secret!

May be its a recursive acronym for KGF Game Framework.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

dario ff said:

That song is part of one the best games ever made. Let´s see who´s the first one who recognises it.

It sounds very familiar but I can't quite place it...

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

You should rename it to Poon Smasher.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

New version Uploaded! Check the first post for details. There´s a lot of new gameplay elements now. Need testing!

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Is that like a _cunt punt?

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

dario ff said:

this is A4.9.16, which has some bugs corrected regarding font drawing

A side note abou this. My framework caches rendered text to a bitmap which is subsequently used instead of direct font drawing. As I recall, there were still problems with framerate playback despite this, so it may not be font drawing that's causing the speed issues that some people have noticed.

Sirocco said:

Is that like a _cunt punt?

It's a little different, like, "The other night I met this hot chick and we went back to her place and I smashed that poon!"

--

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

A side note abou this. My framework caches rendered text to a bitmap which is subsequently used instead of direct font drawing. As I recall, there were still problems with framerate playback despite this, so it may not be font drawing that's causing the speed issues that some people have noticed.

The fancy new deferred rendering stuff in the latest WIP has reduced the font rendering overhead significantly. Allegro 4.9 also did cached font rendering, and it was still slow, the slow part was sending all those drawing commands in spurts. Or so it seems. Batching them all up at once in a single go seems to have sped it up a lot.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

It sounds very familiar but I can't quite place it...

Here's an obvious clue:

My framework caches rendered text to a bitmap which is subsequently used instead of direct font drawing.

Allegro 4.9 also did cached font rendering

So you cached a cache? ;D This should be documented, so people can avoid this mistake in the future.

Give me 3 good reasons and I'll do it.

Shravan said:

Maybe it's a recursive acronym for KGF Game Framework.

FTFY.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

dario ff said:

So you cached a cache? ;D This should be documented, so people can avoid this mistake in the future.

There are 3 different caches. The first is caching the glyph bitmaps loaded from the font file, this the only thing Allegro used to do (it still does it). The second is caching the drawing operations (instead of many al_draw_bitmaps using in effect one), this is the new feature in 4.9.16, courtesy of the deferred rendering. The third is caching the output of those draw bitmap calls, this is what Mark does, but Allegro does not.

Using the third cache (in addition to using the previous two) should be still a little faster than than using only the first two, although the difference should be much smaller now than before (when only the first cache was used). We could add a third cache of our own, caching the kerning values, but that will have to wait until someone starts complaining of the slowness of TTF font drawing again :P

Hopefully that made sense ;)

EDIT: I suppose the second cache is more properly called a batch... w/e not rewriting my post :P

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

SiegeLord said:

I suppose the second cache is more properly called a batch...

Indeed. That's how every allegro dev named it. I don´t know, and ain´t interested either in the exact terminology, but I always assumed cache goes for storing something and avoid loading or processing the same data again, and batch goes stacking up piles of commands for a single call later. I also hope this made sense.

Go to: